Bug Reports: SOLAR SYSTEM GENERATOR

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    eLLe and Ephoie like this.
  2. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Ensign

When the program has an internal error and you are given a button to quit and email the log in, what method are you using to call the mail client? I have Firefox set to handle mailto links, but the method you use gives me an error saying that the mail client has not been configured properly.

3. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil Lieutenant

Planet generator tab does not work at all for me.

When I open SSG and get past the first screen, I get the main window with a blank white area for the planet map. On the right, I choose Planet Type, and a "fixed terrain" then hit "load". I am then met with a 1/5 loading screen that never goes away. The map stays solid white. If I ignore everything and just put in a seed for "random terrain" and hit "generate", I get 2/6 loading screen that never goes away and again, the map stays white.

Am I missing something? I've verified integrity and never have issues with programs on my PC.

Win 10 x64 fully updated
    Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 970

Magicslayer likes this.
  4. eLLe

eLLe Captain

Totally the same.

Magicslayer likes this.
  5. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Yeah I havent been able to get it to do anything usable yet BUT I havent messed with it much either. I think its just too limited on what it can do atm to be real world usable. It CAN generate (I think) but it cant edit pre existing "Legacy" content which is what most people would want to do with it. Or maybe thats just me. I was really looking forward to upgrading some of my planets or re-working them entirely. Maybe its a planned feature? Maybe the difficulty in using it is why the planet systems are so small at the moment? It does have a long manual on how to use it... Though im VERY pleased to see so much documentation on release! The devs are not normally big on documentation lol.

6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Plz first read the docu on how to LOAD a playfield. In this state you can easily break this still ;)

If it does not work

- post a screenshot with the CONSOLE dropdown expanded
    + screenshot of the screen unobstructed so i can see the settings.

7. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I'll be honest hummel... I couldnt understand the loading of a playfield well enough to even attempt it. I didnt see an actual "Import" feature or anything on opening a legacy playfield. I could have missed it. But I did read it like 4 times. I think a video on its usage would help. A lot. Now it does seem to open pre-existing compatible playfields and allow you to edit them and export them but I never got that to work properly either. Im taking another shot at it today now that ive had some sleep :)

8. Kyodai

Kyodai Lieutenant

I sent a email with log already for this but here it is for documentation purposes. I opened the SSG, went to Sector, renamed it, put in a 4 digit seed, randomly generated it, and exported it. Once you load the scenario in game it crashes with error:
    ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: Source
    at System.Linq.Check.SourceAndSelector (System.Object source, System.Object selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[String,String] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Assembly-CSharp.IconConverter.ShowServer[String] (IEnumerable`1 ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at GameOptionsYamlData.GetDataset (System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1 conditions) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Assembly-CSharp.Addin.DisposePlugin (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Assembly-CSharp.CommandInvoker+ActionAttribute.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Assembly-CSharp.CommandInvoker+DiskTable.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Looks like we will not be able to play exported scenarios from the SSG for the moment.

9. Kyodai

Kyodai Lieutenant

Ok I was able to fix this. Here is what I had to do:
    It seems that the “Export” function exports the scenario but it is missing the gameoptions.yaml file. I copied it from the \Steam\SteamApps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Default Random folder and pasted it into my SSG created scenario and it was able to load.

Osfognarg and Proton like this.
  10. Proton

Proton Ensign

Thank you very much! I had the same problem, now it works, awesome.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Kyodai likes this.
  11. Jumach

Jumach Ensign

I get an error on startup of the SSG that says: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Edit: Just checked, the sector and Orbit tabs work as expected. The "Go to Planet" button generates the same error. Selecting the Planet tab also generates the same error.

Edit 2: Does the SSG generate text files of the console log? If so where is it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  12. Osfognarg

Osfognarg Ensign

This worked for me, too. Playing in my solar system now. Thank you!

13. UAA

UAA Ensign

Hello,
    After playing few days - I could not find any POI. I checked with console - and I got this:
    ALL POI are inside 100 meters.
    solar system generator.jpg irdon seed.jpg

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. UAA

UAA Ensign

Also if you check distribution of resources - half of planet is completly empty. This is shown with map command in console. Also - there is too low resources - if you size planet 10 times - you should increase resources also accordingly. Even on the other side - there is too few resources. distribution.jpg

Kassonnade likes this.
  15. UAA

UAA Ensign

I checked with solar system generator. I got same results on different seeds.
    POI are put together.

generator.jpg

16. Exacute

Exacute Captain

As for the 'POIs are put together' I believe this is intentional:

The POI cluster is several fortifications, a tower, and some defenses.

I think perhabs the default planet is a little over-empty, but I believe the generation is working as intended. Could be mistaken tho.
    I like the POI cluster as a personal opinion.

17. Kyodai

Kyodai Lieutenant

It IS intentional (sort of), for THAT planet. It seems that the "TemperateStarter" always has the POI's that way. If you notice, they are the same POI's that show up in the Robinson Protocol. I believe the starter planet is always setup so that the Robinson Protocol can be initiated, even though it doesn't work in random generated planets.
    What you could do is go into the Sector yaml and remove that planet. Then delete that planet's folder from the playfields folder. You'll need to make another planet or several planets starter planets through editing the yamls though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. Kyodai

Kyodai Lieutenant

Here is a fun bug. I used Steam to "move install folder" over to different drive. When I now open the SSG it is still looking for the templates in the old folder. No problem right? I'll just point it to the new folder. Well, 2 things happen:
    1. Once I generate a planet on the planet tab, it is all messed up showing a ton of mountains but no water. No matter what template I use it is the same.
    2. If I go to the sector tab to generate a solar system it no longer finds the solarsystemconfig files in the drop down and I have no option to point to the right place.

I reinstalled the game and experimental version again and it has the same issue. It looks like once you install it to a certain directory, DON'T MOVE IT... for now. I'll try moving it back

19. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

ssgError.jpg
    I get something very similar.
    The only things I do is select a terrain and press load.
    AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4017.7 MHz
    16GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

20. Kyodai

Kyodai Lieutenant

The "Argument out of range" error usually means it can't find the template folders. Click the folder icon at the top and point it to: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Playfields

texas_tornado likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.