[Challenge] Single T1 Large Generator CV - Complete

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Robot Shark, Mar 3, 2018.

?

Who gets bragging rights?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2018.
  1. Kahrek's Shoren (1T1-BTY-B) Colony Support Ship

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. monktk's Investigator

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Razorwire's Elite Dangerous Wrecked/Recovered Python

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. rucky's CV_IRON_HAWK_typeS

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  5. KwC TrixX's Elephant Light Carrier (7.6)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. styLmntz's Kujira MKIII - Starter

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. Metal_Burner's Challenger

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. T431's T4-Avian

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Ashrai's Elysian Dream

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  10. dpburke2's Nurture

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The challenge is to make a mid-level starter CV that needs one T1 Large Generator to power it.

The secondary goal is the make the ship believable, there are limitations in the game engine that allow players to build ships that would blow themselves apart IRL, submissions need to take this into consideration.

Please note, all ship types are viable for the challenge.
    Cargo, Medic, Colony, Alien, Scout, & Combat ships are all eligible. As long as they meet the build rules.

The rules:
    1. You are only allowed one T1 Large Generator to power it, and the generator cannot redline (go over 90%) with the ship at full power during flight on Omicron.
    2. The CV must look like a ship, not a collection of flying parts.
    3. The vessel must weigh below 6 kilotons.
    4. Ships must have landing gear and no hull blocks can touch the ground.
    -- While half/thin blocks *technically* touch the ground, this is a limitation of the game engine. Visually, they cannot touch the ground.
    5. No components requiring Zascosium or Erestrum, (these are early ships after all)
    6. Must have 1 thrust direction with an acceleration of 20m/s to be able to take off from a 2.0 gravity planet.
    7. Enough fuel for 30 minutes flight time on Omicron.
    8. LVL 15 or below.
    9. The living areas must all be pressurized and have O2.
    -- While thin/half blocks are considered airtight by the game, they must be placed so they provide a visible O2 seal.
    10. No hot / irradiated zones in any habitable areas.
    -- You can have irradiated or hot zones in appropriate areas (engineering for example) but they must be isolated and clearly indicated as such.
    11. All ship parts & devices must be accessible by the player, no replying on using the control panel to fuel the ship or load ammo.
    -- You can have hidden fuel/O2 tanks but at least one must be accessible by the player W/O resorting to using the control panel.
    12. Thrusters must be placed as if “thruster burn” was enabled.
    -- The exhaust port may be covered by shutter blocks (vents) to protect them. They cannot be partially/fully obstructed by an airtight block.
    13. Spotlights cannot be placed behind hull blocks, they must be exposed on the exterior of the ship.
    -- Spotlights may be placed behind glass windows.
    14. Warp drive required.
    15. Only 1 Entry per Contestant will be accepted.

Eleon Game Studios has the right to claim any winning entries for use in the Core Game. Should they choose to do so, we will forfeit our rights to the design and remove it from our workshop(s) upon request from Eleon Game Studios.

Modifying submissions (after they were submitted) is allowed, but no more modifications once the polls have been opened.

Deadline for submissions: 04/01/2018

Bonus points:
    -Make the ship a mobile base.
    -Dedicated medical bay using Tech Deco items.
    -Dedicated crew quarters with furnishings.
    -Pressurized HV bay capable of fitting a land tank (tier 6). The bay must be accessible from the ground without using boosters
    -Pressurized SV bay capable of fitting a landing shuttle (tier 4)
    -Keeping upgrade-able components (Example RCS units) exposed so they can be easily found by players when they are upgrading the ship.
    -Placeholders or reserved spaces for repair bays and repair stations when the player wants to install them later.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Well darn, time to get cracking. Already worked on something while everbody was hashing out all the details only to realize after 20 hours that I hated how it looks. Back to the drawing board. Coffee and cookies and an all nighter ahoy!

3. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

hm. I don't want to come again in the line-of-fire from others,
    is an existing blueprint to submit allowed or not?
    and yes it will be a cascading re-posting of some kind (modified version from my entry to your last challenge), but as this is my real starter vessel and I really like it (and used it on Farmland Server) even after initial starter phase as Asteroid-Miner and Scout ship, I would appreciate if it would be mentioned as a guest "star" or how you would call it... I don't need to be in any voting thing...
    Also it won't get any bonus points as it is too small for that. Still a highly usable ship as I think.

monktk and dpburke2 like this.
  4. northcoaster76

northcoaster76 Ensign

Never done one of these before. How exactly do I submit a design?

5. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

You post your ship in this thread with a description and pictures (If you need help wit that PM me). Make sure to include the blueprint (.epb) file or a steam workshop link to your BP.

