Can I reuse/update older blueprints?

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Roachy1, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Roachy1

Roachy1 Lieutenant

Hi, I built some SV and CV blueprints back in... alpha 5 or 6. I spent a lot of time and really liked them. I'm getting back into the game with the new non-alpha release and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences updating/reimporting older blueprints?

I haven't had the time to try extensively yet, but my first attempt yesterday did not work so well. The blueprint I'm mostly interested in was shown in red in the list. Importing it in creative did... work, sort of. However it caused my character to get frozen in place, so I was unable to approach the CV. I also tried pointing at it and saving it as a new blueprint, however that one ended up being shown in red as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

3. Spoon

Spoon Captain

This video may help you.
    You could also post a like to the Steam Workshop where your blueprint is and the more brainy people than me could help.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Roachy1

Roachy1 Lieutenant

Thanks all. I will check out the resources you posted this weekend and see what I can do. Unfortunately I never uploaded the main blueprint I'm interested in to the workshop (the large CV). Though the SV is out there. Hopefully I can get it sorted and I'd be happy to share them.

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Roachy1

Roachy1 Lieutenant

So after giving it another look through, I'm realizing that I think the old blueprint is actually fine in terms of what blocks are in it. Taking a closer look at the blueprint stats, the only thing that's red is the Size Class. As shown in the screenshot, the original blueprint has a red size class of 40. I spawned and re-saved the blueprint and the now it has a size class of 14 (and roughly 1/4 the polygons, nice optimizations!).

I'm afraid I've totally forgotten all the requirements for vessels (the blueprint is from circa Aug. 2017, when I last played). From what I'm reading up on, size class is merely a limitation set per save/server, is that correct? I don't see a way to unrestrict this in the difficulty settings when generating a new save. How can I make a world capable of legitimately using my behemoth CV?

I've read a few things suggesting that size class has been significantly changed over time, and that I may need to go around replacing equipment or something. Is 14 a ridiculous size class these days?

Edit: added the image I forgot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. Roachy1

Roachy1 Lieutenant

FWIW, I did watch the video posted by Spoon, and have removed my RCS's and added CPU extenders, so that my CPU efficiency isn't garbage (something I never dealt with before). But the size class is still red at 14, and a re-saved blueprint is still red. Spanj didn't say anything about size class in his video, and I loaded all of the comments and ctrl+f'd for "size" and "class" and came up with nothing.

The CVs featured in that video seem to be way larger than mine, so I'm not sure what to do. Based on the size class formula in the thread posted by Kassonnade, the biggest factor contributing to my size class is my "triangle count", but I don't know what that's referring to or how to change it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Size class is only an issue if you're playing on a server that restricts it, or if you notice the ship lagging you too much in single player.

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. Roachy1

Roachy1 Lieutenant

Ah, I didn't read the thread closely enough. I removed the plants from the farm blocks in my CV and now when I save the blueprint it's no longer red. The size class is still red, but if that's not an issue then I guess I'm good.

Thanks.

Spoon, Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.