Capital-size whine)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by xtended2l, Dec 3, 2020.

1. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

Hey everyone. It is almost the third day, I have a kinda brainstorm at night, right before my sleep. When the day comes, I try to consolidate all information and make it shareable, but cannot bring all pieces together, and then it happen again at night. So, dont judge me strong, I'll try to be as brief as possible)

So, what bothers me the most and what I want to talk about are parts of the game, that could be way better, way more intuitive and fun to play with.
    1. Ship type separation.
    I do not understand why we have separation of vessels to HV, SV, CV and Base. I see Tovera-class dreadnought(CV) has big hover engines on its sides for whatever reason. All salvageable POI's, which look like a CV, HV or SV are actually bases. Despite this fact, they have thrusters, warp drives and all other parts, that shouldn't be there. But when we salvage them, we can't put them back. In this race for separation of different classes, which should act differently and have different purposes, developers added too much cloned stuff, wasting a lot of game resources and making things overcomplicated. For an instance, we have different ammo for the same-type weapons, like pulse laser as a weapon, as CV turret and Base turret. Each weapon has its own ammo. Also, CV turret weighs less, use less power, has higher damage and ammo needed for CV turrets require less ingredients. CPU extenders for CV and the Base are different items, but blocks look the same, ingredients are the same too. But, the one for the CV gives a lot more CPU power for whatever reason. All of this balancing tries are very illogical in my humble opinion. If I attach my PC to the spacecraft it doesnt start computing faster. If I attach the gun to the car, it doesnt start using another type of ammo. It would be a lot better to remove all clases and just start bulding whatever it is. Built it as a base, then at some moment just added thrusters and here you go, it is now a vessel. Move wherever you want and do whatever you want to do. Of course having concrete blocks on your structure could be limiting, but it is easily solvable by block upgrade if needed. Research sections could be combined too, allowing all duplicates to be removed and the whole Bulding section to be simplified and better organised. The class by itself is a questionable thing. Currently, I can build a huge SV which will be way bigger than my starter CV, does it logically affect their classes? Who is the CV now? I read forums and reddit and see that this artificial limitations only harrass players. Why advanced turrets could not be places on SV? Why CV turrets cannot shoot in atmosphere? Why I cannot use better shield on SV? It has gone too far. It feels like trying to fix something by adding two different details in place of the broken one. All these limitations are not good. Also, if small blocks and large blocks could work together, that would be insane. So much possibilities for different shapings and colors on your structure. I inderstand that currently small(sv/hv) blocks are just resized when installed on sv/hv, you can check it by aiming with small block in hand at the base structure. But that is another story. Also I dont think that it will affect performance much, because again, it is already possible to build huge vessels, despite the class.

2. CPU tiers.
    I really do not understand why we have CPU tiers. Having better server in your infrastructure does not disable an old one. Reforged Galaxy made a good change with this aspect - CPU extensions just add compute power with each extension. I think this change should be in base game.

3. Blueprint factory.
    I really hate how it works atm. It seems like a magic. We just dump resources into some black hole, and it spits out the whole ship after insane amount of time. I think we need a factory block, which will construct it on your eyes. Like it works with repair block. Also I really do not like that we dump resources, instead of actual blocks - it is unrealistic and limiting. Because of this, we have to save so much blueprint copies of the same vessel for different levels. Instead we could just load a blueprint into the factory block, and choose which parts to spawn, allowing us to build an incomplete vessel. Maybe I want a hull only and place devices by hand? We could choose which devices to be added in the interface with the ability to build a hull only. Also, currently the time needed to craft the vessel, is the sum of all of its parts crafted in constructors from ingots. That is why it takes so long. It is insulting to wait 15 hours for everything to be crafted from raw ingots, when your stock is full of ready to use devices and blocks, just salvaged from numerous POI's. The note about the hull - it could be awesome to choose a material to be used in the blueprint, ability to change all steel blocks to hardened steel or vice versa. All shapes and colors of steel block types are the same anyway. So it wont affect the look of the ship.

4. Structural integrity.
    I am really looking forward on addition of structural integrity for every vessel (or hopefully for the unified vessel type). Just look at pvp servers. Flying bricks are not so annoying as these CV's with floating turrets. Breaking the ship in half do not affect anyhing, it just continies to fly.

There is more, and I think each player could add more to the list. It is really disappointing how the game with such a potential makes such weird balancing steps and lack such features. I am really ready to support the devs by whatever model they want to choose, dlc, addons or similarly donations, if they are ready to do something with all this. Sorry if it looks like whining or complaint. It just annoys me too much, to the level that I cannot sleep without thoughts about all of this. Again, this game has huge potential none of other games are comparable. Space engineers combat aspect is boring and not fun at all. Dual Universe is an mmo, and I am not a nolifer to build ship for months, No Man's Sky is just dumb like hell with its totem language learning, acid colors and prebuilt ships. Star Citizen is the one that will always remain "we promise to be the best... after 10 years maybe.". Please share your thoughts on how you see Empyrion's progress, development and how you ready to help this project to evolve into best space game ever. Thanks!

2. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

I know few people will read this huge text. But please, leave some comment if you did. If you consider this absolutely unreal or maybe worthless. At least I should know where to direct my wild fantasy next time))

3. Average

Average Commander

4. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

Thank you! Of course it is obvious, that I am not the one and not the first who think about such issues. I just want to raise the question of how we, as players, can influence and help.

Average likes this.
  5. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

1. I find part of your idea noteworthy. I would love to be able to swap out a SV core for a HV core, make some appropriate changes and convert one to the other, and vise versa. Currently, it doesn't work.

2. I don't fully understand the CPU Tier bit. At present, I just use them for deco.

3. I like the idea of factory block (appropriately large) that could visually raise a ship from the ground up somehow. But how? Presumably, it would be in the same green/red envelope and located by the same keys as a "magic" BP. As BPs can take many minutes, even hours, to complete, the player would need to be able to move about doing other things until it's finished and then acquire it for location.
    It would neat to watch construction. When starting from scratch, I usually create a shipyard with a grid for spacing and towers for lighting to work thru the night (I was younger then. Now I go to bed at sundown). Depending on my mood, I could see creating a factory platform to produce BPs.

4.No comment at this time.

As long as I'm here, I'll give a shout-out BETTER CROSSHAIRS!! NOW!!
    Thank you.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No game is worth this, believe me.

Take a tour in the various forum sections and see what you can do by yourself, it may be of little comfort at first, and soon you might see the real potential that you couldn't see before because of all the things you did not know. Practically all the things you described as annoying in your post can be greatly mitigated in one way or another.

7. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Ill add a small amount of response, but not in detail on everything. Much of what you discuss has been talked about numerous times.

1. Much of the ammo/damage difference has a lot to do with where the weapons are used. Most CV turrets are useless in atmosphere, and those that arent are the exact same as HV/SV/BA turrets and damage. CV's need a bit of a buff because in space they will be fighting other CVs and some with shields. Until some major overhaul is done, most ground bases will only ever face a few drones. So game play wise, people will be (for the most part) building FAR more ammo for a CV than they ever will for a base. In truth, once the drone base is knocked out and the orbital patrol ship neutralized, BA weapons generally just shoot raptors. Your CV, however, will be chewing through thousands of rounds as you take on shielded CVs, legacy ships, station POIs and so forth. So them being less expensive is quite possibly to keep people who want to shoot shooting and doing less mining.

As far as wreckage being POIs and so forth, yeah its a bit wonky, but I believe it sets a level starting point for all the POI designers to work from. I think I also read/saw/heard (or heck made up) that it has something to do with how bases will fit into the terrain but other craft wont. Someone who knows better can clarify this, but I really think I saw somewhere that they are POIs due to how the playfields spawn in.

2. No real comment here, pretty much agree. Cement blocks costing CPU has always baffled me.

3. On one hand, I completely agree...it would be nice to have a "spawn point" block or some form of factory we have to build to create vessels out of the workshop. From what I can tell, some MP servers have a "base only" spawn rule or something to prevent people from just pulling a CV out of their pocket. As a practical rule, though, I dont mind the current method...after hours of scrounging for materials it is nice to just see the craft ready to go. Thats why they even have "factory speed" as an adjustment we can make.

4. Agree with you here as well. Seeing parts of ships fall off would be a nice addition, and add a bit more "realism".

Track Driver likes this.
  8. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

Actually it could use some interface, from building console - analogue of the repair console. No magic. If you mean visual aspect, it is not so important for me, but I think adding some animation like a building crane is not a big issue.

I am too much dedicated person. Sometimes I cannot stop myself if I am too interested, and it doesnt matter if it is my work or hobby. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They will fight other CV's like yours, right? Buffing them affect both sides, right? So why bother? IMHO space combat could be balanced by other means.

I have to disagree. CV's can handle the same 320k containers. And while, of course, the player prefer to carry more ammo on CV, than keeping on base, the base generally used to store a lot of building blocks, resources and so on, and those are superfluous and out of place on CV. So the same amount of storage could be used differently. It is not a reason to cheat CV ammo stats.

Agree here though. But again, cheating CV ammo stats is not a solution. And tbh there are a lot of "boring" gameplay moments in the game, and of course one of these moments is the base protection. That's why we need increase in waves each time you defeat them - 3 drones -> 4 drones -> 4 drones + transport, etc. And even when you defeated Drone Base. Reinforcements should arrive from the space, which will start establishing new base, and maybe even CV's attacking your base. Of course intervals could be longer than default 2-3 days of drone attacks, maybe 7 days for invasion from space. And these attacks will force you to defeat everythying your enemy has in the space of this sector too. And even then, after several months, there should be a chance of larger reinforcements to arrive from the neighboring sectors in order to retake control of the current sector. Realistic? Sure. Very hard to implement? I dont think so.