Builders needed: City Building

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by michaelhartman89, Jun 26, 2017.

1. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

NewGame_30_2017-06-25_12-42-25.png UPDATE 23 July 2017
    To all the big builders out there, I was looking to re-purpose this thread to building uploads for City Building.

Upload your own stuff here with texture and paint or bare bones for use by the community.

Remember to use minimum devices in your builds, which means little to no glass or stairs. I will be uploading all my buildings here for use by the community very soon. Please stay tuned for more news here in the future.

My goal is to leave the devs with a vast ammount of buildings to use in future metro areas in Empyrion.

This has been one of my dreams for Empyrion to finally move forward with cityscapes. If you are interested, send me a private message and I'll get you started ASAP on my server where we are building our Galactic Trade Capital

Is there a server out there that is solely based on furthering metropolitan areas for Empyrion?

I'm talking about a server in creative or survival with admin or moderator rights for all parties involved that is based on creating massive city scapes for the future of Empyrion.

Would anybody be interested in spending a few hours a week on such a server to help create some beautiful Metropolitan areas?

Two kinds of cities types would be prevalent on this server. Modular type cities and city-block type.

Modular cities would be multiple buildings set using the modular placement system of course and the city block system will be the 250 x 250 single entity base which is multiple structures all combined into 1 massive build.

I'm looking for good architects and builders for this project. BIG names, so if you are interested, please let me know if you want to participate or know of any server that currently does this.

The current system in Empyrion can get bogged down quite a bit with a large number of windows and lights. To combat lag and FPS issues, the solution to building these metro areas would be to build with the lowest number of devices as possible until optimization catches up on this end to allow bigger builds in the game.

This means that all structures are built using either steel, wood or concrete blocks at the moment.

I've suggested before the need for window textures and the need for more textures in general to create more beautiful landscapes.

A city without windows is pretty tough to create btw, so this would be a huge game -changer. Another thing that would be great for building cities would be the ability to merge blocks into one huge block like is currently being suggested for ships.

Thanks

If you haven't visited my suggestion thread, check it out and cast your vote in the poll!

Suggestions for Devs:
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/suggestions-for-next-update.8421/page-2#post-146258

Building an Economy:
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/steps-to-building-an-in-game-economy.12323/#post-145641
    View attachment 25625 20161128_115111.jpg

@Siege Inc. @Kieve @oojimaflip @Fractalite @piddlefoot @Hummel-o-War @Christianholmes @Pyston
    @Jenniphurr

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. Mikemc

Mikemc Commander

Well to cut out the windows, you could use a painted texture.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. michaelhartman89

Another reason we need a color wheel and shaders. We dont have anything close to the color or shade of a glass window. There are no glossing effects

Tyrax Lightning and tehmashby like this.
  4. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Someone else actually mentioned this idea to me not long ago so I've had it percolating in the back of my brain. I would think you'd probably want to set up some base rules that everyone can agree to beforehand. Like who to invite, building restrictions, who can modify what, etc. Maybe an overarching design theme although you don't have to be limited to just one. You could have people building a modern city in one area while another builds dystopian settlement and another is building a military base while others work on a space station in orbit. Voice coms that can people can join if they want would be nice too.

5. michaelhartman89

Absolutely, that's why I tagged all the GREAT builders I could think of off the top of my head. Yes, as far as guidelines, whatever works at a decent framerate is fine with me. Each person designs a building, sky scraper, sky walkway, tunnel, streets etc. we all work together and the server saves the progress as well as each individual can save their own bp at any time. you get more than one opinion and can tackle a huge project with more than one viewpoint.

Any eyesores can be quickly demolished and you aren't losing much progress if they get them early.

this would allow us to make certain city blocks at 50 x 50, 100 x 100, 150 x 150 and spawn them next to each other to make huge metro areas with ease. Who knows how many different city block designs you could come up with having 4 or more builders on one project. Each district would have it's own unique theme or building style so if you get bored working on one project you could work on something else that seems more interesting at the moment.

Sofianinho and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. Mikemc

Mikemc Commander

There is marble, and some metal tiles resemble window frames. Can also make frames using the thin rectangles.

7. michaelhartman89

Just built the 10th Skyscaper for my capital city. Anybody else interested in building the first major custom city in Empyrion. No bp's have been spawned here, everything is a custom build. It is located on a nice server with over 100 playfields and a great admin team. Each faction gets to build a custom headquarters in it as well, so come by and I'll give you a sv and all the building mats you'll ever need

8. michaelhartman89

To all the big builders out there, I was looking to re-purpose this thread for building uploads for City Building.

Upload your own stuff here with texture and paint or none for use by the community.

Remember to use minimum devices in your builds, which means little to no glass or stairs. I will be uploading all my buildings here for use by the community very soon. Please stay tuned for more news here in the future.

My goal is to leave the devs with a vast ammount of buildings to use in future metro areas in Empyrion.

This has been one of my dreams for Empyrion to finally move forward with cityscapes. If you are interested, send me a private message and I'll get you started in ASAP on my server where we are building our Galactic Trade Capital

Tyrax Lightning and oojimaflip like this.
  9. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Right, I guess I'm going to have to retrieve my head from my arse and get back into building!

I feel a bit like Gandalf this morning; I have no memory of this place! :cool:

10. michaelhartman89

Lol, yah me too. I took a long break from building when I was mobilizing to go to Iraq. Im in kuwait for a month or 2 before I head back up north, but my plan is to build as much as I can while Im here before I have that crappy internet up there again

Tyrax Lightning and binhthuy71 like this.
  11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Its a nice idea, and it would be nice to see modern cities in the game, but they would have to be cities with no lights atm or its going to lagout bad, if you download the ATLANTIS city build you can see what I mean, turn all its lights off and watch the frame rate rise.

I don't think the game is optimized enough for such large cities yet sorry.

Nice idea to keep on hold for a while though.

12. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

I've tried some small towns just to make the view from my Base less lonely and the results at night are disappointing. It's because lights on structures act the opposite of the way they act IRL. In-game the structures are visible before the lights. IRL, you can see a light for miles, structures not as much.

13. michaelhartman89

Yah there a few hiccups right now, so im just going for a city without lights at the moment. If there are lights on the buildings, they are minimal. Either way I want to have it all built prior to the update when things get optimized and I am enjoying the view so far

Tyrax Lightning and Kassonnade like this.
  14. michaelhartman89

15. michaelhartman89

they aren't textured, but just in case anybody wants a blank slate. I will be finishing them all soon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  16. michaelhartman89

everything I have at the moment

Attached Files:

17. michaelhartman89

Im sorry if it looks choatic, I kind of work on whatever I want to so I don't get burned out by such a huge project. When I finally get an idea I drop whatever I'm doing at that time and go back to whichever build it is and finish it.

Right now I'm more in a skyscraper mood, so I've constructed one complete and 1 under permanent construction (Literally, there is a crane). The third I just started this morning, so I'll prob pick up on that one when I get off of work.

I might build a couple more under construction since this city is going to be a younger settlement

Hope y'all enjoy them and feel free to texture or paint any of my designs if you like a build make it your own and re upload it so I can see your hard work.

Well off to work so have a good day everyone!

18. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Play around with the light emitting textures if you haven't already. They're easier on the frame rate and they might look quite convincing at the scale you're working in. In any case, good work so far on a noble project!

19. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Oh wauv. That looks like a cool start.
    I can imagine it will become quite taxing on the engine tho Even with your approach to minimize lights/non-solids.
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing what you end up with ;) I didn't consider how large it actually can be.

20. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Very nice!

Just a note > you can use THREE Methods to create a city

1. Build all-in-on-base with a full-base-plate
    2. Build all-in-on-base with the "connected base building" method (no complete base plate)
    3. Use the SPAWN CLOSE parameter in a .yaml (Closest possible is around 200m afaik)

In terms of performance cost 1. = highest, 2. = lowest

/moved to Building forum + pinned