Change regarding Survival Building and Factory

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Alhira_K, May 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

In my opinion building in survival isn´t exactly optimal and the factory isn´t in everybodys favour either from what i gather.

I am hereby suggesting some changes regarding building in survival, the drone behaviour/mechanics and the factory mechanics.
    The changes i suggest are aiming at improving the game experience while staying within the games survival scope and and trying to keep some "realism" (or what kind of realism EGS defines for itself).

Building in survival and drone mechanics/behaviour:

- There should be two drone modes: one for building, one for survival use (if the devs intended the drone to be used that way, imo a "survival drone" could even be scrapped)
    - In general the drone should behave more like the player in godmode does, besides going through walls. The wonky behaviour doesn´t add anything.
    - Drone range needs to be extended imo, at least double what it is now, maybe even triple. We have 2020 and can control 50$ drones over a half a kilometer but our year 3535 drone loses connection after 50 meters? Lol. I do understand the consequences and the importance of range (this is in no way meant to spur a discussion about the range of wireless connectors, i think they´re fine as they are) but this is about making a real QoL and resolving a pain in the cargo bay. By extending the range it might make the drone in some cases really OP; i.e. like early mining, thus i am even ok with scrapping the drones survival use.
    - In building mode the drone should get a third hotbar. Into this hotbar the player can drag stuff from an creative-like inventory, in which there are all blocks for building everything (blocks, devices but no player weapons, medicine, food, you get the idea). The player can then "build" the ship (there should be no ghosting or hologram effect to not obscure the view while building) and once he is done save it as a blueprint and of course from there send it to the factory. The "live blueprint" could just disappear if you deactivate the building mode/the drone and reappear if you activate the drone again. A blueprint should be permanently where you left it until you hit some reset button/key, although you shouldn´t be able to clutter the environment with blueprints, so maximum of one allowed.
    - Why a third hotbar? Imo the player should still be able to build "live" like right now if he chooses to do so. Especially on bigger survival projects like expanding space stations this is necessary. Although mixing live building and blueprint building should be made impossible, maybe if the ship already has a core then building a blueprint on top of it should be made impossible, not sure how easy that is tho.

Factory:
    - Once you start building something in the factory, the process shouldn´t start immediately. Instead you should be asked for a place where to build the base/ship. Ships should not be able to be moved underground, bases should be able to but no ground should be dug out.
    - There should then be a hologram/ghosted version of the building once you found a suitable space and started the actual construction process.
    - Maybe we could watch a drone actually build the base/ship? And if not a drone maybe some sort of building effect from a "factory device" which you have to place on the ground where you want the base/ship to be built.
    - I´m all for the drone thing tho so i´m rooting for this idea. There could be another balancing factor built into this, like you have to supply the drones during the process (T1 version in portable contructor upwards, T2 in large constructor) and also put into the factory? Although they shouldn´t be a too restricting factor.

As i said i tried to suggest reasonable changes and tried to give my reasoning behind everything. What are your thoughts on this? Any ideas or reasons as to why somethign is bad or could be abused?

EDIT: Added suggestion tag but its not showing up and i can´t change title now to add "suggestion". RIP.