Blocked and Corrupted Playfields crippling my server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by stimdealer0001, Jul 24, 2018.

1. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Hello Server Admins! And anyone else who has had this issue.

Have you had any problems, since Alpha 8 was released, with playfields becoming 'blocked' (as shown in telnet when trying to enter) and even corrupted playfields when trying to teleport or fly into a planet's atmosphere?

I've been having this issue with my server since A8 was released, and still having this issue after the release of 8.2.

To try to stop these playfields from blocking or becoming corrupted, i've even wiped and rebuilt the planets, with a smaller size class and the latest playfield.yaml files from EGS>content>playfields. The issue is still occuring.

Server is hosted on Nitrado, so no RDP access, just a shitty web gui and telnet access.

2. Watcher330

Watcher330 Commander

Hey,
    If after restarting the server, the problem is the same, you must restore your "planet or space playfield folder" from a healthy backup (RollBack).
    but without RDP access ...
    this problem is often encountered with class 5 planets.

3. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

moved to relevant thread

4. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Thanks Silv
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I noticed it was happening more often with class 5's. Though it continued to be a problem even with freshly wiped and re-created class 3 and 4 planets on my server. I ended up shutting down since me and the other admins were getting tired of having to deal with the same issue over and over. And with no RDP access, hence no EAH Full to help out, it became too much of a chore.

I guess the realm of dedicated servers at this point is reserved for pay-to-win setups who need the 'capital' just to maintain their hardware/network needs.

5. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Don't be so quick to judge your hardware friend, even the guys with the 100000gb ram super servers cannot host a reliable & stable empyrion server atm.
    The code is simply not working well enough for modified large population servers and i strongly believe that servers with more than 8 people probably fall apart from the starter planets upward, regardless of ram capacity and the thousands of pounds spent on hardware.

Basic game generated multiplayer empyrion dedis will have more stability, but ultimately no matter what you do, no matter where you play, your gonna lose ships, progress, float in space freezing from a disconnect and detach from vessel, hit huge lag spikes run into corrupt playfields, no hv functionality over water and no bike functionality, lost connections and every other bug you read about in forums and everything I just stated is what I have experienced in the VERIFIED server in the last month not all in 1 server but yeah that many issues just trying to run a simple survival routine in the servers I was led to believe would promote the best EGS experience^_^

Truly shocking.

Beautiful and brilliantly crafted single player game, needs a lot lot lot lot more work to have a stable and successful multiplayer game for the population.
    I say empyrion MP as unplayable at this time for those who are seeking a committed long term serious survival attempt in a server with a decent population without being constantly bummed with instability and bug issues which mostly are the same issues that have been around as long as i have, alpha 5.5 maybe ?
    It is too fraught with issues.

Every patch I come back and the game looks and feels much better and hats off to eleon they truly created a beautiful game but the mp stability stinks and always has.

The mp side should remain beta experimental if anything.
    Just get left with frustration and disappointment after repeated attempts to find a stable server among the verified list only to find there is none !

The irony is its the non verified non attention wanting servers with default maps and a few guys playing together who probably get to play empyrion at its best. And likely hardly or never run into any of the issues I just mentioned.

I think that the best form of multiplayer this game will ever hope to achieve, like 8 man servers for groups of friends.
    Large population control is beyond the current mp coding potential of EGS afaics and eleon may need need to reevaluate its concept of this mp game as time continues as i suspect that what they are hoping to achieve and want to achieve is not possible, but I am rooting for them regardless !

The verified servers seem to be an example of what happens when you push the game to its limits in every way possible to make it unplayable by means of allowing an obviously over maxed amount of connections to the server hosting hundreds of play fields and whatever support mods they use.

The meaning of verified in the server list to me now only means...

VERIFIED = a verified example of what not to do with EGS! or a verifiable nightmare, whichever fits best.

but hey it was a valiant attempt from the hosts of these servers and some great work was put in clearly.
    Just appears to be too soon for the EGS mp codebase to handle.

I probably wont try another server until the game is officially released but who knows.
    For now I play in my own dedi alone in a semi creative environment, might as well be sp.

I just got bored building boats and have already played GTA once today, I am slowly slipping away from here again :D

Only for me to no doubt foolishly return and repeat the whole process again in alpha 9.

6. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Wow, that was a long read. But yeah I agree with you on some points.

Btw, quick update. The playfield corruption issue I was having seems to have been related to some deco items that were changed/updated by the devs, and never mentioned in patch notes anywhere. (Or I missed it)

Admins, just be sure to check your playfield.yaml's to verify all deco items are up to date. Compare them to the vanilla content folder's files if needed.

Anyway, me and my admin team are working on bringing a fresh version of Omicron Darkness back up in the near future, but I'm severely reducing the amount of 'custom content' we'll be using this time around, just to play it safe and stable.

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  7. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

We have that from time to time the Playfields are "blocked" but it has always been sufficient for us to restart the server as obviously files in the "control process" of the Playfield server depend.

And a pattern is unfortunately not yet visible :-(

8. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I run a verified server and I have to say... I mostly agree with you at this point. I love empyrion :) But multiplayer is in an abysmal state atm. If you host a sub 30 player server with default planets and yamls you are unlikely to have many problems. It really takes a nosedive after 30 players and / or heavy customization though. We have a cap of 80 players and it gets bad when it hits 80 in 8.x versions (Cpu and ram do not even have to be maxed out for it to get bad). And its not like our server is a potato either. Dual e5-2690 V2 processors with 128gb ram and fast as hell ssd's. We have hit almost max ram usage and max cpu usage at 40 players a few times before neutering our map a bit. Even at 40-50 players and 5-10 admins... Some days it gets challenging.

I honestly hoped that after 4 years of development the game would be farther along than it is. Chat is still quirky, alliances and Factions are quirky, multiplayer stability is actually much worse now than it was in 6 or 7 (Lots of changes were made though), and the game while it is much further along still lacks content after youre in a cv besides the very broken pvp that I hear may get yet another attempt at fixing in 9. Not to mention all the little bugs we faced like servers randomly updated to an experimental version and having to endure multiple wipes and major changes coming in randomly with no time to prep for them. Hurray for alpha hahahahaha!

Without an admin, and without EAH, the game is in an almost unplayable state in multiplayer currently. I do hope some day it improves though :)

9. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

I hope so too man. I hope so too. At this point, I'm not going to even bother making a new server until I see some changes that I like regarding multiplayer stability.

10. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

We had planned a second server there for a while as our primary server was packed full at 80 of 80 for weeks on end. But with the stability issues, them taking down server verification, all the talk about changing the definition of "PTW" (That suddenly just died), the lack of content after getting into a CV, and the rumors I hear on occasions... No Rcon port... Chat is crap... The modding API has major issues... We are looking for another game to replace empyrion as our primary focus until things here improve. Dont get me wrong... Man I really love this game... And I would never take down our current empyrion server. But its just had too many problems for too long and trying to support it at a larger scale would just be even more time consuming and even more expensive. Im not sure its worth it. Maybe after I learn a bit more C# it might be. But for now... Any further plans for empyrion involving us are off the table entirely after 8.0 unless things change. 8.0 has been a train wreck as far as servers go lol. There were MANY much needed changes... But the way it all got handled... Ugh. Even for an alpha... It was a dark time hahahahahaa.

stimdealer0001 likes this.
  11. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Has anyone had any success in narrowing down the culprit of these issues?