Changing Game Options for Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ishollack, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

Is it possible to change the gameoptions.yaml for a game that has already been created?

I launched my first dedicated server to play with a friend, and didn't realize until several levels in that the CPU and volume restrictions were inactive. We would like to activate those and up the difficulty of enemies/base attack, ect. for the current game without restarting everything.

I've tried editing the yaml but it doesn't seem to be working in game. Either I'm doing something incorrectly or this isn't possible. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    In your save game folder open the gameoptions.yaml that is located in the folder & open it then add these parameters under Valid For MP

Code:
        EnableVolumeWeight: true
        EnableCPUPoints: true

Here is a example from the gameoptions.yaml save game I currently have loaded on a server:

Code:
    - ValidFor:
      - MP
      - Survival
      EnableMaxBlockCount: true
      AutoMinerDepletion: false
      GroundedStructureSpawn: true
      TurretUndergroundCheck: true
      DespawnEscapePod: true
      ForcePvP: true
      OriginFactionStart: true

Once you add them save the file then start the server again.

You may also try using these console commands as the admin:
    gopt set EnableCPUPoints true
    gopt set EnableVolumeWeight true

3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

One of these days someone needs to document what these settings all mean and do. Yes, some of them are pretty obvious. Others, not quite so.
    Reference guides are quite handy.

4. Did you look in the gameoptions_example.yaml?
    Nearly everything is explained in there. Look in some of the default scenario folders to find the example file.

5. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I have, and I've looked at pretty much all the other yaml files as well. Like I said, a lot of settings are pretty straightforward. Some have internal notes, some are a good bit vague.

6. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is what I have been trying to do and it has not worked. I have edited the gamoptions.yaml in both the content/scenarios area and the game saves area in the dedicated server directory. The latter seems to automatically revert to default on each server restart.

As for the admin commands, I am able to type them into the console successfully. However, it does not actually affect anything in game (e.g. I drop a huge volume item into my inventory and it allows me to do it). Restarting the server after using admin commands reverts back to original settings...

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

EDIT: Sorry for double post that was weird.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Sounds like you didn't look in the specific file I stated then. It literally explains what every one of the settings does. It breaks them down individually and gives a description of each setting.
    Code:
    ### Game Options
    ### ------------
    ### Shows available parameters and their default values.
    ### If needed change a value and uncomment the respective line.
    ### For local Coop, the MP setting is relevant.

### Dataset selector: The first possible set is used. Allowed: 'Survival' or 'Creative' and 'MP' or 'SP' -- missing part = no restriction
    # ValidFor:

### Time after which player-built structures without core or less than 10 blocks get removed when not visited (0 = disabled)
    # DecayTime: 24

### Time after which any player-built structures get removed when not visited (0 = disabled)
    # WipeTime: 0

### Time during which structures are offline protected [in real time hours]
    # ProtectTime: 48

### Delay until the offline protection is enabled [in real time sec]
    # ProtectDelay: 300

### Max number of structures per playfield (limit = 255, reduce if you have performance problems)
    # MaxStructures: 200

### Distance (in m) around a faction's base where no other faction's base can be built in PvE playfields (0 = disabled). Note: If 'LandClaimZone: Device' is set in playfield.yaml, AntiGriefZones will only exist for structures that have a Landclaim Device.
    # AntiGriefDistancePvE: 30

### Distance (in m) around a faction's base where no other faction's base can be built in PvP playfields (0 = disabled). Enable to avoid griefing when using offline protection. Note: If 'LandClaimZone: Device' is set in playfield.yaml, AntiGriefZones will only exist for structures that have a Landclaim Device.
    # AntiGriefDistancePvP: 300

### Distance (in m) around ore deposits where no other faction's base can be built (0 = disabled)
    # AntiGriefOresDistance: 30

### Playfield type (All, PvP, PvE) where the AntiGriefOresDistance is valid
    # AntiGriefOresZone: PvE

### Determines what kinds of trading is enabled, e.g. player-to-player or player-to-NPC
    # EnableTrading: All

### Enable or disable the max counting of blocks such as the weapon limit
    # EnableMaxBlockCount: true

### Enable or disable the volume and weight limit
    # EnableVolumeWeight: false

### Enable or disable the CPU points limit (note that CPU Points are still an experimental, work-in-progress feature that is not fully balanced yet - only enable it if you want to test it and give us feedback)
    # EnableCPUPoints: false