Nothing to it really. I strongly encourage you to participate even if you think your ship lacking. You would be surprised at all the things people will give you advise on or little tricks you can learn then you can apply those to your ship and make it better.

Cheers and good luck to you!

Kahrek,

monktk, dpburke2 and northcoaster76 like this.
  6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Remember, you only get one submission. Are you SURE your ship meets the challenge criteria?
    If so, go ahead and post it.

Personally, I have 10 CV's in my shipyard that already meet most of the requirements.
    I plan to build a new one.

monktk, dpburke2 and rucky like this.
  7. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Okay time to open the bidding here. This is my official project. It is not finished yet but the layout is 95% complete and all changes will be cosmetic and fine tuning only. I post it mostly as a working prototype. It does not even have a real name yet. I called it the 1T1-Light (Because it is about 200 tons under the limit, need to fix that).

Perspective.jpg Back.jpg Top.jpg Top Bay.jpg HV Bay.jpg Hydroponics.jpg Engineering.jpg Core.jpg Cryogenics.jpg

She is designed as a colony support vessel. To help establish colonies, provide defence, support or emergency aid. It comes with 54 growth plots, 3 constructors and 56 cryo pods (for colonist transport / evacuation) it has a sunroof style docking bay capable of fitting a T4 and a HV bay capable of fitting a T6 with an upward thrust greater than 20m/s and an omicron flight time of 40 minutes.

There will be a fancy backstory about how these ships used to be anti fighter corvettes that were later re-purposed for civilian use. This will let me explain a military version later on. Now I really really need to get working on the paint and texturing. Comments, thoughts and mad rants all welcomed.

Attached Files:

monktk, dpburke2, Na_Palm and 4 others like this.
  8. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

One clarification, please?
    Is that 30 mins hovering, cruising, or under extreme manoeuvres?

T431, monktk, dpburke2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The ship is 5.76 Kt, under the weight limit, the generator only goes to 67% during flight. Vertical thrust vector is 22. thrusters are exposed, and the ones that have vents on them have the slats pointing in the logical direction.
    Containers, constructors and devices are exposed to the player. You do not need to use the control panel to operate the ship.
    Dedicated living quarters and medbay.

The open docking bay on the top and the entry "wart" on the bottom are nice touches.
    It even looks like you have a little mud on the landing gear.

I like what you did with the core, but I recommend using the change - rotate tool to increase visibility.

Cruising.

monktk, dpburke2 and Razorwire like this.
  10. northcoaster76

northcoaster76 Ensign

Well here goes, haven't been playing too long and have never taken part in a challenge so go easy on me...

This is the NC76 Dragonfly Mk. II - a lightweight, agile, long range, full support scout vessel. Nearly half of the weight limit it is much smaller than the average CV while still offering full support. This was the way I wanted to design it, as compact as possible. The rear is a hanger but not one capable of transporting either the tier 4 HV or the tier 6 SV. The hanger does fit either an hv or sv of 11x5x18 dimensions.

Stats:
    Weight: 3.4kt
    Size: 34x60x10, Size class 1, 679 blocks
    Fuel Capacity: 24000
    Oxygen Capacity: 8000
    Weapons: 2 sentry guns, 2 mini gun turrets
    RCS: 7 (all accessible by character)
    Flight Time: 41.6 min (Omnicron, full forward thrust)
    Unlock Level: 15

Thrust:
    Forward: 47 m/s
    Reverse: 12 m/s
    Upward: 19 m/s
    Downard: 24 m/s
    Left: 14 m/s
    Right 14 m/s

Devices (not required):
    Advanced Constructor
    Medic Station
    O2 Station
    Food Processor
    Fridge
    Shower
    Lavatory
    Armor Locker
    Growing Plots (12)
    Repair Bay (stand in block marked "R" in hanger)
    Repair Station (stand in blocks marked "RS")

Album with all pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/1VCSi

dragonflytop.png

Attached Files:

rucky, monktk, dpburke2 and 4 others like this.
  11. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Looks like a nice little ship. Will have to check it out when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

monktk and northcoaster76 like this.
  12. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The ship is 3.4 Kt, under the weight limit, the generator only goes to 76% during flight. Vertical thrust vector is 24, forward thrust is 47.
    Over 30 minutes flight time.
    Containers, constructors and devices are exposed to the player. You do not need to use the control panel to operate the ship.
    Dedicated living quarters.

On the bad side, one of the landing gear is over a thruster, meaning IRL the thruster would blow it off.
    While engineering is clearly marked, players must walk through it to get to the hangar, there is so safe route inside the ship to the hangar.
    It also does not get the hangar bonus points because the hangar bay is not pressurized.

13. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Still working on mine; it's overweight, and I have to shed 180t :D
    I'm trying something different this time. Sneak Peak:
    python_wrecked_stats.jpg
    A few more devices to add in, and then a lighting/texture pass, and the 180t diet, and it's done :D

dpburke2 likes this.
  14. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

That's a tougher one than I thought.
    6kt. That's nothing.

The well known Polaris has already more than that, and it's too small to meet that Challenge (Bonus) requirements....

Seems I have to use Standard Steel only to get the weight down on my tries.

Still... a tough one.

First, I wanted to go with an upgrade to my Challenger LX (already an upgrade to the first CV Challenge), that's already at 3.x kt
    But the Hangar space isn't easy to implement.
    Then my logical upgrade would be the Omega Scout Class (Iron Duke).
    But that's already WAY TO OVERPOWERED. 13.6 kt and it needs 6 Generators. And Hangar space would still be sub par.
    The next, the BaseStar One is even more out of scope besides have more than enough of anything (18.8kt, 4 Gen)

o_O

What is this class what we're talking here?

Nevertheless I need to try something other now... even if I won't use it ingame ;-) (lightweight steel for midgame ship?!!).

15. northcoaster76

northcoaster76 Ensign

Thanks, I must've just misplaced the landing gear and misunderstood the engineering part. No worries though, easily fixable for the future. What do you mean by pressurized (hanger)?

dpburke2 likes this.
  16. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

The ship I made is a mix of regular and hardened steel. All the half blocks are hardened and the regular blocks are normal steel. I will use the last 200 tons of weight I have to spare to put in a combat steel block around the engine and cockpit. 6KT seems like allot but it goes by quicker than I thought.

Cheers :)

dpburke2, Na_Palm and Robot Shark like this.
  17. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Thats what I plan to do, regular steel full blocks and armored steel thin.

dpburke2 and Na_Palm like this.
  18. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I am really tempted to nibble at the challenge for a CV, probably shouldn’t. Jenniphurr’s HV challenge pushed me out of my comfort zone. I had never built anything bigger than a small HV tank before. But this seems almost squarely in my zone. Not that my designs are that good, but at least as far as the rules go they seem to be within easy enough reach. Even my combat steel starting CV comes in under 6 kt (4.58), but I don’t think any of my current starting CV qualify for this challenge. For example, two don’t have enough thrust. Most have too many generators--for redundancy. I do have one that comes rather close to qualifying, but it might be easier to build from scratch than to fix it. I have a few questions based on my habits in building a starting CV.

Rule 11. If the ammo box is in engineering along with all those radiation and hot zones, does that count as accessible or inaccessible? Same question for fuel and O2 tanks. Taking that a step further, one of my starter CV actually has pathways to almost all the devices on the vessel, but many devices are only accessible outside the control panel if you go through engineering and then into tight access pathways which fail O2 checks. Would those devices in the O2 danger zones be considered accessible or inaccessible?

Rule 13. I tried a spotlight behind glass once and didn’t like the way it worked out. My preference has been behind the open shuttered windows. Does that qualify? I am fine if that fails to meet this rule. While none of my current starter CV cover their spotlights, it might be nice to clarify this before I start drafting a new blueprint.

As for the bonus:

> I am not sure what defines a mobile base.

> Pressurized SV bay. As I favor landing pads on top of my starting CV instead of bays, would using a forcefield to complete the O2 seal qualify as a “bay”? And if a forcefield fulfills this requirement, would the whole SV have to fit within the seal, or could a sealed space 2 or 4 meters tall qualify? As a minimum the forcefield would have to be at least in the second block up from the floor or its own airtight nature would prevent airflow across the pad. I haven’t tried to put together such a landing pad with O2 envelope on top of a CV yet, but I can see reasons I might try to keep such a forcefield as close to the hull as possible and still have airflow.

> Upgrade-able components exposed. Hmm. This goes back to my question about accessing devices in those various danger zones.

> Placeholders or reserved spaced for repair bay and repair station. Is there a particular way these should be marked? Just because I know I left the spot there, doesn’t mean it will be obvious to others.

19. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

My entry is up, the Janus Light Carrier.

It has dual fly-through docking bays with ramps for HV's.
    A full mobile base, let me know if I missed anything or failed the challenge (and why).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  20. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

As long as the player can walk up to them they are accessible. Not roasting the player is a plus, but fuel tanks are radioactive so you cannot keep them accessible AND safe.

As long as it makes logical sense, (spotlight behind glass or shutters) it is admissible.

Crafting facilities, storage, grow pots, items you find in a player base. The idea is to be able to land and have everything you need.

Forcefields are admissible, take a look at the top of Kahrek's entry. The whole SV/HV needs to fit within the bay.

As long as the player can easily find them it qualifies for the bonus points.

However you want to mark them. A great big "R" painted on the wall, whatever works.

Na_Palm and dpburke2 like this.