Coolant in a vanilla game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by byo13, Oct 29, 2020.

1. byo13

byo13 Captain

Hey guys.

I'm not sure someone asked it before and I tried searching with no results.
    But where do I find coolants to buy?

I could find filters in a Polaris station and there's only one single trader who will sell them cheap.
    But coolant... so far, no deal.

Is there any trader selling this or is this a rare item?

Thanks a lot.

2. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Not sure of the answer, but why is coolant needed?

byo13 likes this.
  3. byo13

byo13 Captain

It's a commodity, like filters. They can't be used as ingredients yet (InfoNeeded... lol).
    But Gas Stations usually pay a high price for filters, fuel packs, oxygen bottles and... coolants. :D

KRanKO5 likes this.
  4. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Ahh...cool! Never considered just using them as trade goods.

byo13 likes this.
  5. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

Have you tried manufacturing generators? You can sell them from the logistics toolbar.

bluemax151, KRanKO5 and byo13 like this.
  6. byo13

byo13 Captain

Indeed. I have a lot of generators from salvaging wreckages and hunting corvettes and never thought about selling them. :)

7. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

Looking at the TraderNPCConfig file there are 4 vanilla traders who have coolant in stock. Their naming just isn´t that helpful.

- Lava
    - Gas
    - Warehouse
    - Power

Not sure though how to find out where you can find one of them exactly without looking at every single blueprint. I'd almost suspect Lava and Power to be Zirax installations, Gas could be found at a Polaris space station (I think there is one named Gas Station or so) and maybe Warehouse in a Pirate poi? I'm only guessing though.

KRanKO5 and byo13 like this.
  8. byo13

byo13 Captain

Thanks a lot. My main directive now is to find those. :D
    I'll post here when/if I find any of them.

9. byo13

byo13 Captain

Ah, the Gas trader is the guy I want to sell coolant to.
    All of those sell/buy for a high price. I'm actually looking for traders who sell the items cheap so I can make money by selling to those guys in TraderNPCConfig.

So coolant is either a rare item or a mission item or is still under development.
    Thanks for reminding me of the config file.

10. byo13

byo13 Captain

Problem solved!

Code:
    { +Template Name: Coolant
      BaseItem: true
      OutputCount: 5
      CraftTime: 5
      Target: "BaseC,LargeC,AdvC"
      { Child Inputs
        WaterJug: 10
        PlasticMaterial: 4
        ErestrumGel: 1
      }
    }

upload_2020-10-30_9-51-25.png

I didn't want it to seem like I was cheating so I made it a little expensive to craft. :)
    What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    KRanKO5 and Alhira_K like this.
  11. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

None of these are used. They were added to the trader list over a year ago and never configured. They have the same prices and stock rates for everything.

bluemax151, byo13 and Alhira_K like this.
  12. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

Halfway to bed I didn´t even see that. :D

Looking at Vermillions last post I'd make it different now. First the template.

Code:
    { +Template Name: Coolant
      BaseItem: true
      OutputCount: 1
      CraftTime: 3
      Target: "BaseC,LargeC,AdvC"
      { Child Inputs
        WaterJug: 2
        SteePlate: 1
      }
    }
    Then I'd change the trader "Bertrams" from

Item27: "Leather, 230-300, 50-100, 180-210, 100-200"
    Item28: "Fertilizer, 100-150, 50-100, 50-80, 100-200"

to

Item27: "WaterJug,10-20, 50-100, 20-50, 40-80"
    Item28: "Coolant, 50-100, 300-350, 50-1000, 250-300"

As apparently there is no price set for WaterJugs I had to set one to have some price to go by. If you buy two of those WaterJugs for the highest price and add a steel plate for the "packaging" you're at 202 Credits max cost and sell between 250 to 300. About 100 Credits profit per unit. 10.000 sold units net about 1 million Credits. Every trader buying between 50 and 1000 means you should always have somebody to sell this stuff to.

Doesn't look op to me at the first glance but that means nothing. Pretty sure this numbers need tweaking.

