[Challenge] CIVILIAN buildings

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hello fellow builders!

Looking through this forum we have a lot of great POIs, Outposts and Bases - but only very few (to none) buildings that you would expect to see on a planet that has been settled by aliens or humas.

So i'd like to put up a small challenge!

1. Create a group of CIVIL* buildings that you would expect to see on a planetary settlement (different housing, hospital, gas stations for SV/HV, markets, offices...)

2. Create them SMALL as individual units - not as a big bases. Think of placing them individually so their mix would become the "settlement", although the city administration building might be larger than a house)

3. Create their interior by FUNCTION (a house does not need a constructor and a office does not need a food processor...but both need toilets - for example)

4. Create them RECOGNIZABLE (example: a settlement of the Xenu might look different than human buildings of the same function)

Tipps / notes
    Q: What does CIVIL mean?
    > No defenses, weapons, turrets or NPC spawners

Q: What do you exactly want me to do?
    > Ever played a city builder like SimCity (or a strategy/build game like Anno)? ;-) Settlements do not consist of buildings that have all features included in a large base, but are spreading service- and supporting buildings into different specialized structures. Example: A hospital, office or apartment has not garden house attached. There are dedicated growing houses/garden houses where plants are harvested and processed. The inhabitants will then go to the marked to by them, not to the garden house.

Q: what does a building NEED
    > Basic equipment should be:
    - O2 Tank small
    - Fuel tank small
    - Amall generator

Q:How do you know if my cellar is underground?
    > Cover your underground levels with ONE color that is not used in your building. If your design is chosen, the devs will place the insertion-marker for terrain-subterrain at the topmost block layer of this marked area

Looking forward to your creative and crazy ideas! :)

How to send in?
    => just add your group of buildings to your comment.
    => add pictures!

As with all your buildings send in to any of our threads of this kind, there is a chance you might see them added to the game :) (especially as we prepare to revamp and update all POIs for the next patches!)

*CIVIL = no defenses, no guns, not spawners no aggressive NPC etc.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Could you, or the devs, maybe drop in here an elaborate list of rules and flow in terms of how structures are determined and placed on the ground? So for buildings, that may or may not be clumped in groupings, how would the builders know to designate (or not) things that are partially underground, or above, or rest straight. Should everything be ____ and never ___.

Or, maybe they can specifically key every structure different to how it is placed?

For me, when I build structures, I always tend to key them to how the ground is. If its a shore-line entity, a hill base, an underground storage bunker. Or even a structure that is on stilts always above water (would never work on 'land').

If we kind of knew the restrictions or how they will be placed, it may help avoid a lot of builds that are simply impossible to use.

3. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

Might I ask a few questions? I am asking so that I can get a clearer image of what you want. Will definitely participate. The Pharos are ready.

How does a civilian structure define itself?
    - Has no guns?
    - How about turrets (interior guns)

Our contributions, do the need:
    - An alien core?
    - Spawners for enemies?
    - Anti Air guns seem to be out of place...
    - Or do you only need the strucure itself
    - Does it need a generator of can I assume energy is supplied by the settlement?
    - How about food, would the inhabitants go to a store or do they need a garden?

If I made a house for instance, it would have a living area, dining area, sleeping area.
    - Does it need an oxygen supply?

Can we build under ground?

A few examples, would these structures cound as civilan?
    - Depot (Warehouse)
    - Research Center
    - Factory
    - House
    - Mine
    - Communications Tower
    - Oxygen Storage (industrial scale, not the tanks we have in our bases)
    - Water Processing Plant
    - Water Storage (industrial scale)

4. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The POIs are manually set with a "surface parameter". This is not yet available for the public. We plan to change this eventually. For this creation challenge this should not matter, because IF we choose to add a building or ship to the game, they need to be touched by the devs anyhow. So its purely about the looks for now with a few guidelines as detailed above - whith most of it being the size ;-)

Frigidman likes this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Civil = no defenses, no turrets, no sentries, no NPC spawners...so basically NON-militarized ;-)

Think of the following: you want to build a settlement on Akua or on Omicron. What do you need? An apartment building will have no garden attached. There will be a dedicated "garden house" growing and processing the crops. So the inhabitants either go there...or to the market where the garden house will deliver its goods..

Think more of how you would create a City and its supporting/service buildings in games like SimCity :D

Basic equipment should be:
    - O2 Tank small
    - Fuel tank small
    - small generator (< for now, as individual units/structures still need this as a power source. May change, though ;-)

This is basically about over-ground cities. But cool idea - will add this for another challenge. ;-)

If your buildings need to have a cellar or so, please make sure the cellar is not smaller or wider than the rest of the houses outline over ground (may result in placement issues when used).

Tipp: mark the "underground" levels with a specific one-type color. So the devs know where they need to place the sub-terrain marker.

YES to all!!

Frigidman and Krenios like this.
  6. Runningwithhamster

Runningwithhamster Captain

Do we have any deadline?
    For what groups/factions we build? (UCH, Xenu, Talon, Ghost Raiders) Is there any asthetical gidelines for them?
    Do we need to provide unified sets of buildings?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

This sounds like a lot of fun. I can't build to save my life, but I'll give it hell. How long do we have?

