Fixed CoQ when exiting the game [8101]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Robot Shark, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Build: 1.5.5 B3437
    Mode: N/A
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: 2261970

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Intermittent
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Menu Interaction

Summary: CoQ when exiting the game

Description: If you play the game for a while then exit to the main menu you will sometimes get a CoQ error. The save will load when you exit the game and reload it.

Steps to Reproduce: Play the game for a while then quit to the menu.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Added two more log files to the original post.

3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    I'm afraid we have not been able to reproduce this & the log doesn't give enough information as to where it is coming from.

4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Odd, I normally play for about an hour before shutting down and it has happened to me three times in a row.
    This is my current save, the issue started in build 3435 but I started a new game after 3437 dropped.

5. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Four times now.
    The only thing I am noticing in the log file is this after it is cleaning up the playfield.

30-21:35:27.938 16_35 -EXC- Assembly-CSharp.ProcessInfo: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value

20210730163535_1.jpg

6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I got the same error after starting a new game in 3441.

7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Same error in 3442.

I do not want to spam the forums, are there any other logs I can upload to help identify the issue?

8. Pantera

• Developer
    I'm afraid not I cannot trigger it & the log doesn't contain enough info as to where it comes from so currently nothing can be done for this.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

<sigh> Understood.
    I wish I knew what was causing it, and it started with 1.5.5.
    I have verified the files in Steam as well as manually deleting the cache.
    Reinstall .Net or some other supporting program?

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

What I see in some of your other logs is this (last lines, repeatedly) :

GarbageCollector disposing of ComputeBuffer. Please use ComputeBuffer.Release() or .Dispose() to manually release the buffer.

What were you doing in game just prior to closing it ?

Edit : just to add to this, I also had this occurrence of a CoQ when leaving a game, but I simply clicked "continue" and stayed on the main menu then started a creative game from there, played a bit, exited the game and THEN I closed Empyrion. I then went to look at the last log, and there I saw the first game start (survival) with a normal unloading of assets (close the game) and the following start of the Creative game, with no error in between apart that "value can't be null" thing you mentioned. But at the very bottom of the log file there were the many notifications about "Garbage collector disposing of ComputeBuffer" like I wrote in yellow up here. In some of your logs, Robot Shark, there are no such mentions after quitting Empyrion, and in some other logs it is there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Robot Shark and Germanicus like this.
  11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I've just been playing a survival game, no alt-tabbing and switching between windows.
    I will admit to using the console cheat commands because I have been turbo charging the missions.

For me, the amount of time spent playing seems to be a factor. If I start/load a game then promptly exit I do not see the error, it's only after I have been playing for a while.

It normally happens when I close the session I am currently playing and return to the main menu. The CoQ has been appearing just before the main menu displays and I usually just click on continue then exit the game. I have not tried starting a new game after the error like you did.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Kassonnade likes this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

@Robot Shark : when I asked what you were doing before logging out from your play session was more about specific actions. This message I put in yellow is sometimes related to memory leaks (GPU) and on one instance I saw it was related to object manipulations in a game, which demand rapid and constant update of the graphics components (ex. when building quickly with copy-paste or ctrl-hold to make a square slab of blocks, in Empyrion).

In my game I followed the start of the Robinson Protocol (new one), and on my way to the 1st POI I grabbed lots of stuff (rocks and plants). When I arrived at the POI I crafted the gun + ammo, but just 1 of the 2 to leave the task "active" (need another "ammo" crafted) before leaving the game. Just as I pressed "escape" to leave, then in the top left corner all the reputation scores for picking up plants (!) appeared in a short column (+50 Zirax, +10 Talon, etc) and I quit the game while this was still trying to display in the background. That is when I got the CoQ, pressed "continue" and then started the Creative session.

Robot Shark and Germanicus like this.
  13. SamuelPatre

SamuelPatre Lieutenant

Just wanted to confirm, I have been seeing the same COQ error on exit.

I was just assuming it was because I was running Reforged Galaxy with the most current experimental.

Build: 1.5.5 B3443
    Mode: N/A
    Mode: Singleplayer (Scenario Reforged Galaxy 1.5)

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: 643803

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Trivial

Type: Menu Interaction

This issue has happened consistently over the last 3 days, every time I quit.

That being said, having just been updated to 3444 this morning, and only getting in, loading the save, playing for less than 10 minutes and getting out, there were no problems.

Attached Files:

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I do a lot of salvaging in the beginning, colleting materials from the wreckage POI's.
    I also do a lot of SI failure salvaging, causing the POI to collapse then running around collecting materials.

I also observed an instance where I was modifying a SV and the blocks did not update on the screen after I had removed them, so that may be related.

Sadly, the issue is persisting in 3444.

Kassonnade likes this.
  15. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I noticed something that may be related.

I exited my game and received the error, but I noticed that my map had been wiped when I reloaded the save.
    The POI's I had found were still mapped, but the land was not.

Map before exiting:
    20210806205717_1.jpg

Map after reloading:
    20210806205759_1.jpg

Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  16. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

There is a tiny little program which I had used to find out what Program/hardware may have caused a crash on my Laptop -.
    You may try to use it on your system - it reads only crash dumps that it finds on your PC and lists the causes.
    https://resplendence.com/downloads

Crash Analysis Tools - https://resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

Kassonnade likes this.
  17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, because the game does not really "crash" there is no crash dump to write ; it's only a weird occurrence of a CoQ message, but the Empyrion.exe still runs OK, and we can even load or start another game from within the same session.

What @Robot Shark mentions just above shows that the game fails at writing some parts of the data to disk (when it saves upon exiting) but I would be curious to see if the log writes the "GarbageCollector disposing of ComputeBuffer" thing only when the CoQ message appears when exiting a game, or if it does it also when no CoQ message is shown.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

...hm...good point...:(

19. Pantera

• Developer
    I managed to find a way to have this to trigger reliably within a few minutes of game play:

1) Started a new survival game on the temperate planet & follow the Robinson protocol
    2) When you get to the mission to gather fiber & plant protein open the inventory (TAB) the press escape & exit the save game <- CoQ triggers

This will be looked into asap.

20. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Bravo! Great Work!:cool: