[Builders League] Missing Creative Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Runningwithhamster

Select multitool > right click > choose rotation mode on a wheel > point to the block that you want rotate > use [Insert] and [Delete] to change rotation axis, [Home] and [End] to rotate block (same keys you use for placing blocks).

Tyrax Lightning and Starwing6 like this.
  2. zztong

zztong Captain

I really like the idea of community created art assets. I would likely submit a few symbols, and things within my pathetic artistic reach.

But let me play devil's advocate for a bit:

1. The Devs would have to worry about community folks submitting copyrighted material and derivative works.

2. The Devs would have to have somebody screen submitted assets for quality. This perhaps isn't a big deal. They already have somebody doing this with workshop content and things submitted to them via these forums.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Starwing6

Starwing6 Captain

The issue of the way textures wrap around blocks still NEEDS work though, because textures become extremely limited when you need to have multiple faces of a block visible--or shapes like the rounded corner that can't be rotated in a way to match a texture around it. :mad:

4. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

yeah it's massively frustrating sometimes, but unfortunately the block data just cannot support rotated textures right now. I'm afraid we're all stuck waiting for a rather major update in the way block information is stored in the matrix. I have no idea if this is on the cards or not. :(

Edit: I've constanlty evolved my building style to the point where I know what blocks and textures I can use safely in most situations without becoming frustrated by the limitations.... until I want to build something new that isn't part of the Space Moles Fleet.

5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

@rotate textures: this would need a complete overhaul of the blocks like we did it when we added the multi-face coloring/texturing. It is still on the list, but hard to achieve.

@paint color selection tool: can you create an example with a usecase for its function?

6. Starwing6

Starwing6 Captain

Fantastic! I certainly wouldn't expect it to be an easy thing to do--I'm just putting my wishes out there. To read it's being considered made me happy :D

When we create our characters, the colour selection tool enables us to pick the precise colour we want. If the colour tool had that kind of fine control, we'd have access to all the colours. I couldn't possibly guess how challenging it would be to add more colours to the selection we currently have with our colouring tool, let alone providing the ability to select any colour desired...

I'm so happy about everything in this game that my biggest requests are for more of the pretty things! lol

geostar1024 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

She means being able to pick any color to paint your ship or base blocks, instead of choosing from a handful of preset colors.

8. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Agreed, seconded, & Amen.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that this meant that Star wants the entire HSV Spectrum... not just a small handful of Pre-Selected Colors as the only choice. :p

I also wouldn't mind a RGB or Hex Triplet Color Selector so I can select an EXACT desired Color for use, like for example, my fav, #0047AB, Hex Triplet for Cobalt Blue. :) (Also answers to the RGB Designation, R 0, G 71, B 171)

Actually, no it doesn't for me. I stick the marker onto a Color but I have no clue if it's exactly what I was aiming for. Cobalt Blue above? How the hell am I supposed to stick that HSV Field Marker in the exact single Pixel of space that = exactly Cobalt Blue & then be able to KNOW I did exactly that? :(

Neal and Starwing6 like this.
  9. N99024

N99024 Captain

Maybe take a page from ATS. (American Truck Simulator) they allow you to save up to 6 favorite colors from the millions of options you can chose, although for a game like this I'd recommend at least 10, and more around 16. I mean, we are flying giant a** warships or sleek fighter, we need some more options than what the color tool gives us, but we need a way to save our favorites not only for our character, but for the ships we'll fly as well.

jmtc, Jacoviz and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I've wished I could target my Suit Primary Color onto exactly Cobalt Blue & the Secondary Color onto exactly Silver.

For my Ships, i'd wanna Fav Cobalt Blue, Sapphire Blue, Electric Blue, Silver, & Orange.

Will also be cool if we could ever Color Light Textures's 'Body' & 'Glowiness' separately so I could Blue the Body & Electric Blue the Glowiness at the same time. Whether or not this'll ever be doable is anyone's guess I suppose.

11. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

When I build sometimes I miss to have different color (not the body) and shape propusions. Or even something what is not based not on the traditional rocket engine. Races specific technology could increase immersion. I just dream, one day we able to get different look or even parameter propusions from races. In my old favourite game Privateer, the Steltec ship had nice drives for example.

[​IMG]

Neal, Jacoviz, binhthuy71 and 2 others like this.
  12. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

From the poking around in the epb format that I've done, it probably wouldn't be too hard for Eleon to add a section that lists colors (stored as 8-bit RGBA), and then references them by position in the color data section. If we were ok with only having 16 different colors per structure (but each of those colors could be custom), then the current way that color is stored in the block data wouldn't have to change (right now each face of a block gets 5 bits to specify the color, hence us having 16 colors right now; 6*5=30, so this just fits in a 32-bit integer). Better would be to devote more bits to the color (and texture) numbers; I'd say 6 bytes per block for colors and for textures would be a big improvement (256 distinct colors and textures).

Actually, since the texture for each block current takes up a full 8 bytes (but only 6 bits per face are being used right now), there's totally enough space to put in 2 bits per face for texture rotation. In fact, there's enough space to devote 8 bits per face for the texture, along with 2 bits per face for the texture rotation (leaving 4 bits left over, even). The texture and symbol tool could be given the same rotation interface that the multitool has, and that'd be pretty much all we'd need. To keep things simple, for the moment just the rotation bits could be added in, in the last 12 bits of the texture data (which would keep things entirely backwards compatible with existing blueprint files).

13. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Commander

Does anyone know if there is a way to perform a bulk block change in creative using the console commands?

Trying to find a way to convert multiple large Pyramid Combat block based builds into Cube Combat block versions in creative and this is not viable manually.

If there is not - then this is a feature I would like to see :)

Thanks for any assistance with this!

Jacoviz and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

As far as I know, you can only convert one block material into another; there's nothing that will convert between block shapes. I'm currently working on a blueprint editor, though, and I've added this to the list of features I intend to build into it.

15. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Yeah, there's currently no way to do a "replaceblocks" with only a specific block shape, because the block shapes are (probably) a block type id and a sub block of the parent cube.

16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

That's exactly correct (that's how it is in the epb file); in light of that, it would be fairly easy for Eleon to implement a command to change the subtype, given that it really doesn't require much more work than what the current command for changing the primary block type does.

Tyrax Lightning and oojimaflip like this.
  17. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Yeap, replaceblocks could be super powerful, imagine this:

replaceblocks 1234 :mirror empty = replace all blocks on the currently active mirror plane with empty blocks.... effectively cleave a build anywhere you like...

I can think of more :)

18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

You could now do this with my offline blueprint editing tool (https://github.com/geostar1024/epbtools). You'll need to know a bit of python to use it; for your case, the following python script might work:

Code:
    from epbtools.readepb import readepb,writeepb

filename="some-blueprint-file.epb"
    newfilename="some-new-blueprint-file.epb"

blueprint=readepb(filename)

# pyramid shape is 63, standard cube is 0
    blueprint.getProp("Grid").changeAllBlockPropertyConditional("SubType",63,"SubType",0)

writeepb(newfilename,blueprint)
    Note that at present my code obliterates groups and signal logic (to be rectified in future versions), but this may be functional enough for your testing purposes.

19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I 100% AGREE WITH THIS!!!! Big time. I wish the devs would give some thought to this.

20. A.F.T

A.F.T Ensign

Please can you give more full instruction? I tryed and fail.