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    No. That's an ongoing thread like the others are - but with a specific and narrowed-down topic. So feel free to contribute as soon as you think you are ready to share your builds :)

9. Captain Jack II

This challenge is harder than it seemed at first. The game, being single player, puts me in the mindset to build things that have everything I need. Why on...Earth, would I build something that didn't have a generator and a fridge and food processor and everything else covered in concrete and steel and topped with a some turrets, to protect myself from the baddies? Why?

So my current theme is to try and make buildings from space ship parts. Since our escape pod crashed on a planet, maybe other ships did too. Using space ship parts wouldn't require mining. The only issue is getting the parts, which in some cases are really really big and heavy, from point to point.

So, I think on some planets, explorers and settlers might have put down roots near crashed ships. The ships would contain many of the things needed for survival, and the salvaged pieces could be used to build shelters and outbuildings for people to live and work in. The main ship would be a community structure, maybe run by a decent fellow who's job it was to repair technology, monitor the radio waves, and to occasionally send out signals in hopes of finding trade vessels and such, kinda like a light house.

I can also see small fishing villages... ok, well not fishing, but small settlements by lakes and rivers where explorers may have discovered a resource rich area and decided to stay awhile. Think hunting cabins and such.

I also got to thinking, since some planets have comfortable temperature ranges, all year round, and virtually no precipitation to speak of, windows and doors might just be wide open. Maybe dwellings without doors and such are on stilts to keep residents out of reach of the more dangerous creatures.

Anyone else got ideas? What's everyone working on?

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Its a secret!!! ;)

Runningwithhamster likes this.
  11. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

Well since they want to build a CITY...

I imagined people living there need to... well... live somewhere: Habitats (Villa, Appartment Building, Appartment Block)
    Then they probably need to eat and drink: Greenhouse, Water Tank, Store
    They will have other needs like breathing, switching on the TV: Oxygen Store, Power Plant
    After they have stisfied their need, they might like to unwind after work: Shopping Center, Cinemas, Stadium, Entertainment Center
    They also might wat to have a job: Industrial Buildings like Factory, Warehouse, perhaps a Mine, Ore Processor. Office Buildings. If the atmosphere allows: Farm
    Then there need to be city services: Communications Tower, Public transport, City Hall, Police/FIre Station, Prison...

and that is just from playing city simulations... :)

What I am doing at the moment is testing ideas, I have nothing shiny to show, but if you insist...

[​IMG]

A study of an appartment house. It was more about interiors, but the outside turned out... ok, too. It needs 1, maybe 2 more levels underneath. I am particulary not happy with the windows.

12. Captain Jack II

Oh snap... I guess I didn't read the part about building a city!!! That really opens up the options. Are there particular themes you guys are looking for, like ultra modern or futuristic, or contemporary, high society or wrong side of the tracks kinda stuff?

I guess without much lore or history, trying to decide what might be found on any given planet is kinda hard. I mean, a big red barn with a wheeled tractor inside might not fit if right next door is a warp core factory. Obviously space travel is possible, and aliens exists, so extremely advanced technology is out there, but what is the accessibility level? Are jetpacks common place? If so, do we need staircases? If constructors exist that can make...anything... isn't it hard to justify building a dedicated saw mill and a dedicated concrete plant and so on? These are the things that make us go hmmmmm.

13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I think what style, is whats up to us. And being a galaxy of various races, the styles could very well be vast and varied as much as its players.

So... just come up with something!

But... make individual buildings. Do not make an actual 'single city' that is one spawn.

Kieve likes this.
  14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Prefered: so called "themed" buildings. So if you put them side by side it should have coherent looks .. like a hotspot city in America might differ from a city in India (ok, maybe not so much these day, but i think you get the idea)

15. Ceabras

Ceabras Commander

Are larger Fuel/O2 Tanks and Generators acceptable, or should we only use the small versions?

16. Maloverci

Maloverci Commander

Hi Hummel-o-War.

You mean something like this.
    The Red part should be in underground. I am working more buildings, smaller and bigger.
    This house has 1 Kitchen, 2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, 1 Livingroom and 1 big Technical Room in the underground.

Attached Files:

17. Runningwithhamster

Runningwithhamster Captain

So... Let's begin.
    Let me represent you the first part of "Colonial" set. All buildings designed as small as possible, for quick construction of extraterrestrial colony in year 2402. For now set includes:
    - Colonial trailer (small house for 1-2 people)
    - Greenhouse
    - Storage module
    - Communication tower
    - Small landing pad​
    Colonial trailer
    [​IMG]
    Colonial trailer (interior)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Greenhouse
    [​IMG]
    Storage module
    [​IMG]
    Communication tower
    [​IMG]
    Landing Pad
    [​IMG]
    All buildings combined
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    yep!

19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    very nice! That's exactly what we are aiming for. Subtitle for your set could be like "explorarion outpost settlement"

Fractalite likes this.
  20. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Very nice indeed!

Captain Jack II likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.