### Enable or disable whether autominers deplete resource deposits
    # AutoMinerDepletion: true

### Enable or disable whether blueprints must be placed on a base or capital vessel when being spawned
    # GroundedStructureSpawn: true

### Enable or disable check that disables turrets when they are placed below the terrain / water level
    # TurretUndergroundCheck: false

### The name of the default Origin
    # OriginDefault: Neutral

### False will not allow any alliances with or join to factions from other Origins
    # OriginAccessOthers: true

### Factions are per default allied if they are in the same Origin
    # OriginAutoAlliance: true

### False will not damage any allied structure even in PvP. Will still hurt players!
    # FriendlyFireInPvP: true

### Max number of NPCs that are spawned around a player
    # MaxSpawnedEnemies: 50

### Per default the escape pod will not despawn any more to allow a player base and sleep till the morning in SP
    # DespawnEscapePod: false

### Set to true to allow POI regeneration
    # RegeneratePOIs: false

### Set transparency of 'Fog-of-War': 0 to 100 => opaque to completely transparent (invisible)
    # FOWTransparency: 0

### Delay when structures will be unloaded if no player is near it (set to 0 to disable DSL)
    # DSLUnloadSecs: 30

### Distance at which a structure on a planet will be unloaded if no player is near it
    # DSLDistancePlanet: 1200

### Distance at which a structure in space will be unloaded if no player is near it
    # DSLDistanceSpace: 3000

### Forces all playfield to be PvP. Useful for coop games
    # ForcePvP: false

### Player joining a game will always be in a default faction unique to the Origin. Useful for coop games
    # OriginFactionStart: false

### If true, the scenario will be managed for score and other statistics, timers and other related data.
    # IsManagedScenario: false

### If true, a thruster needs open space behind it to work. Otherwise, the thruster will be deactivated.
    # ThrustersNeedOpenSpace: false

### --- Difficulty settings ---
    ### Notice: Changing some of the difficulty settings require to start a new game in order to take effect
    ### - PLAYER -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Determines the content of your equipment when you start a new game [Easy, Medium, Hard]
    # DiffEscapePodContent: Medium

### Influences the overall player progression speed by earning more or less XP [Faster, Normal, Slower]
    # DiffPlayerProgression: Normal

### Influences the speed of degradation when using weapons and tools [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffDegradationSpeed: Normal

### - LIFE STATS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Influences the speed of food consumption [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffFoodConsumption: Normal

### Influences the speed of oxygen consumption [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffOxygenConsumption: Normal

### Influences the impact of temperature and radiation on the player [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffRadiationTemperature: Normal

### - RESOURCES --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Influences the average amount of ore that a deposit contains [Rich, Normal, Poor]
    # DiffAmountOfOre: Normal

### Influences the average number of deposits per planet [Plenty, Normal, Few]
    # DiffNumberOfDeposits: Normal

### - ENEMIES ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Influences the overall difficulty when attacking enemies [Easy, Medium, Hard]
    # DiffAttackStrength: Medium

### Influences the overall number of drones that are present on a planet [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffDronePresence: Normal

### Influences the frequency of the drone base attacks [Off, Low, Normal, High]
    # DiffDroneBaseAttack: Normal

### - CONSTRUCTION -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ### Influences the overall craft speed of constructors [Faster, Normal, Slower, Instant]
    # DiffConstrCraftTime: Normal

### Influences the overall production speed of the blueprint factory and the repair speed of the repair bay (Repair-2-Template and Repair Blocks) [Faster, Normal, Slower, Instant]
    # DiffBpProdTime: Normal

Which ones specifically are vague? Maybe we can help you understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2020
  9. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I'll have to look at my note pad when I'm home, as I don't have access to it from the office, but I do have a list of a few of these that I've not been able to locate much information for - and not all of them are specifically game-setting options. These are usually the easier to discern ones.

10. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Make sure your server is OFFLINE before you edit them. Otherwise it will revert them back on a restart yes

SylenThunder and Germanicus like this.
  11. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

I have been editing them with the server offline. I edit the yaml in notepad++, save it, and then start the server and empyrion. When I log into the server and use gopt it lists all the options as default.

