Creating "Holographic" LCD Screens & Formatting

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by ravien_ff, May 24, 2019.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Original discovery: https://empyriononline.com/threads/lcd-screen-and-richtext.47691/

Making "holographic" displays or using different formatting options for your LCD screens is easy but takes some playing around.

20190524000321_1.jpg

Just use the following codes in your LCD screens:

20190524000620_1.jpg

To make text italic:
    <i>Insert text here</i>

To make text bold:
    <b>Insert text here</b>

To change the font size of text by making it bigger or smaller:
    <size=200>Insert text here</size>

Where size can be anything from 1 to 500. Size is further increased by the font size set in the LCD screen itself.

To make a "holographic" display:

20190524000315_1.jpg 20190524000914_1.jpg

It's a bit trickier and takes some experimentation and depends on the font size you want and how big of an LCD screen you are using but basically you do it by using the <size=x> to make your font bigger and then adding extra spaces or lines to push your text off the edge of the LCD screen to the right and/or bottom.

Example of a holographic warning placed over a hangar door:

20190524001123_1.jpg 20190524001147_1.jpg

Code:
    <SIZE=485>

═════════════
    ⚠ LOCKDOWN ⚠
    ═════════════
    </SIZE>

I attached a sample blueprint, simply drop it into your blueprints folder and spawn it in a creative mode game to take a look at these examples first hand. Feel free to copy and paste to your own LCD screens and play around with them. :)

The yellow LCD above the door is projecting text in front of the door and could be hidden in a secret room out of sight.

Known issues and limitations:

Text is still limited in size. If you're trying to make a holographic display and it's either cutting out text or not using the codes, then you have to use a smaller font size in the LCD screen settings or reduce the amount of text you're using.

There is a visual bug if a transparent object or the skybox of a space playfield is showing behind them. Don't place holographic text in front of windows. :D

You can only show holographic text to the right and/or below the LCD screen. You can't use an LCD screen to display text above itself or to the left.

Attached Files:

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Some more example of what you can do:

20190524002519_1.jpg 20190524002455_1.jpg 20190524002442_1.jpg 20190524002417_1.jpg 20190524002632_1.jpg 20190524002554_1.jpg

3. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

I think that is such a cool find, and a really funny bug/glitch.
    Well i hope that this is comming as a standart block in the LCD Tab. Something like a holographic projector block. Just have options where the direction is the holographic text should be displayed (six side available) and how big you want to go.

But this is already really cool. :-D

jmtc, Maverick241 and ravien_ff like this.
  4. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Simplest solution for this GREAT (hidden) ADDITION is - They should just re-make current screens in to "info screen device", with current variations of 'glass' LCD screens and new 'holographic screens' that will work just like force fields we have in game - several fixed dimensions and you place something like that thin metal 'stick' as a base. If they could add text rotations that would be perfect because then you dont need to fiddle around and rotate or move whole holo-screen :)

(extra bonus idea for holo-info-screens - you could choose background between full 'see-through' version like on @ravien_ff pics, and 'dimmed' version...)

Sephrajin, jmtc, Siege Inc. and 4 others like this.
  5. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Cool find! I had noticed awhile back that some text would float off the LCD panel but did not know you could use syntax to make fonts huge and float them all the way off the LCD panel. Nice find!!!!

Perhaps the devs can use this bug/glitch/exploit to create a small "Holo Display" that would float text off by design.

Sephrajin, jmtc and ravien_ff like this.
  6. jmtc

jmtc Captain

I'm very late to the game, but this is one of the coolest LCD meta yet. Thanks @ravien_ff !

ravien_ff likes this.
  7. Copper Boltwire

Copper Boltwire Ensign

Clever!

ravien_ff likes this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes there is. It involves setting up a signal loop (that isn't detected as a signal loop by the game). I think it involves using a door and/or motions sensors. It's tricky, and I don't know offhand how to do it.

9. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Yeah that's a sad part.:( I just wish they would add an adjustable blink circuit to the logic system. This would fix many ideas. At least my ideas :D

xelthor likes this.
  10. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It's pretty straightforward:
    1. Wire a door's transmit signal into a delay circuit
    2. Wire the delay circuit's output into the door's input, and set it to Follow Inverted
    3. Open the door
    4. Profit (or, blink, at least)
    You'll have to live with the door noise, but it's a loop that won't stop even when the structure is turned off.

xelthor and ravien_ff like this.
  11. fa_q2

fa_q2 Commander

Outstanding. I have been playing with holo displays recently and this will be rather useful. Thanks!

12. bbk.3164

bbk.3164 Commander

Handsomely ))
    Question: HOW can one display on LSD - information about the amount of ore in the container, how much fuel and oxygen is left in the tanks, how long will the energy last?

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That requires use of a mod.