Fixed COOP server won't start with custom space playfields [06273]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by ravien_ff, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Mode: Survival
    Mode: COOP (and assumed Dedicated)

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: Any

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Default SpaceAsteroidField set to a custom name.

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Crash

Type: COOP Server Crash

Summary: COOP server won't start when using a custom random scenario with a custom asteroid field playfield. Works fine in Single Player.

Description: When trying to start a COOP game using a custom scenario with a custom solarsystemconfig.yaml for random generation that includes a custom asteroid field, the COOP server will not start unless the playfield folder for the custom asteroid field is in the default Empyrion - Galactic Survival/Content/Playfields folder.
    This breaks custom scenarios that use random generation and has custom space playfields.

This issue may also affect some planets, moons, or other space playfields. My Project Eden scenario no longer starts on a COOP server unless all playfield folders are copied from the scenario into the main Empyrion playfields folder otherwise attempting to start a COOP server gives numerous errors about space, moon, or planet playfields even though it works fine in single player and I have gone over the solarsystemconfig.yaml for any errors. This worked fine in 9.5 so it may have to do with the Unity upgrade. I have not tested on the experimental branch yet.

Steps to Reproduce: Extract the attached Test scenario into your Empyrion - Galactic Survival/Content/Scenarios folder. Attempt to start a new game using the scenario as COOP. The dedicated server will not start. Copy the "TestSpaceAsteroidField" playfield from the scenario into the default Empyrion playfield folder. The COOP server will now start.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    Attached is a test scenario that shows the issue. It's a tiny random scenario that uses 100% default playfields except for an asteroid field that is the same as the default asteroid field, except with a custom name.
    Attached is also the coop server log.

Attached Files:

Kalizaar likes this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Same problem after updating to 9.7 experimental and validating game files.

3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Filed it under 06273

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Got checked out. It doesnt work since u provide no sector map. It only works this way if u put it in the default folders.

FYI. Since there is no docu on the SSG. The dev in question is around on our official discord. We made a SSG-QA channel for questions / issues. He will try to assist in there. Easyer for him then the forum. Your welcome to join! https://discord.gg/empyrion

Dev response:

so what is happening is that unfortunately, he's trying to use our reserved method of random generation - providing a solarsystemconfig.yaml and no Sectors directory.
    This is fine, but then he has to treat the setup as we do:
    1. Place the solarsystemconfig.yaml in Content/RandomPresets - backup first the original
    2. Copy his custom asteroid field playfield folder to Content/Playfields
    Then he can start his game in MP - works for me!

I hope this helps u. If not let me know!

Pach likes this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yeah I'm confused because my scenario was working fine in alpha 9.5. Custom planets, moons, orbits, and trade stations all worked fine. Then in 9.6 I update my scenario with custom asteroid fields and it no longer works on a server unless people manually copy the playfield files over.

It really does seem bugged since this is not the same behavior as alpha 9.5. The ability to create randomized scenarios using custom playfields is very cool and I really don't see how this could be intended behavior. Randomized scenarios should pull playfields from their own playfield folder so that people can include custom playfields in their randomly generated scenarios without requiring people to copy any files after they subscribe to a scenario.

6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I also did not have to copy the solarsystemconfig.yaml file over to start the scenario. The solarsystemconfig can stay in the scenario folder, but the playfields do need to be copied over. It's inconsistent.

7. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Can be that it was bugged in 9.5 and got fixed in 9.6 as its our reserved way

Ill see if i can get some more info on this after our Easter Break

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The ability to create custom random scenarios was added in alpha 9.0.

From the alpha 9.0 update notes:

I'll try to do some more testing to see specifically what works and what doesn't, but something is definitely not working as expected here. :D

Have a lovely Easter break!

9. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Yes your right.. forgot about that. Seems to work fine in SP just MP it seems wonkey,

Ill ask after the hollidays again :)

Thanks u aswell :)

ravien_ff likes this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I did some more testing. This issue affects the Default Multiplayer Scenario as well.

Steps to reproduce:

Start a new COOP game using the Default Multiplayer scenario. Use the "map" command to reveal the planet map. You will find an admin cored alien tower POI somewhere on the planet.

Start a new Single Player game using the Default Multiplayer scenario. Use the "map" command. You won't find the admin cored alien tower POI because in single player the game uses the correct playfields from the scenario.

Random scenarios, including the Default Multiplayer one, appear to not be correctly using their custom playfields when used in COOP or dedicated servers.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

Taelyn likes this.
  11. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Thank u, ill ask this to be looked at again

ravien_ff likes this.
  12. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

I can confirm this is still an issue with me as well. I cannot run any custom scenarios run off of the local dedicated server. I just get stuck in a spinning loop for loading. Attached are some log files from the dedicated folder.

Note that I am not running this via hitting coop in the menu screen, I am running this via the EmpyrionDedicated.cmd file every time I start. Server shows my request to join as "requested=1" but does not load any playfields

Attached Files:

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Basically any randomly generated scenario that uses custom named playfields will not load on COOP or dedicated servers unless you first copy the playfields into the main playfields folder of your game or server. The issue affects even the default multiplayer scenario. Static scenarios should work fine, however.

Hopefully they have this fixed for A10. :)

14. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Its not still discussing it :D stays the same awnser that it should never have been possible this way. What i disagree :D

Yes Static works fine, If u use a sector.yaml then it works compleet fine.

Work around is load your scenario in SP let it generate a sector.yaml and use that for MP

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The Default Multiplayer Scenario is affected by this bug as well.

16. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

ye i know :) ill speak him about it again since i really dont know :)

Pach and ravien_ff like this.
  17. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Fixed in A10 EXP

ravien_ff likes this.