KRanKO5 likes this.
  13. byo13

byo13 Captain

The "Gas" is the guy on the front desk from the Gas Refinery, right?
    That's exactly the trading route that I want to improve.

I'd appreciate if Eleon could put coolant and filters in loot containers or have a trader (it could be only one for each, hard to find) that would sell them cheap somewhere. Chemicals could be bought from factories, for instance. It'd be so easy to implement and edit the item's description. :)

14. byo13

byo13 Captain

@Alhira_K Great ideas! Thanks.
    I love how it's easy to customise the core of the game.

In my case, water jugs are very doable for me as I have water generators strategically placed in every planet I have built a base in. My entry using Erestrum gel and plastic would keep me from making easy money.

And steel plates... I don't know. The item's image doesn't show metal.
    Glass plates would make more sense... but they are still plates and not bottles.
    I edit the config to put "PlasticMaterial" and it shows as "Carbon Substrate" in game. :D

15. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

@byo13

Yeah. I think i haven't played the game for more than an hour over the last month and instead spent my time in various config files.

Yes, the steel plates aren't optimal. To be fair i just followed the games general approach of using some "packaging material" when creating something like this, just like Hydrogen Bottles. Using plastic is viable too.

It totally depends on what easy money is. On my approach as soon as you got WaterJugs and SteelPlates en masse it takes one constructor a certain time (about 8,33 hours if I#m not totally wrong, which could be the case) to produce material netting 1 million profit. But you cannot dump it to a single trader anyway due to them buying maximum 1000 at a time. Imo the erestrum gel approach is easier in the later game as erestrum is quite abundant. At the same time I couldn't find an easy way to prize the erestrum gel appropriately.

Jumping into creative I found a Polaris Gas Station to have the Gas trader. I am too lazy to setup one as POI and check but does it still have the original values as described in the NPCTraderConfig?

And yes, the naming convention is an utter mess. Took me a a bit to realize that MS = Mothership?/CV, SS = Spaceship?/SV and GV = Ground Vehicle?/HV. Its a "PlatinBar" not a "PlatinIngot" and so on and so forth.

byo13 likes this.
  16. byo13

byo13 Captain

@Alhira_K Yes, the Polaris and Traders Guild Gas Refinery has that guy buying coolant at that high price. But no counterpart on traders selling it cheap.

What I mean by "easy money" is that there are some very profitable trades. Like selling promethium ore to Gas Refineries, for instance. You can buy it really cheap (less than 5 per ore) in trading stations and a specific trader in every gas refinery will buy it for thousands each ore. The same thing with Promethium Fuel packs. You can fill your tank cheap at a trading station, then drain some fuel packs and sell to that same trader for a few thousands.

I don't see those examples as exploits as trading in real life gets close to that, right? :)

About filters, since they are sold at some Polaris Trading Stations I won't be adding them to crafting recipes. If they could make those "InfoNeeded" items available for trading strategies it'd be cool. I wouldn't even mind the lack of a description or if they would never be used as ingredients.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Fixed...

KRanKO5 and byo13 like this.
  18. byo13

byo13 Captain

Also I hoped to see more traders in space POIs like Alloy Synthesis Factories or Mining Facilities but no.
    Once you become friends with a faction their POIs will only be decorations.
    I find a lot of those POIs around but doesn't know what to do with them.
    Or am I missing something?

Heh. True. :D
    Thanks.

Myrmidon likes this.
  19. krosbonez

krosbonez Lieutenant

I have found Coolant in POI loot. It is very rare and I have only found it 3 times in a single game (so far). It has always been in a lab type room of the POIs ( I apologize, I do not remember which POIs I found it in), and in very low quantities. Usually in the deco type devices (lab table, Cryo chamber...etc...). I never knew I could sell it though until reading your post. I can finally put it to use.

20. FredHophead

FredHophead Ensign

Unfortunately there is no coolant for sale in the game :( Everyone just wants to buy it.

EDIT the trader named TRADER WAREHOUSE sells them. So I guess trader space is where you buy it.

Possibly a warehouse LOL.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021