[Builders League] Missing Creative Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hello fellow builders!

Last time i asked about the missing Block Shapes that would enrich the game long-term. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

This time i would like to ask you which features are missing in your CREATIVE toolbox!

Known/Already added to the todo list:

1) Texture/Color tool using the MIRROR plane (including UNDO)
    2) Paint/Texture larger areas in one go (3x3, 5x5, 10x10...)
    2) Use STRG and SHIFT for deleting whole areas
    3) Copy areas of a owned structure
    4) Paste copied areas to the same or another owned structure (automerge)
    5) Cut parts of a structure and create a new placeable structure from it
    &) ...

Feel free to add your ideas/suggestions to the list...and do not hold back with creative ideas!

Todos/Known issues:
    - Fixing blocks that do not mirror or not mirror correctly

PLEASE do not use this thread as BUG REPORT or when having problems with a certain existing feature. PLEASE report those in the bug threads! THANKS!

2. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

NOT sure, its a bug, if so, please forgive me :S

When painting / texturing an angled block, one block allows for painting one side, where the mirrored block, paints on 2+ sides :S
    Can be frustrating :-/

UH! YES! almost forgot....
    Have the contents sorted, for easier finding in the "H" menu....
    Groupd up, one after another, according to use.... aka, weapons / tools / ammo, instead of
    weapon/ammo/tool/weapon/tool/ammo o.o

3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

This is probably a long shoot but the hurdles of guys like me is the capability of long term planing when building large structures, so a very welcome feature for me would be importing 3D models from files like 3DS or others into the game.

4. CirrusMajor

CirrusMajor Commander

1-wide arch blocks. They could come in a few sizes, such as 2x3, 3x3 and 2x2, basically curved struts.

tehmashby and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  5. Gwydion5

Gwydion5 Lieutenant

What about combining the Texture and Color tool in to 1 tool that lets you pick both color and texture so you only have to apply it once, rather than texture everything and then color everything? This means that this one 1 tool would have 2 states, color selection and texture selection. Default state if none is chosen would be the non color/texture state where it defaults to the base/original color and texture of the object.

SacredGlade, tehmashby, Gatt and 7 others like this.
  6. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

1) Totally! Can we also get at least one more active mirror plane? Many of my builds are at least mostly L/R and U/D symmetrical. Also, being able to place the mirror plane on a block boundary (instead of it's centre) would allow easier building of even width structures.
    2) Can we also have console commands to paint/texture an entire structure with the current colour and texture?
    2) Absolutely! Can we also have a console command that splits a structure down the current mirror plane by deleting all the blocks that fall on it?
    3) yes Yes YES!!!
    4) see above ;)
    5) see above ;)

6) remove the block usage in creative, it's really annoying when building large structures and your stack runs out *somewhere in the middle of laying down a fat sheet of blocks, we've all lost countless hours fixing holes when this happens. Pretty sure some of my really big builds still have holes in them somewhere. As far as I see it there is literally no reason to use up stacks in the hotbar when in creative mode,. especially considering some stacks are only 1 or 5.

7) preset block colour and texture. any new blocks laid down should be coloured and textured according to current tool setup.

8) Not sure if creative feature or not.... ship name should be set to the bp name when spawned.

9) Track down the cause of the frame hitches that occur when adding deleting blocks on large structures.

10) Lessen (or remove) the character dragging on blocks causing rotations when trying to fly in/around/through structures.

11) make mouse wheel bindable to rotate block.

thankfully, most of the things ive been salty about look like they're already on the todo list, I just hope we don't have to wait too long for this stuff, these features really will address most issues related to time-to-build and quality.

@Hummel-o-War thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Gatt, DeadDigger, Fractalite and 4 others like this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Some newer ones that come to mind:

1) Mirror on two planes, and three planes (toggle on each plane, not choose 'one' plane).
    2) Have "Undo" remember color and texture that was on the blocks it replaces (when undo is to replace a removed block).
    3) Have Creative save game remember the timescale setting (if time is turned off, remember that).
    4) Have Creative save game remember if you had godmode on, and keep you floating on load where you were when you saved.
    5) Build helper (N) to have 'tilt/turn/rotate' tool to 3d orient/manipulate a ship in front of you (without having to pilot it). (also 'grab and drag ship')
    6) Build helper toggle to 'stick ship' (so it doesnt fall in gravity, for when building in atmosphere).
    7) Xray View toggle, which turns blocks into semi transparent so you can see deep inside thick walls of components. (hard to explain how this would work lol)
    8) Have Creative mode NOT need 'resources in your inventory' to use the multi-tool to upgrade blocks.
    9) Auto-reload (from nothing) any weapons in creative mode (toggle on build helper?). I do not want to load ammo boxes or carry ammo to use and test weapons in creative mode.
    10) Actual wireframe view of actual ship/base when "spawning" from blueprint (could apply to survival games too). No more of this giant non-descriptive blue box.
    11) If you have a block in hand that is SV/HV or SV only, do not allow "shift-right-click" on a BA or CV block. Cant tell you how many times I rip holes in my staging platforms while building an SV/HV (and vice versa at times!).
    12) A key we can bind that is "reset block in hand". This is useful for hull blocks, to reset its orientation and shape to the full cube. Right now I open inventory, then 'pick up and drop' the block in my toolbar to reset it. Gets old fast, and would simply love a key to bind to do this.
    13) "Insert space" on build helper. Select it, then hover over a ship and it shows a 'line' between two rows of blocks. Clicking will shift blocks outward making room of 1 block space. Could also have a input field for "how many spaces to insert" for when we need a big gap pushed into the middle of something.
    14) more to come...

