Fixed Cant start new games [7816]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by ChumSickle, Feb 8, 2021.

1. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Build: v1.4 3259
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: SinglePlayer

SERVER NAME: -
    SEED-ID: 179269 (taken from log)

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Yes Reforged Eden, but similar error has occured in Vanilla

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Game Start

Summary: Cant start New Games

Description: When trying to start a new game I receive a Continue or Quit error after a few moments. If I select Continue the screen never progresses. I have to exit out.

Steps to Reproduce: Starting a new game in RE or Vanilla

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links: Log attached

Attached Files:

2. Zed283

Zed283 Lieutenant

I have had the same issue in Vanilla trying to start single player games in creative. After a few moments I get a COQ error. Continue doesn't result in loading the game. Continue and Mail appears to no longer access my email function likely due to some Microsoft wizardry with the latest Windows 10 update that I have just installed, so until I get that sorted I won't be able to send in the reports as usual. The COQ error doesn't always happen, but if the game does load upon exit the savegame is corrupted and resuming results in a broken creative game ("H" key doesn't access items, freezing to death in space, etc.)

3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    The error shown in the log doesn't trigger when I do this I can start new games in vanilla or the RE scenario with no exception in SP & MP.
    Please try a reinstallation of the game & also unsubscribe from the scenario & resubscribe to it again.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

my 2 ct...started today a fresh PE Scenario, no problem starting the game - besides of the missing loading screen Pictures/Polaroids

5. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Thanks for the replies. Apparently it is a >me< problem. I have tried uninstalling the game, unsubscribing from RE, and going back in, and it still locks me up right after I make an attempt to start a new game. Any new game.

6. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

Now tell me what you can buy with 2 cents...

@ChumSickle
    Are you now able to start a new savegame? If not check the content of your savegame folder. If there are savegames that are not showing up in the "Resume Game" window then back them up (so you can upload them) and erase them. Afterwards you need to restart the client. This worked for me.

I've had this issue several times in the last 2 days, i just did not have enough information to warrant a post but as there is now one i'll just chime in.

I was under the impression it only happens when i play my "normal" game (Reforged Eden, newest build) and afterwards jumping into multiple creative/vanilla survival/reforged eden survival games to test bugs without restarting the client. But as the op here seems to have restarted the client it doesn't seem to be isolated to a single instance. In one case it happened around me confirming the behaviour of the "unbeatable ship" (https://empyriononline.com/threads/unbeatable-ship.97079/). After the second or third new game i got the error.

Unfortunately i do not have the savegames anymore as i found out by deleting leftover savegames (the borked ones that aren't showing up in the "Resume Game" menu anymore) and restarting the client i could fix this issue. Even more unfortunately i didn't think of backing the savegames up as i was under the impression i could trigger it relatively easy. Wrong impression, as "quick" testing doesn't trigger it right now.

I am however able to identify two of the log files. I will try tonight to trigger this issue again and this time keep as much record as possible.

Attached Files:

7. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Alhira, thank you for the response. I went in and completely deleted my old install (I think, I am not an IT type), then unsubscribed from PE as recommended above. I then reinstalled, but still had the issue.

I am at a different computer now, but the error I was receiving always contained this number: 9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798 and when I googled it there was one direct hit on a different forum and it appeared it had to do with how something was named using illegal characters. So I thought, perhaps, one of my workshop items had a character that is no longer allowed somehow.

I went back into the game after unsubscribing from everything and was able to start a vanilla game, and then exited and resubbed to RE and was able to start a RE game. I am not 100% sure whatever is up is fixed. I am just really hoping it doesnt impact me joining season 2 of the MP server that I am a member of.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

And it occured again.

1.4 3260
    Reforged Eden 1.4

After playing around in survival i went back to main menu and wanted to start a vanilla survival game to test/confirm bugs. Upon creating new game i get a CoQ and the game refuses to create/load.

I am attaching the savegame i exited (as it does seem to occur after playing for a longer period of time) as well as the savegame i created which gives me the CoQ and the log file associated.

