Blueprint Placement Mode

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rannoc McMaulin, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Rannoc McMaulin

Rannoc McMaulin Commander

The Problem:
    When placing a blueprint, it is your best guess as to where it will exactly appear. For HV/SV this is not too big a deal since they are small and can easily be moved. But for BA/CV this is problematic since BA's and some station CV's cannot be moved. A wrong placement of a BA could render things like O2 generators useless or have hangers facing mountain walls. Ship CV's could end up knocking into other nearby objects (SV, asteroids, etc...) causing either them or the CV to bounce away.

Solution:
    Give us a placement mode that can be toggled on or off instead of a 'One shot, here goes nothing' hotkey. While in placement mode, the blueprint is treated like a block and we see where it is and its facing. Also allow the same rotation control that we have with normal blocks. This will help out a great deal when we can use blueprints in survival and need to place outpost on planets in different systems. A wrongly place BA due to the current placement system could cause a catastrophic loss of resources.

Bonus Enhancements:
    - While in placement mode, to allow locked axis nudging to fine tune placement. The blueprint object is not committed until you exit placement mode.
    - Air Gaps that can be toggled on or off. This is like Cut & Paste Transparency but with blueprints and dirt. This would allow control over whether or not voids on the blueprint are treated as solid blocks or not. If Air Gaps are turned on, then the blueprint object would cutaway the dirt instead of be filled by it. This would allow placing blueprints like a BA with a basement without having to dig out all the dirt after placement.

2. GauHelldragon

GauHelldragon Commander

Yeah, right now trying to place a base from a blueprint is a real crap shoot. I haven't had any building collapses myself but I hear it's a problem. Myself, I always end up with a base half filled with dirt. We really need better feedback on what a base is going to look like once it is placed beyond the green giant mystery cube.

oojimaflip and Marty like this.
  3. Nisari'Nite'Fox

Ya like they need to make it so we can see maybe a hologram of the base or station were going to spawn in, instead of just a box. Like i made a base and i want to spawn it in on a server but its hard cause you cant rotate the base and you dont know which way is the entrance to the base.

4. Bocephus666

Bocephus666 Lieutenant

5. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

BP will always face 'away from you', in same direction. If you first spawn it in creative, you'll know how it faces and can turn it the correct way in survival. PGup and PGdown can move it up or down, and since you can spawn it 'underground' (partially or in whole), the best bet is generally to build at least two block levels 'underground' so you can spawn it that way - slightly underground, to kind of level it with ground.

Automatic leveling of ground is implemented, and used in server-spawned POIs, but I don't think it's going to happen in player-placed structured, since leveling/removing ground with miner is apparently meant as task of it's own (would be nice to give T2 HV miners the same level/fill abilities the T2 hand miner has, so you could use them as 'construction vehicle' when setting stage for bigger bases).

That's not to say the system couldn't be improved. Seeing at least the real outline of the base - perhaps just solid colored blocks where the BP has any block - would help guesstimating when the BA is in position that will make sense before you commit it. And even rendering the full base should work fine.

Sofianinho and oojimaflip like this.
  6. Miamato

Miamato Lieutenant

What would be really cool - instead of green cube that appears when you place blueprint to have smth like shadow model of placed item, that can be rotated and adjusted before you place. So you can see through it and precisely place.

When I placed my first CV I spent ~1 hour to get into it because it appeared in some pretty strange way.

7. Mortlath

Mortlath Commander

The issue is that digging out your base causes your base to look odd until the terrain hole is rendered when one is closer.

Thundercraft likes this.
  8. Gawain

Gawain Commander

Even if they offered an UNDO for a short period of time in any mode. For example say 2 minutes on BAs. If you click UNDO with in that time you can return the item to your factory.

Either that or let players place the item and then Confirm placement with a pop up box. This concept would have to allowing players to move around to verify placement is acceptable prior to clicking confirm, and abuse could be prevented if players could not access the control panel until confirm was clicked.

The calc on hollowing out a pillar base would be difficult. You would run into spaces that had blocking base parts on all sides yet represented a solid void. It is taxing to dig out a base, and nothing annoys me more than the tiny hovering rock that you ship gets hung up on everytime, however, digging it out by hand ensures that only the parts that players want hallowed out remain that way.

Thundercraft and Mortlath like this.
  9. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Now, we get to see a full rendering the base. And it is wonderful, except...

But that's just it: We can not change the facing of a blueprint. There does not seem to be an option to do that. Very often, in my experience, Workshop bases have the back facing the viewer. Since it's usually much more important to view it from the front in order to get the front door at the right height level and in order to see through windows to make sure the terrain isn't clipping anything, it's so much more useful if the facing is correct.

About the best we can do is spawn the base, then use the setrotation command to rotate it. However, this is anything but fun and it involves some guesswork. And if we wanted to upload this to the Workshop for others to enjoy, everyone else will run into the same issue.

The only other option is to press F5 and use the Drone to help view the front while placing. But this method has it's own difficulties and issues. For one thing: Once we press F5, the orientation of the blueprint becomes fixed - we can't rotate it any more.

Myself, I've learned the hard way that, when designing a new base, to place a few blocks around my Core, then save it and then try to spawn it in Creative. This way, I can be absolutely certain which side of the Core is facing the player when placing, so I can choose that side as the "front".

Leveling and Filling are two of the most boring, least fun things in the game. Take a look at comments in the What is the LEAST FUN single-task action in the game right now topic to see what I mean.

If the devs insist on making players do Leveling themselves, the least they could do is make it faster and less of a hassle. If nothing else, they could make extremely rapid Leveling possible with late-game vehicle-mounted equipment. But, personally, I would find the game more fun if automatic leveling (as seen around POI's) was a choice for placed blueprints.

10. SLI_Fallen

SLI_Fallen Lieutenant

Sorry to see that years later this is still an issue, as mentioned particularly with base blueprints. I've only just started using them. And every time it seems the solar panels are facing opposite the sun when you place the base. PLEASE give us the ability to rotate these before spawning.(even just 4 directions N,S,E,W would be most helpful)

11. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

You can and have been able to for years, you know... since this suggestion was implemented.
    You can rotate with the same buttons used for rotating blocks. Using Home/End you can move the BP further or closer to/from you so you can see the whole thing before placing it. You can even use PgUP and PgDN to raise and lower the height so you can put a base underground or floating in the air (it'll fall apart due to SI though, so don't raise it)

12. SLI_Fallen

SLI_Fallen Lieutenant

Ok. Well since there was, you know, no axis overlay showing you it could be rotated, (Zed axis in this case), I never tried that. But thanks for the clarification.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.