Color palettes

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by GTv, Jun 3, 2017.

1. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

I have been playing Black Desert Online with my wife recently and really like the color palettes they offer and would love to see that concept come to empyrion. They have several palettes with the same colors and each palette has a certain look and feel to it. For example there is one palette for shiny metal,and one for authentic metal. One for silky fabric, shiny fabric, authentic leather, glossy leather, to name a few.
    Each palette contains about 80 or 90 colors ranging from light to dark tints and shades in each hue.

Iluminator likes this.
  2. Grunzer

Grunzer Ensign

I fully agree with your idea, a color pallette or may be a simply RGB-wheel would be great.

3. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

The current file format severely limits the number of possible colours, presumably to save space. Each colour index is now just five bits, giving a choice between 32 colours. Of course, the format could theoretically be extended with an additional table containing palette indices for each face as well.

4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

As far as I recall, though, the colors for each block are stored in a 64-bit field; in principle, the number of possible colors could be greatly expanded without having to reconfigure the save file format. A custom palette stored with each ship would definitely be the better way to go, though, and would not require any changes to the save format at all.

5. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Nope. The value in the colour matrix is 32 bits, but that makes five bits for each of the six sides of the block.

EDIT: The remaining two bits could be used to specify a palette for the entire block though - similar to how the symbols work.

EDIT 2: It is the texture matrix that has 64 bit values - six bits for each side of the block. This seems to be quite a waste of space though - why not just use five bytes instead of eight? A bit odd that they are so very conservative with memory on some things and waste on other... Maybe it has something to do with performance and not so much space.

EDIT 3: It is getting late and it is hot here. My brain isn't working. Corrected the number of bytes in "EDIT 2"

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Unless I'm missing something, doesn't that leave 34 bits free, not just 2?

7. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

5*6=30, so six five bit values require 30 bits. The value is 32 bits, so only two left over. (I really should go to bed now, so I might be spouting nonsense at this point, but I think that is right.)

EDIT: Note that the colour matrix holds 32-bit values and the texture matrix holds 64-bit values.

geostar1024 likes this.
  8. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

In any case, I like the suggestion - more colours (and textures, and symbols) would be sweet.

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Ah, ok, then I had indeed misremembered.

10. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

They still need to allow blocks with more than 6 sides to have more than 6 sides. lol That has been screwed up since day one.

11. Grunzer

Grunzer Ensign