@ChumSickle I am not sure if uninstalling erases the savegames. Can you maybe check on the not-with-empyrion-working pc if they're still there?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Darinth likes this.
  9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

@Pantera here is most likely what is happening:

If you start a game or join a server running one scenario, and then quit back to the main menu and start a game or join a server using a different scenario, there will be issues. It seems like the game tries loading some configs from the previous scenario unless you completely quit out of empyrion before changing the scenario being played.

To reproduce, start a game using reforged eden, then quit back to the main menu and start a default survival game (or vice versa).

10. The bug ravien_ff just explained is easily reproducible.
    I have a strong feeling this bug is the actual cause for MANY of the bugs being reported lately.

Hopefully it's very high on the list of things to be fixed.
    It's causing an endless amount of other side effects.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

It could well be a combination of things. I have completely deleted everything about EGS that I could find, saved games, blueprints, everything, and it seemed to work.

What Ravien describes makes sense, but there were a few times I hit this issue, quit the game completely, restarted, and was met with the same issue again. So it was almost like the game didnt want to forget that I had been playing on a MP RE server or something. I never had an issue rejoining that server, just starting anything new.

12. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

After completely wiping my computer of EGS (to the best of my ability) I feel the issue has resolved itself. However, I have only checked into my MP server, and started RG games. I have not tested multiple starts, because I want to play and play while I can.

Alhira_K likes this.
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think before uninstalling the game we can try simply deleting the latest related items in the Windows prefetch folder. Even unistalling the game will not remove these, and they can hold the error for future replication.

Old prefetch data can be safely deleted regularly, manually or with tools like CCleaner, just like regular temp files and internet cache. Sort by date, and scrap the UnityCrashHandler64.exe and all Steam / Empyrion related stuff in there.

14. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

I did run CCleaner (a few times) along the way. But this still may well work. It does seem like EGS isnt "resetting" between game instances and is trying to load the wrong files for the wrong games.

15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Everything happening in Windows makes calls to Windows (pleeease), and accessing files follows the same rules. Best to check by hand what files remain in the prefetch folder even if running CCleaner since it will only delete "old prefetch data" which only deletes files that have not been used recently. When "switching game" in Empyrion, running CCleaner between sessions will not clear these files.

I have no clue how a program like EGS "resets" itself. If EGS had the nasty habit of leaving files / pointers behind, our hard drives would be filled by crap after a few sessions I guess.

16. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

I appretiate the idea. Last night I tried to start a new Reforged Eden game, and the same issue cropped back up. I cleared the prefetch, cleared out all saves, ran CCleaner...still the same issue. I then removed all workshop items and scenarios. Still the same issue. Uninstalled EGS, reinstalled, and then resubscribed to Reforged eden and Reforged galaxy.

I am able to begin Reforged Galaxy games with no issue, and I am able to join a Reforged Eden server with no issue. But I receive the exact same error as posted in my initial bug report each time I attempt to start a RE game. C0Q, if I hit Continue the screen just doesnt update until I hit escape and manually quit.

17. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

This seems to happen frequently for me this patch
    after running a game on any server / Custom scenario Single or Multi Play

and then I create a single-player (local Save) creative game I get a COQ Error
    in the console it states the config.ecf has a null Pointer Error and won't start the game
    Validation of Steam Files Fix's the issue but it always re-occurs after joining a server or running a custom scenario

18. There is an unloading bug currently in the game where if you switch scenarios (such as playing on a custom server and then loading a creative game) things don't unload correctly from the first scenario.
    Configs, playfield files, etc, etc. All are affected it seems.

Currently because of this bug you have to completely shut the game down between switching scenarios.

Even just switching from a local survival save to loading local creative save needs to have the whole game shut down in between, otherwise you run into issues because of this bug.
    The severity of the issues depends on how different the 2 scenarios are.

19. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    We have a fix for this issue in tomorrows patch v1.4.4.

Khaleg, Germanicus and Alhira_K like this.