PLZ Retest and Re-Report Crashing on backup

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Miznit, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

In the last day or so, the game has started crashing when saving a backup from in game. Any other action does NOT cause it. Has this happened to anyone else? (And exiting to main menu, it saves fine, with no crash)

It's possible that I have a corrupted save, but don't know how to find out.

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hey can you supply the original save game & a copy of the backed up save & also a copy of the logs folder ?

How to attach a save game to a report:
    For SP go to:
    SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games
    1. Right click on the save folder & place your mouse cursor over 'Send to' create a compressed copy of it (or use winzip or 7zip)
    2. Drag & drop a copy in your reply box or use the upload a file option on the forum.
    3. If the folder is too large use a file hosting site like mediafire, dropbox or google drive & add a share link to it

How to attach logs to a report:
    Client log location:
    Right click on Empyrion in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse local files > Logs
    1. compress the 2980 folder with windows built in compression option or use tools such as winzip or 7zip
    2. then attach them to your reply by dragging them into the reply box or using the upload a file option.

3. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Here is the game save, backup save, and log folder.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Additional info: Further testing seems to show that when the crash happens, it affects Steam. I have to close Steam and restart it. I just finished verifying the local files, and there were two that required replacement/downloading. I will test again, and see if the problem persists.

EDIT: Problem with Steam was resolved, problem with saving a backup from in-game persists.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  5. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks but unfortunately I cannot make the error trigger when I use the backup option no error appears.
    Can you give any more information on this ?
    Can it happen when you load in & try to back up the save game right away or does it only happen after a certain amount of time or possibly other actions ?

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

It happens every time I try to save a backup, even if I just got in. I tried that save after the update to 12.3, and same thing. However, starting a new world everything works fine. To me, it seems it's just that one save game, though. (I DID have an error on another save game, but that one brought up a bug report dialog and didn't crash. As it was a creative game to try a few blueprints, I just deleted it.)

If I have to just call this one unknown and start a new world, that's fine.

7. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Okay, I just tried something radical. I deleted the world and the backup that were crashing. Then, I unzipped the copy that I had zipped to send you, and copied it into the save game folder. Went in, left the base I had been standing in, and tried the backup...it worked fine. Not sure WHAT is/was going on. I think I will make a manual backup of the stuff in case this happens again.

8. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks for replying I'll leave this open for now in case a way to force it to happen comes up.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Ok. it doesn't make any sense to me, but it is working fine, now. Played a while today, made a backup 3 or 4 times, over a couple of hours, and it worked the way it is supposed to. I will report back if it happens again;

10. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Shut down the computer last night. Started it up today, played for a bit, started to get lag spikes, tried to save, and it is now crashing again ON THAT SAVE. I tried a different save game, and it worked fine. I'm beginning to think that there is something about that save and my machine that aren't working together. I guess I could always delete the game and download it again, see if that helps, maybe install to a different drive.

11. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

I don't know if this needs to remain open, at this point. I'm convinced that there is a local (to my computer) problem/something on MY machine that is erratically interfering with the backup process. Since my last post on Sat, I have been able to make a backup on one session, then not on the next. I have found NOTHING that can reproduce it on command, and it ONLY affects one save game, and it saves on exit just fine. As it isn't really game-breaking, and I can work around it quite easily, I'll leave the decision to you, and just chalk it up to "weird stuff that happens from time to time."

CHEERS!