Better GUI description of status effects

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ButtonPusher, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I feel that some players, especially new players, are still having difficulties knowing exactly what status effect they currently have and what specific medicinal item they need to use to cure the status effect. I wish that things could be much more clear to the player, as the icon shown doesn't fully show specifically and exactly which status effect it is, there are no words to show this when observed in the GUI.

Yes I know about the pop-up stating what happened to you, but in the heat of battle it can easily be missed. Also, when the player is not currently occupied with fighting enemies, they then go to look at what status effect they have (be it a bite, or alien parasite) they seem to get confused, and do not know how to properly treat it since they do not know what item to use based on not knowing exactly what status effect they currently have. I have seen this occur in MANY Youtube videos from different content producers. This is a something that affects every new player to the game.

This is the gap that needs to be filled, the player should clearly be able to know what has happened to them, and how to effectively treat it before they die and become frustrated with not having the proper information easily at their fingertips. Thank you for your time and I hope that this can be remedied with little effort.

2. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Yes, if there would be one graphical addition to this game I would like this point - it would be clear indicators of your current status.

For example - if you are poisoned, you would see slight green at the edge of the sceen. Parasite - veins showing at the edge of the screen. And so on. This in addition to clear text sign on your screen. The current graphical ones are not well noticeable. To this same note, I wish helmet would be more noticeable too (but not too intrusive). Currently its easy to forget whether you have helmet on or not. This is a minor thing at this point (as are lots of graphical stuff) - but I think they would make the game slightly more accessible/forgiving especially for new players.

In addition to this it wouldn't be bad thing if game told me in advance that I am running low on O2, food whaterver - not when I am literally running on fumes. Something like "You are down to 25% oxygen" popping on the screen would be a good thing.

3. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I agree rainyday, the helmet would give some sort of glow perhaps, or some of the very edge corners of the screen could have some sort of circutry or lights to show the player obviously has his helmet equipped, the current slight shadowing is not intrusive, but is not entirely noticeable either. Graphical status effects on screen would be nice as well, not a bad idea.

I am just wondering if the devs could simply add something, not necessarily to the heads up display GUI, but add something to the player inventory screen when opened. A single word like "bite" or "parasite" or "wound" next to or underneath the icon I believe would suffice, but an icon by itself isn't entirely clear to the player, not clear enough. Most new players are not going to automatically be inclined to hover their mouse cursor over the icon to have a word pop up either. A simple and easy to implement change to include a short description of the current status effect easy for the player to find and read would be the missing link to eliminate the confusion and potential frustration of things occurring as a result.

"Oh I got bit by an alien, all it shows me is this poison scorpion tail tip, so what do I have then, a bite? Am I poisoned? Do I have an alien parasite? What? What do I do? What item do I use to cure this?"

^ This is something I've heard in various forms from many Youtube and Twitch players during a video or livestream. They all say something different, but very similar. If so many different people playing the game end up saying the same basic things during their recordings / streams, when this happens to them, then this is a common thing that clearly needs attention from the developers, as something is apparently missing and causing this to occur to many players across the board.

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  4. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

This is not something that most new players will even think about doing, it is not intuitive enough.

Attached Files:

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  5. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Yeah, agree. Im just teaching two of my friends to play and as they are not yet accustomed to the different ailments (or even checking out oxygen/food until its too late) they are constantly dying or almost dying because the game doesn't give clear enough warning signs.

It shows that its not really intuitive - but rather something you learn the hard way as you play the game long enough.

Challenge is fine and new players (their characters) dying of poison is fine. But it needs to be because they can't find antidote in time - not because they have no clue they are poisoned or what to do about it.

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

A few things could help this:
    • Those icons should be in bright red (not white). Then pulse, blink, that is visually distracting to the player to see 'oh, crap'.
    • There really needs to be a bit more audio effects associated with being inflicted with something too.
    • Would be nice if all medicinal item's tooltips show all red icons they 'treat'. This is so at a glance, one can see "ok, this will treat the scorpion tail thingy". No reading needed.
    • Hovering over the infliction in player window, should show a list of icons (and their name) of the things that cure it in reverse.
    The biggest issue I come across, is, even though I know I'm inflicted, and I know how to find info on it, and read the giant box of text... I still scratch my head on the verbiage and matching up verbiage of tool infos of medical items to make. Hoping that the language translation I'm running in, has the same words linked up...

7. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Totally agreed on this. It's really easy to just wanna Antidote Injection the Alien Parasite & lazy kill everything else with Large Medkits just to take the damn complexity outta it. We shouldn't have to be Ph.D Doctors to stay alive, we're Explorers & Adventurers.

ButtonPusher and rainyday like this.
  8. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

Love all of your ideas. Status effects should have some visual notification around the screen. There have been times when I was fighting a mob and started to run off only to find I had no stamina. Then I have to check the icon, etc, and go through my supplies to find the cure and sometimes I guess wrong with the cure. lol. I have also died from starvation just because I was playing the game and not watching my food bar. No warning at all. Instant death. Add a stomach growl.