Filed / Tracking Cannot Select Objects in System or Galaxy Maps With Controller [8165]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by mzeb, Jun 11, 2021.

1. mzeb

mzeb Ensign

Environment

Empyrion Version 1.5
    Windows 10 20H2
    Switch Pro Controller attached directly to computer
    Xbox One Controller through Steam Link
    Private Server

Issue
    I often play games through a steam link and noticed that I couldn't actually select items in the System and Galaxy maps to warp to them when using a controller. I can hover over them but can't actually select them. Additionally when I try to search for Suns in the Galaxy I can open the search window, enter a search (through steam virtual keyboard), select the item I searched for the results list and hit "Show on map" the search dialog disappears but does not show the location.

Reproduction steps
    1) With controller open galaxy map
    2) Hover over a system
    3) Press 'A' button to select a system

Expected behavior
    System is selected

Current behavior
    System is not selected

2. mzeb

mzeb Ensign

Build:1.8.8 3864
    Mode:Any Survival (Repros in single player as well as with dedicated server, have not tested other modes)
    Mode: Single Player and Dedicated Server

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: N/A
    YFIELDS: N/A

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major - Blocking Use Case
    Type: System Map & Galaxy Map

Summary: Cannot Adequately Select a Target Planet or System to Jump to It While Using Controller

Description: When using a controller and attempting to select a planet or system in their respective maps the object attempting to be selected is not completely selected or not selected at all. The result is the same in either case. The selected object should show a blue ring around it to indicate that it is selected but in niether case does this occur.
    In the case of the system map attempting to select a planet does result in the information panel being populated appropriately and the selection sound plays but the blue ring to show it is selected does not appear. Additionally, attempting to lock the target for jump nothing happens. The button is active and a sound plays when clicking it but does nothing. No locked target appears when leaving the map.

Steps to Reproduce:

In both cases a controller must be used from beginning to end to repro.

System map case
    1) Using a controller open the system map from the radial menu while piloting a warp capable ship
    2) Select a planet using the controller (selection audio will play and the info panel will populate. The "Lock Target" button will become active. No blue ring appears as when selecting the planet with a mouse.)
    3) Attempt to lock the planet as a warp target using the controller. (Audio will play when hitting the button but nothing will happen)

Galaxy Map Case
    1) Using a controller open the system map from the radial menu while piloting a warp capable ship (An oddity occurs here in that the map display is nowhere near the current planet but that is a separate issue)
    2) Select a system using the cotnroller (Audio will play but not blue ring appears as when selecting the system with a mouse. In this case the "Lock Target" button does not become active)

Expected result:

In both cases the functionality should be identical to that of a mouse.