Cities, one day, maybe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samoja, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

I am wondering if it is in the perview of the devs to implement full fledged cities into the game at some point, they would function kinda like trade stations, but bigger, with more and bigger shops and perhaps even special quests you could get there.

Now you may ask, why do we need a city? Answer: because cities are awesome, they would dwarf in size any structure we have right now. Now i don't want a city on every planet, perhaps one for Xirax and one for Polaris in the system, Polaris one could even be a large station ala Citadel from Mass Effect. I am fully aware this is nowhere near priority right now, but maybe some day.

Wayson and michaelhartman89 like this.
  2. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

interesting idea. but I would expect that when we see more star systems that maybe have the home worlds of some of the factions.

3. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

As a city builder, part of the issue is the sheer impact on the client, when you get into things this size. Regretfully, it already has problems rendering large objects on lower- and mid-range computers. They're constantly optimizing, but there's just a limit of what's possible right now.

4. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

I am aware, but it could still happen one day, here's to hoping.

5. T431

T431 Captain

I think it's not doable with the same building blocks you get as players. Maybe if it were done with terrain, and built structures mixed through it would be possible though.

6. spacefarmer

spacefarmer Captain

The game you're looking for is Dual Universe.

7. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

I think a mixture of "real" voxel structures and lots of non functional deco/terrain buildings, could go some way to providing the large settlement effect, whilst mitigating the performance impact. Probably have to implement undamagabke ground-breaking skin deep only planet playfield as well.

Having cosmetic buildings is fairly common in many games.

Certainly providing the big settlement effect, would add much needed variety to game content/story. (Same as gas giant planets etc)

T431 and Sephrajin like this.
  8. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Once the people stop complaining About size class' :p

Because a simple fact is, when a base (1 home) is class 5, what do you expect of a City? :D
    Deco-cities are nice, sure.
    But there's alot more Immersion with with something like this MAUL Spawndock (Spawndock for Motherships of Astronomic Unit Lengths), where one can actualy walk around and get into (more or less meaningfull) Buildings like Shops, School, Swimmingpool, public-servies-hall, Police, Hospital, firemen Station, and since it's a spawndock, of Course several factories or at least production and storage Areas, where all the materials and devices are produced and stored that are then beeing used for the ships Player 'can build' (f2 factory spawn).

20190612064550_1.jpg Class Current: 98, WIP
    Class Expected: 130'ish

Now, with enough distance to the next big city, this might work well - in single Player.
    But it gets very laggy in multiplayer, with more than 3 Players around - and mind you, they're probably 'here' to spawn a big CV... (in this case)

On one of the server's i've been admin on, we had a Group of People who were actualy building a City.
    They had picked a class 4 planet with few resources (amount of deposits) on it, and asked if they could Claim an area of 5x5 km.
    Now as this was usualy not allowed, since they asked, were a Group of 10 ppl and did the work of Looking for a planet with few deposits, we'd agreed.
    Long Story short, in the end they accomplish a (deco) City of 3.5 x 3.5 km, with of Course most essential parts working, like factory and Hospital.
    I've seen one of the most impressive Airports there, but it was laggy as hell.

But back to the Point... @Samoja , build a City, submit in the 'submit your base to eleon' thread and Maybe it gets included.
    My stuff is usualy considered as 'too large'.

Frigidman and T431 like this.
  9. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

Yeah, i was not thinking of player built cities, rather ones created by the game engine itself, in order to realize it properly a lot of new mechanic would have to be developed, more then likely it would have to consist of chunks that only load in once you are close or something, to avoid a huge platform loading all at once and frying even the best of PCs, i agree it should be functional, i am all for eye candy but it gets old extremely quickly, however there would be a lot of ways to make cities a worthwhile place to visit, some functional and others purely cosmetic, but still interesting.

For one cities could form an economic axis with space stations and outposts, where you could go and buy raw materials for cheap on those outlying colonies and sell them for profit to the cities, while cities on the other hand could be selling high tech manufactured goods and tools that you could sell to the outposts, that way you could choose to make a living as a trader, something i believe is not possible at this time, adding a whole new aspect to the game.

Cities could also offer their own specific set of missions, because it is such a big construct it would be feasible to make missions such as "apprehend a criminal" in which you do not even leave the confines of the city, such missions are not completely different to what we have now but it is all about the flavor, even if the mechanics are the same it can feel different.

Then you could have shipyards in the cities that would sell a certain number of (possibly configurable) prefab ships, not too dissimilar to the factory but again, it's all about the flavor.

Those are just a few ideas i had.

Wayson and SacredGlade like this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'm wondering how you managed that with the current SI system being the way it is ....... :D

11. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

It's a spacestation.

ravien_ff and Frigidman like this.
  12. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

This is what I'm running into with the space station I created. It's up to size class 173 now and while that's useable on my older mid range computer I really don't know how well it would perform in a multiplayer setting. It takes a good 45 seconds to a minute to load in. I have to be really careful with how many lights and npcs I can add or it really bogs down.

There are additional problems with players spawning in large, ground based structures too(structural integrity issues as well as things over a certain size just not wanting to place at all).

Sephrajin likes this.
  13. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Now try spawning in a bunch of those structures side by side (to simulate a city of sorts) and try flying around in a SV.

It's just not nearly optimized enough for that at this time, sadly. I'm not sure it ever will be.

14. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Why not treat them as single buildings as one object and replace some of the tree's. I would think the system could care less what type of object the trees are. Trees have a number of polys and simple buildings should have less.

15. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I've simulated a city with some specially built... "dioramas" specially made for screenshots (see signature for example) and let me tell you that the fps in a block-based city would be unimaginably terrible.
    The only way we're likely to see cities is if they're part of the terrain or terrain deco.
    Galactic Heroes_2018-10-31_00-31-44.png
    This one was only 20 or so buildings and my fps was so bad... they're all basically empty on the inside too.

SacredGlade and Sephrajin like this.
  16. juliemack169

juliemack169 Ensign

Its a quite good idea dear.

17. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

Well it isn't exactly revolutionary, it's a pretty straightforward progression following from what we have in the game right now, the main issue is making it work with the engine without trashing performance, i am sure the devs came up with the idea themselves at some point, which is why i posted it here to have people discuss options and hopes instead of posting it in Suggestions subforum.

18. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Yep. Currently that is probably the only way the client could handle it.

19. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

You used windows. :D

The city I built has next-to-no windows, lights, etc. Everything is blocks and textures, with as few emissive textures as possible.

I should finish up that project (maybe spawn several copies of what I've built) and get an FPS test going...

ravien_ff likes this.
  20. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

spacefarmer likes this.