As per a few old posts of mine:

1) Rebindable modifiers to color and texture tools (http://empyriononline.com/threads/add-modifiers-to-texture-and-color-tools-mirror-rotate-clear.6201/)
    2) Combining Color and Texture tool to one (http://empyriononline.com/threads/color-texture-tools.5858/)
    3) Custom color palette per entity (http://empyriononline.com/threads/custom-color-palette-per-entity.7312/)

I really want more colors that are more varied. Tired of 90% neon to choose from:

[​IMG]

Wrong discussion.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Gatt, DeadDigger, Pantera and 5 others like this.
  8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Oh god this. Yes, every block, this is a biggie. Remove all "stacks" from Creative mode. You add a block type to toolbar, you place as many as you want, and you remove it from bar when done. Engines, weapons, rcs, cockpits... anything!

zztong, Nookriot, Gatt and 2 others like this.
  9. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

I think this would kill the engine on large builds :( truss blocks are already demanding (6 trasnparent faces per block) and transparency is always expensive to render.
    Much as I would love to see this, I don't think it will work, how about the ability to highlight blocks from the control panel, the highlight could be similar to the builder block outline and be visible from outside the hull, godmode takes care of the access issues ;)

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Then dont turn it on if your machine can't handle it ;)

Plus, I was thinking it be more a 'distance locked' xray. It doesnt make the ENTIRE thing clear, but rather, 10 blocks from your current position, sort of deal. So, like, as you move forward, it transparents 1 block at a time, so you can see whats behind it well enough. Move forward more to hide 2 blocks deep, and so on. Then yeah, godmode lets you dig around and edit things without having to rip holes into your structure.

11. vicomt

vicomt Captain

How about the ability to rotate blueprints whilst spawning?

Also, when copy/paste merging, can we spawn & merge a blueprint onto an existing ship at the same time? (I know it's going to be possible by spawning, copying, then paste/merging, but doing it all in one go would be extremely useful)

oh, and line/plane/cube box selection methods for deleting, and copy/paste operations.

and paste should honour the mirror plane settings ;)

12. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ability to add the larger blocks in rows/sheets. (Currently you can only add one at a time, for example 1x2 windows and 2x2 windows.)

Ability to generate geometric shapes (rectangular prism, ellipsoid, cylinder, select hollow or solid) of specified XYZ size.
    [​IMG]

And for the above a "preview" using ghost blocks to show what will be generated so you can adjust before you generate.
    [​IMG]

Do you mean showing a wireframe of the imported model?

13. xpeppyx

xpeppyx Ensign

Maybe the ability to "stretch" your project? example If i built something and realize it is not large enough i can stretch it instead of deleting blocks then adding more blocks.

The ability to adjust the vessel's orientation. The first CV i built which i actually love (even though it's a shoe box) was built backwards. so when i fly it my compass is messed up.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th the suggestions on expanding the color and texture tool block spray size and on combining the two.

14. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

No actually translating 3DS files into Empyrion models, doesn't have to be too detailed, just wireframes made from basic blocks and ramp blocks.

martian101, Gatt and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Orrr.... maybe if thats not possible (since you would have to do a lot of carving /replacing of almost everything afterwards?), maybe a wireframe hologram that allows you to then use it as a guideline to build from. You could scale the hologram up and down on import, move it around, turn it on/off as you build. It would be an exact of the 3ds model.

Kind of like using tracing paper :D but in 3d !

zztong, Gatt, Siege Inc. and 2 others like this.
  16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

14) I'm not sure if this is a 'missing feature'... but its something that 'gets in the way of progress more times than not':

Reduction of the invisible hitboxes around many non-hull-block blocks. An example is, if I aim at the surface behind a warp core with my paint tool, I expect to paint the surface I am aiming at. NOT the warp coil. Other bad blocks with huge invisible bounds, are the tops of constructors, the gravity gen, looking through tables and chair legs. Some blocks 'blot out' so much area that it is impossible to texture and paint visible surfaces beyond these blocks.

I can make up a list of all of these if it helps discover them.

Kieve and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

This was why I was asking if he meant wireframe. :)

IMO an easier solution would be an external tool that writes blueprint files, roughly something like WorldEdit for minecraft. Since it would be designed for block-based building, it would have better tools available. (It would also save the devs the time of creating it. :))

Kaeser, Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  18. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I'll admit this is more for survival than creative, but it would help if the player drone did not rotate when it bumped into things (or at least auto-leveled immediately) and if rotation was locked on the roll axis unless you specifically hit the Q/E keys.

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  19. xpeppyx

xpeppyx Ensign

I played a game that kinda had a feature like this. Creativerse. you could set down a blueprint of a building and it would make an outline of it using the blocks needed. was pretty cool. until you tried to build the tree house and it wanted you to place 5000 leaf blocks.....

20. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I sometimes deal with Ammo manually while testing my Creations to see how its current Ammo Sustain is lookin to ponder if it'll need more or not. Perhaps if this could be Toggled on & off at will, that'd work for us both. Plus 'Infinite Stacks' that could be applied to Ammo Loading into Ammo Boxes could be cool too! :)

For the Topic: How about Dummy Drone Targets we can pop out & use as Guinea PigsTest Targets for our Weapons Placements in our Creations, as new Toys for our Shooting Ranges? :D

Frigidman likes this.