Help needed Creating a new scenario: What exactly should I copy?

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Pembroke, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Sorry for a *very* newbie question but I'm doing this the first time...

In this forum in the pinned post "Purpose of this Forum" there's a link to the FAQ on how to create a scenario by Hummel-o-war. ("FAQ for CUSTOMIZATION & SCENARIO"). The FAQ is good but could someone clarify this part:

In the section "CREATE A SCENARIO" the item 5 states:

"Copy the sectors.yaml file from ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Sectors to your tutorial \Sectors folder"

The problem is that there is no "Sectors" folder in the folder "Content". If I search for the file "sectors.yaml" I find it in several places, all under the different scenario folders in the "Scenarios" folder and I assume each yaml is meant for a particular scenario:

...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Default Akua-Omicron\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Default Base Attack\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Default Creative\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Invader vs Defender - Conflict of Cygnus\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Shadows of Starlight\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\Tutorial\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\_TestBaseAttackCS\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\_TestScenario\Sectors\Sectors.yaml
    ...\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\_TestScenario2\Sectors\Sectors.yaml

I'm *guessing* that what's going on here is that the game structure has changed after the FAQ was written and the default game is now also considered technically a scenario, meaning that I should copy the sectors.yaml from one of the scenario folders instead. Is this correct? If so, which one should I use if I just want the default single-player game? Or am I now looking in a completely wrong place?

Also, it say "copy to ... your tutorial \Sectors folder". Is that a typo? I assume what is meant here is that you need to copy it to the Sectors folder inside your own new scenario folder that you just created in the steps before 5.

My reason for creating a scenario is to just test a POI base I made. I don't want to risk accidentally messing up the real game files so I thought creating a "test scenario" for testing purposes would best protect me from that.

2. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Here's an attached example - that i use -- Just put in the Scenarios folder..

If you want some more complexified example done by a ranki amateur (so maybee understandable) see

https://empyriononline.com/threads/npc-factions-call-for-papers.92373/page-2#post-395952
    or
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/npc-factions-call-for-papers.92373/page-3

(greys and tarik -- posts )

Just Keep ijn mind if your starting.
    ALWAYS back up a Working .yaml file Before you change it
    The .ysml stuff is soo soooooo sensitive to any incorrectly added space (yes space - sort of ironic for a space game) and you can easily get lost
    for hours ...

The sectors file can be changed manually or use the eWSSC web program (just type it into your google browser) -- good luck

Attached Files:

3. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Thank you. I tried reading the discussions you referred but didn't find an answer how to make a "don't change anything" scenario. From the example you provided I gather that you just generate one or copy it from an existing scenario that's "as close to what you need as you can find". Would have been nice to know how to make one out of the default game. Tried searching more with Google but all the guides and discussions that I found referred to the "old way" and used that no-longer-existing ...\Content\Sectors folder as the base.

So, I guess I'll go with the "one scenario is as good as any" solution if you just want to test your POI. :)

Which is what I now did. In case anyone else is trying to figure out the same stuff here's a quick summary of what I did:

- I picked the "Spanjs_POI_Challenge" scenario from the workshop to use as the base. No other reason than finding and watching Spanj's YouTube video on how to make your own POI where he uses this one. It's also simple. Just one planet so all the config files are compact and reasonably clear. So subscribed to that.

- I created a new folder under ...\Content\Scenarios. Simply named it "POITest". Then I just copied everything from the above workshop scenario into my own scenario folder. Note, that subscribed workshop content is *not* under the Empyrion folder but under the general Steam workshop folder. In this case: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\383120\2014428546. The "383120" is the magic number for Empyrion and that other long number is the Steam workshop id of the scenario.

- I then set in my Creative mode game the GroupName of my POI blueprint to "Test_POI", opened the folder of my Creative game save where the blueprint epb-file is and copied that into my new Scenario folder under the sub-folder "Prefabs".

- Then I edited in my Scenario the "playfield_static.yaml" file. I changed only two settings: GroupName to match the one I gave my own POI and then changed the Faction from "Zirax" to "None" (because it's a temple ruin dungeon and in the default game these kind of POIs seemed to have "None", don't really know what all stuff this actually affects...). That is I did this:

### POIs
    POIs:
    Random:
    # Challenge Poi
    - GroupName: Test_POI
    Faction: None

And that was it. Then I just started a new game and chose "Scenario" and there my own new Scenario ("POITest"). My ruined temple appeared as expected and looked fine except for a couple terrain artifacts which I need to look into.

The dungeon setup worked, switch logic did what I planned, and all the critters spawned. All good *except* for one tiny little detail: The darn spiders are not attacking! :)

Is this a more general bug in the game (remember having encountered this behavior in the vanilla game in the "Burial Chamber" dungeon...) or have I now forgot to do or configure something or done something wrong? Though, I guess this is no longer a "test spawn a POI" matter and would be more appropriate in its own thread and maybe in some other place. Just thought I'd mention this as it was pretty funny: There I was all ready to do the test run with just the basic shotgun and no armor to see how well I had gauged the difficulty level for the intended low-level player and jumped into the pit for the challenge... :)

4. tony hug

tony hug Commander

not entirley sure but as an idea you could check -

If you've created the spiders as 'same faction as base' when you place them (dropdown box)
    and set the base faction to 'None' supect they might not be hostile (most likely ) - (Alien always attacks )

5. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Thank you very much! That was it. Changing it to "Faction: Alien" made the spiders hostile!

Died several times so might have to tune down the spawn numbers a bit... :)

tony hug likes this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

There's an example scenario in my signature you can use.

Sup and tony hug like this.