Fixed Cannot Connect to Dedicated Server on Same network. [06379]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by thetallest, May 16, 2019.

1. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

Okay folks sit because this is going to be a long one.
    1st I did not see this reported anywhere else in the forums.
    Here we go. The message I am getting is connection timed out.

1) I have updated my dedicated server to the 10.x branch. Clean install.
    2) I attempted to connect to my server via the in game join game option using the IP:pORT. ( NO GO )
    A. I tried several different ports from 10000 all the way to 50000
    B. My network topology is the following.
    Computer to Unmanaged Switch (UMS ) >> UMS >> UMS >> ESX >> to internal VM ( running server 2016 )
    3) I then had one of my friends connect to the server from outside with no issues what so ever.
    4) I then tethered my phone ( T-mobile Network ) to computer to simulate I was coming from the outside and I I connected with no issues as well.
    5) I went through the normal trouble shooting of my network to make sure it was not on my end ( It is not )
    6) I then rolled a second server under another directory this using Alpha 9.7.x using a different port # 40000 in this case
    7) I was able to connect right up to the server with no issues.
    8) I then reinstalled the the 10.x branch on my client hoping the new update was going to maybe solve the network issue it did not.

Please advise if there is any logging you all need.

-Gordon

Attached Files:

2. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

EDIT ( forgot follow template please forgive )

MODE: Survival
    MODE: Muiltplayer

Server Name LNT_ALPHA_10 ( PRIVATE SERVER )
    Seedid: This is a server

MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: NO DEFAULT MULTIPLAYER
    Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

TYPE: N/A

Steps to Reproduce: Listed above ^^^

3. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

The easiest way to reproduce this is to setup a VM on your same network but NOT on the machine you are on and then attempt to connect to it.

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Bumping it has not point. We will get to it when we can

5. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

I wanted to keep it front of folks eyes so in case they run into this issue. I was burning up my data on my mobile internet device connecting to my own server not more than 100 ft away. I found an alternative way of connecting ( VPN out of the house ) and then back to my server again not more than 100 ft away. I will not bump the thread anymore. Thank you for at least acknowledge that someone has seen this. Love the game LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !!

6. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Ive just tried it and for me it works fine. i can connect withing my own network perfectly to my local dedi in any possible way

Prob something in your network is still blocking it

7. RhodeKill

RhodeKill Commander

I ran into similar issues. But If I enable NAT loopback, I can connect from the WAN and it works. Also, you could try connecting via the local ip instead of the public ip, that worked for me too.

8. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

So I described above the only thing between me and server are un-managed switches. All connection attempts are from my machine to the server machine all on the local network in this case the server is on 192.168.10.12 and I am on 192.168.10.99. I am able to connect up to the Alpha 9.7 dedicated server running on the same box as the Alpha 10 dedicated server just on another port ( Alpha 9.7 192.168.10.12:40000 connect Alpha 10 192.168.10.12:30000 no connect on any port ) . Yes I tired turning the Alpha 10.x server onto another port as well as the port I used for the Alpha 9.7 server to see if it was a port block issue but no go. The funny thing is I get the prompt to put in the password but after that it times out. Also I am connecting to the internal IP of the server via the game menu works in 9.7 does NOT in 10.x. The only point in which I ran both servers at the same time was when they were on different ports.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

We have some other report. kind of the same issue. I will sum it all up for the network dev, when he can he will look to it

10. LastChime

LastChime Ensign

I was getting a slightly different connection error on my local machine, it told me the app wasn't running. Been tripping over it for the last 4 or so hours and I found a post from years ago that suggested trying it with no password enabled.....it worked. Sort of a long shot but it worked for the connection issue I was having.

Acloud and Pach like this.
  11. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

So I took you suggestion and removed the password on the server and sure enough I was able to connect to my (Alpha 10.x ) server on its local IP. This does not fix the issue just changes where the DEV need to look for the issue.

12. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

So I also tried using a different password of just numbers as our password had a symbol in the middle of the password. Even with using just numbers I was unable to connect. I removed the password again and I am able to connect with no issues.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  13. thetallest

thetallest Ensign

Updated server to 2482 "Experimental 10.2.0"; I understand that this issue was not fixed in this release but tested none the less.

