Blinking light blocks to add on ships

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Foxxravin, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Foxxravin

Foxxravin Ensign

I think it would be a great visual feature to have light blocks that blink on flying ships and on high towers

ion_storm, Mortlath, Neal and 2 others like this.
  2. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Agreed.

3. Console [CONTEMPT]

Or have a control panel option that would work for all lights to have them blink and maybe even customize the frequency.

ion_storm likes this.
  4. Captain_Brian

Captain_Brian Commander

Yeah, the best and easiest would be to add a few options to each individual light's control panel.

• Blink
      • Disabled (Always On)
      • Frequency (Input box, allowing intervals down to 0.1 seconds)
      • Duration % (Input box, % of frequency time that light is on)
      • Dim (Slider, allows you to select how fast the light dims during blinking. Anywhere from instant to a slow fade in and out.)
      • Randomize (Adds an additional random % modifier to the frequency and duration, good to simulate derelicts or spooky lighting)
      • Alternate Color (If specified, alternates between the selected primary color and this one each blink)
      • Color Fade (If specified, the light doesn't turn off each blink, but instead fades between the primary and alternate colors. This uses the dim setting to figure out if it will be a fade between the lights or an instant alternation.)
    Other settings:
    • Brightness (Slider that allows you to select the normal default brightness, effects the wattage usage)
    • Range (Slider that allows you to change how far the light shines, effects the wattage usage)

Not to mention, we need to be able to rename and group blocks for this not to become tedious in managing these. Also, the default wattage usage for all lights needs to be reduced from 1killowat down to something like .01 % of that.

ion_storm, TNTBOY479 and Neal like this.
  5. PopeUrban

PopeUrban Lieutenant

I'd like to see device block groups we can add to the hotbar so that we have more streamlined options for power control than "all on" "all off" and "stumble through this massive list of stuff I can't rename trying to find just the stuff I want to turn on or off"

But yes, blinking lights should be a thing for sure.

6. JigglySackles

JigglySackles Ensign

I'm adding this since it is a google hit even though the thread is way old. You can't strobe or have a permanent blink, but you can make a light blink. I'm posting the same under steam.

You can't create a constant blinking light but you can create a light that blinks a specified number of times. I made one last night.

Have a switch send a signal. We will call it SW00.Tx

SW00.Tx starts a bank of delays and is the set in a set/reset block.

When I say bank of delays, in this case I've made 7 delays that feed off one another so SW00.Tx triggers a delay of 1 second and then sends signal DelaySig00. DelaySig00 initiates another delay of 1 second and then sends signal DelaySig01. Keep making these until you are sending DelaySig06 as the last delay signal.

For the Set/Reset blocks you will need one for each blink so make 4 in this case.The first Set/Reset block will use SW00.Tx to set as mentioned above. Then it uses DlaySig00 from the delay bank to reset. The signal being sent can be called SR00.So SW00.Tx turns on SR00 and DelaySig00 turns SR00 off.

The remaining S/R blocks will use the following
    s: DelaySig01
    r: DelaySig02
    q: SR01

s: DelaySig03
    r: DelaySig04
    q:SR02

s: DelaySig05
    r: DelaySig06
    q: SR03

Then have all the SR0x signals feed into an OR gate. Which outputs signal Blink00.

Have your light set to trigger (follow) on Blink00.

It's not perfect. If you use a light barrier for example and stay in the activation path longer than the delay it doesn't work. But if you threw a switch or wanted it to blink as you were moving past without stopping, then it works.

TL;DR - Technically possible, but cumbersome and not very functional.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. JigglySackles

JigglySackles Ensign

And as a suggestion or thought to add to all of this it would be nice to control the switch type to set it as momentary where you trigger it but then it doesn't care if you are still in the way of the light path or not it just goes through its process without retriggering until you leave the light field and reenter it.

8. Gawain

Gawain Commander

It would just be nice if they offered a tick electronic. For example. Follow this than Tick than execute this. And easy loop could be establish to either blink or alternate blinking lights.

For those who are unfamiliar with logic devices a tick is a delay.

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

A slider for the blink frequency and a signal input for toggling blinking would be most excellent.

Actually, 1kW is about right (actually a bit low for CV/BA lights):

Normal daylight (not direct sunlight) represents an illuminance of about 25000 lux. 1 lux is 1 lm/m^2, so 100000 lumens would be needed to light a 2m x 2m surface. Assuming our lights are LEDs with an efficiency of 100 lm/W, then this light would need to be 1kW. Additionally, since 1 lumen is 1 candela * steradian, and the half-opening-angle of 1 steradian is about 30 degrees, this light would need to be located about 2m from the surface it's illuminating (in order for the cone of light to hit the whole 4 m^2 surface). Therefore, 1kW for lights is actually not crazy. Not sure if Eleon did this calculation or not, but the math checks out anyway :).

Now, granted, it doesn't work out quite so well for SV/HV blocks (that are 0.5 m on a side; 6250 lumens required to light the block, but a light is 1.5 m from the surface that is lit, so the subtended solid angle is 0.25 of a steradian, meaning that the light must put out 25000 lumens, and consume 0.25kW). But, given that CV/BA lights are typically used in spaces that are 2 blocks high, their actual output should be more like 4 kW (so, similar to the grow light). Unless we want to more accurately model the power consumption difference between SV/HV and CV/BA lights, making both of them 1 kW splits the difference somewhat nicely.

Frankyln and Gawain like this.
  10. Xenophon

Xenophon Commander

did you people not read thread posting date?

11. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

Its better to continue on an existing thread about the same topic then create a new one

ion_storm, geostar1024 and Mortlath like this.
  12. Xenophon

Xenophon Commander

I thought necro posting was not allowed but ok then, time to raise some zombies.

13. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Commander

Well this topic is very much relevant still - I was trying to make navi-lights for my ship, and spent a couple hours trying to find some way to make them blink.. until finally concluding pretty much what the earlier post here says - I can sort of make them blink with logic circuits.. but not for very long, and it's totally unpractical. So some way to support this and make it possible to build blinking lights would be great.