Just to clarify, Am I supposed to edit the yaml in the content/scenarios directory or saves/games directory? We are running the project eden scenario.

12. If you edit the gameoptions.yaml in the scenario folder then it will only apply to new saves created with that scenario and not current saves.
    If you want to edit a current save then you need to edit in the saves directory.

Also make sure after saving the file that you close the file in notepad++ and also close the folder afterwards before starting the server.
    Otherwise sometimes the server can't properly access the file and will use default values instead.

13. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

That "gopt" shows default is fixed on our side already. This is on the EXP Branch atm

Whats listed in the file is whats beeing used

Germanicus likes this.
  14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Going through my notes, not all of these are from .yaml files. Some are from .ecf's

IsIgnoreLC: true
    XpFactor: #

This chunk, I understand the concept of, but would like some clarification regarding:

DamageMultiplier_1: 2.5, data: head, display: DmgMultiplierHead
    DamageMultiplier_2: 0.015, data: wood
    DamageMultiplier_3: 0, data: dirt|stone|rock|hullarmored|hullcombat
    DamageMultiplier_4: 0.4, data: metal
    DamageMultiplier_5: 0.05, data: metalhard
    DamageMultiplier_6: 0, data: shield

These are clearly how a weapon's damage output is modified vs. various targets. In this case, 2.5x damage for a headshopt. .015x damage against wood and so forth. Not all weapons have this many fields, sometimes these fields are combined, so where I'm looking to clarify things:
    Can we configure custom DamageMultipliers vs. various materials simply by creating a DmageMultiplier_#: mutiplierValue, data: materialType?

For example, the AssaultRifle has:

DamageMultiplier_1: 3.5, data: head, display: DmgMultiplierHead
    DamageMultiplier_2: 0, data: dirt|stone|rock|wood|hullarmored|hullcombat
    DamageMultiplier_3: 0, data: shield

Could I expand it this way:

DamageMultiplier_1: 3.5, data: head, display: DmgMultiplierHead
    DamageMultiplier_2: 0, data: dirt|stone|hullarmored|hullcombat
    DamageMultiplier_3: 1.1, data: rock|wood
    DamageMultiplier_4: 0, data: shield

to make it more effective against rock and wood, for example? Can I also display these multipliers by adding the , display: MngMultiplierRock|Wood or would these have to be separate "line items"?

DestroyOnClose: False

I've only noticed this used on the Backpack and DropContainer container item. It suggests this particular container would "go away" when the player closes out of it, making for a single-use pick-up type container, which could be useful in certain circumstances.

This is the end of this note, but I do have a reference to another set of notes, but those files must be on some bit of removable media, so I'll have to do some hunting.

ravien_ff likes this.
  15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

No clue what this might be.

I think you mostly got the others right.

zaphodikus likes this.
  16. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

If I'm right about the DamageMultiplier business, then it should be a fairly straight-forward task to rebalance weapons in regards to shields and materials.

It should also be feasible to add some additional material types intended to serve as vehicle and base armors - such as Ceramic blocks, which would have a high resistance (low multiplier) against Laser weapons, but a low resistance to kinetic (Cannon/Minigun) weapons (high multiplier), to create a more robust strategy for combat (offence and defense).

17. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

Unfortunately it still isn't working even after closing out everything prior to starting the server.

This is whats in my gameoptions.yaml

Options:
    - DSLUnloadSecs: 0
    DSLDistancePlanet: 0
    DSLDistanceSpace: 0
    - ValidFor:
    - MP
    - Survival
    GroundedStructureSpawn: false
    TurretUndergroundCheck: true
    DiffAmountOfOre: Rich
    DiffNumberOfDeposits: Plenty
    DiffAttackStrength: Hard
    DiffDronePresence: High
    DiffDroneBaseAttack: High
    DiffConstrCraftTime: Faster
    DiffBpProdTime: Faster

18. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

The file only list changed options. Any default option wont be in there. So your file looks pretty right. Only the valid for should be at the top

What exactly are you trying to change?

19. ishollack

ishollack Ensign

The server is currently using all default settings. We want to have volume and CPU active. Would like to increase enemy difficulty, resources, and constructor/bp production speed as well.

20. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Your file shows its useing those. So it should work.

the GameCommand is broken as i said last time. Its fixed on the EXP Branch