Tested connection to server using Local IP with and without password results
    With password = Connection still times out
    Without password = Connects with no issues.

Acloud and Pach like this.
  14. Crowner

Crowner Ensign

Dedicated Server
    Mode:
    Survival

SERVER NAME: (Private Server)
    SEED-ID: 1297832

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Join a game

Summary: Dedicated Server not joinable from LAN when Password-Protected (from WAN: OK, PW removed: OK)

Description:
    New Dedicated server, almost default settings, Friends ar able to connect from WAN but I am not able to fully connect within the same LAN (Direct via IP). Server ist asking for enter the password, about 10 seconts after entering de Password a Timeout-Message appears.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Setup new Dedicated server.
    C:\steamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "D:\Servers\Empyrion01" +app_update 530870 validate +quit

2. Edit "dedicated.yaml"
    Srv_Port: 30000
    (Also tried different Ports)
    Srv_Name: AnyServerName
    Srv_Password: aaa

Srv_Public: false
    (Same result when "true")

Tel_Enabled: true
    Tel_Port: 30004
    Tel_Pwd: anypassword

EACActive: false
    (Same result when "true")

MaxAllowedSizeClass: 10
    AllowedBlueprints: All
    HeartbeatServer: 15
    TimeoutBootingPfServer: 90

GameConfig:
    GameName: MyServer01
    Mode: Survival
    Seed: 1297832
    CustomScenario: Default Multiplayer

4. Open Ports
    Open the required ports 30000-30004 TCP & UDP.

5. Start server
    EmpyrionDedicated_NoGraphics.cmd

5. Try to join the server within the same Subnet
    - Start Empyrion
    - JOIN A GAME
    - Direct IP and Port: (Enter IPv4-Adress and Port of your Server)
    - Enter Password for Server (and press OK)
    - > Error: Connect to server Failed: timeout

6. Try without password
    - Comment-Out "Srv_Password" in dedicated.yaml
    - Restart server
    - Try to connect again

Acloud likes this.
  15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Its known. What windows version are u using?

16. Crowner

Crowner Ensign

Host: Windows Server 2016 Standard
    Client: Windows 10 Enterprise 1803

17. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Thank u, ill add the information down with the others we have

18. Maverick 3

Maverick 3 Ensign

I've had the same problems as well. Looking at the logs, it seems to be related to SteamWorks and UNet functionality. When trying to manually connect to the specific IP address, SteamWorks changes the IP to match the public IP that the Steam Client was using on the server. In my case, I connect through a VPN to a cloud hosted server. It doesn't have any ports open period to the public network. So, I can't connect.

19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Were note useing Unet anymore for some time already

20. Maverick 3

Maverick 3 Ensign

Okay. I am ignorant of Unet and Steamworks as well. I just used google and found a little collaborating information that linked the two together.

However, my logs say this.

Code:
    03-05:59:59.189 22_59 -LOG- [Steamworks.NET] NET: Resolving SteamID for IP 192.168.1.6:30000
    03-05:59:59.191 22_59 -LOG- Steam trying to request rules for max. 0 seconds
    03-05:59:59.274 22_59 -LOG- Steam connect successful after 0 seconds
    03-05:59:59.427 22_59 -LOG- [Steamworks.NET] NET: Connecting to SteamID 90126318229xxxxxx
    03-06:00:02.926 23_00 -LOG- Connecting to server Starfleet Command...
    03-06:00:02.927 23_00 -LOG- NET: Steam NW trying to connect to: 3.222.xxx.x:30000
    03-06:00:02.927 23_00 -LOG- [Steamworks.NET] NET: Connecting to SteamID 90126318229xxxxxx
    03-06:00:14.445 23_00 -LOG- [Steamworks.NET] NET: P2PSessionConnectFail to: 90126318229xxxxxx - Error: k_EP2PSessionErrorTimeout

As you can see, the initial IP is 192.168.1.6 and before the connection is made, it changes to 3.22.xxx.x (which was not indicated as the address in the game. This is the IP that the VM gets internet access through, but there is no return NAT assignment, so no public access to the internal IP behind it.