[Challenge] Dual Small Generator CV - Complete

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Robot Shark, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Who gets the bragging rights?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. sillyrobot's Tiny Hawk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Razorwire's Cottonmouth

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Fluffy's Dumbo Dome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. KwC TrixX's BlueBottle

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Kahrek's The Challenger V2.5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Siege Inc.'s Argos Explorer

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. rucky's Challenger One LX

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Zaflis's Mini Crystal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. CatmanDoes's Blockade Runner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. StyleBBQ's A7.5 CV_B20v1 Lvl10 Has: Warp AdvConstrc Medbay. No-GravGen

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

Isn't it weird that thrusters use electricity to produce force, even in space? What is being thrusted?

2. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

I'd suspect some futuristic technology that changes the electricity to light (photons), then the photon to a particle in an energy->matter conversion at high speed, ejecting that matter out the engine. Total speculation.

Kahrek likes this.
  3. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Maybe the promethium actually burns and we get thrust that way. This is science fantasy, no need to supply your own oxygen :)

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  4. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Actually... the notion of propellant-less thrust may be more science fact than fantasy. In recent years, NASA, aerospace companies, and other countries (like China) have been researching the "EmDrive" or RF resonant cavity thruster. This type of propulsion uses absolutely no propellant whatsoever. Instead, it uses microwaves in a resonant cavity. Granted, these drives only produce minute amounts of thrust - only enough to (maybe) give minor course corrections to a satellite. But, they have been refining the design and getting more thrust. Some are even predicting that these or something like them could one day be developed enough to provide lift for vehicles in planetary gravity.

Granted, these drives are controversial because - at first - they seemed to fly in the face of known science and because nobody seemed to be able to explain exactly how they worked. Recently, three different theories have been proposed to explain how they work. So far, these theories have held up to scrutiny. You'd have to watch someone explain these theories, but they do make sense. They have to do with quantum mechanics (radiation pressure, vacuum energy, and quantized inertia). I'm reminded of the fictional inertial dampers ala Star Trek.

Robot Shark and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  5. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I was not saying that propellant-less drives were an impossability, quite the contrary. I was just saying that maybe those in Empyrion are actually conventional. With an efficient fuel supply that would not be far fetched.

6. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

Well it is great to know that I am not the only science nerd playing Empyrion! Play on friends, play on!

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  7. ldog

ldog Commander

I seem to remember something about SV/CV in planet use double the energy. Don't quote me on that though. Energy use has always been wonky in this game though, it has never gotten a balancing pass that I can remember either.

Someone using my ship. :D
    They must have changed that, the larger thrusters used to be more efficient, which was why I used them.
    Now the Demeter (which is a early-mid game replacement for the Artemis that is in trials right now) I had to cut the thrusters (and everything else with power coils FTW) and I noticed the same thing; getting off planet took over half a tank of fuel. Don't remember it taking so much with the Artemis (which is much heavier and still much faster) in A6.

Thundercraft likes this.
  8. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Okay some quick and dirty test results.

For this test I played in creative mode. All tests used exactly the same CV configuration. A 1.04KT block of combat steel with 1 core, 1cockpit, 4 small generators 4 small fuel tanks and 1 small thruster. This was done so the ship had no hope of taking off ensuing that the thruster was using the maximum amount of power when possible (All but 0.00 gravity test).

Omicron orbit regular gravity (0.00)
    At rest: 13kw
    Burn: 251kw
    Thruster consumption: 238kw

Omicron orbit 1.00 gravity (Yup, you can do that, ship falls thru space, nifty)
    Burn: 251kw
    Thruster consumption: 238kw

Akua regular gravity (0.84)
    Burn: 515kw
    Thruster consumption: 502kw

Akua 1.0 gravity
    Burn: 515kw
    Thruster consumption: 502kw

Omicron regular gravity (1.00)
    Burn: 779kw
    Thruster consumption: 766kw

Omicron 2.0 gravity
    Burn: 779kw
    Thruster consumption: 766kw

Conclusions.

Thrusters can use more than the listed amount of power. In Omicron's case more than 6X the listed amount but gravity itself seems to have no actual bearing on it. Next tests atmosphere density (tomorow most likely)

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ldog, rucky and Thundercraft like this.
  9. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Could not help myself, ran a very quick test.

Omicron 1.0 gravity (normal) but 3.2 atmosphere density (double the usual 1.6) all other test parameters the same as above.

Omicron regular gravity (1.00), 3.2 density
    Burn: 1.55mw
    Thruster consumption: 1.54mw

Conclusion: Very speculative with only one test. Atmosphere density directly affects power usage of thrusters in a linear fashion. More testing in different environments required.

Can you make one small CV thruster use 0kw or 100mw)?
    Is the 120kw base usage at 0 atmosphere density?
    If you set a negative atmospheric density (interesting concept really) can a thruster generate fuel?

Fun stuff!

ldog, rucky and Thundercraft like this.
  10. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

That... is just messed up. Drew the same conclusion from your results... but it makes absolutely no sense at all. Gravity should be the issue, not atmo :confused:

Thundercraft likes this.
  11. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

Lift should be less on high gravity planets and acceleration should be slower on a planet with higher atmosphere density.

monktk and Brimstone like this.
  12. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I think from a game mechanic point of view this system is a placeholder. The devs intend to have a mechanic which affects power usage of thrusters but the exact system is not in place yet. They programmed all the thruster mechanics correctly to avoid having to redo it later and just pointed them to the atmospheric density value for the moment. It is easier to change the variable used in the equation than to redo thrust mechanics from the ground up later. Just a guess of course.

As for atmospheric density there is some merit to it affecting flight. From my understanding the denser the atmosphere the more it resists the exhaust of any conventional propellant thruster. The expelled matter which provides you thrust has to fight the atmosphere producing less thrust per unit of fuel (edit: The actual thrust produced is the same but but some is used in just fighting the environment, my apologies English is not my first language so I struggle to explain things at times).

This in effect means that you either wind up with less acceleration or have to use more energy to generate more thrust to maintain the same acceleration. This would only really impact maximum acceleration and fuel efficiency but hey it is the straw I will grasp at for now :)

Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Spirit_OK and ldog like this.
  13. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Heh... yeah, it's a bit of a straw. Density modifying thrust velocity is true, but a) it's far less of an issue than gravity and b) I'm not sure how the thrusters work in the first place- because while we have a cool little blue jet, we don't seem to be using any reaction mass

Would have made far more sense to point that hypothetical value to gravity as the variable vs density is all I'm saying

14. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

We agree on that but I will allow myself the suspension of disbeleif and trust them to figure it out later. Once it leaves early access though it is free for all for physics warriors! :)

Toodles for now, vet appointment.

15. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Is this still going on?
    And we still must not use ANY zasc or ere?
    Not even as low as 32?

Had no issuse getting that few in omicron space..

Just asking.

16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It ended a while ago, but if you want to submit a ship I will take a look at it and provide feedback.

T431 and Sephrajin like this.
  17. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

I was rather hoping that you'd start a new, similar but different challenge sometime in the near future.

18. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

We could, @Kahrek posted an idea for an challenge earlier in this thread.

monktk likes this.
  19. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

In this regard thank you, and here go:

Workshop:
    [​IMG]

Features:
    • Warp Drive
    • 2 Turrets
    • Gravity
    • 9 Plots
    • Full Medbay (incl med station)
    • Room for offline protection
    • 2 Passenger seats

20. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

You know. It could be a fun challenge. Something a bit bigger but not huge.

Thundercraft likes this.