Crosshair configuration

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jones99306, Jul 4, 2020.

1. jones99306

jones99306 Lieutenant

I'm colorblind, so was astonished to learn just today that the disappearing crosshair (when I point at something) isn't actually disappearing but turning "red."

Please add a configuration for the crosshair. I'd like to make it more visible and possibly larger. And, turning red makes it completely invisible to me, so that should be configurable as well. Those of us with colorblindness are at a huge disadvantage. It's normally not an issue, but not seeing what you're shooting at is pretty important.

zaphodikus, ulippe, Phantom 3 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

I absolutely agree. As with so many things, let us players decide if we want the microscopic, (designed for twenty year olds) itsy bitsy targeting reticule that we have now, or if we want something that is visible on a more regular basis.

In the mean time, Jones - Shotgun, spray and pray is your answer!

sneedy, Track Driver and Spoon like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I'm another one, that in the thick of battle finds it hard to see the minute crosshair and has to guess where about they are.
    An option in the game for size and colour change please.

4. +1 on the player set size and color(s).

We should be able to adjust the colors of when we are aiming at something in range and also out of range.
    This whole tiny thin white to tiny thin dull red color change is infuriating. I can't ever see it when I need it and have to guess where I'm actually shooting.

The crosshair sucked before the devs added that color changing to it but now it's 100x worse.

stanley bourdon and Track Driver like this.
  5. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

I don't mind it turning red when I'm in range. If the color back drop is good, then it's quite cool! The problem is that it is very dependent on back lighting. I take the color change to show the target is in range as a great idea. Now lets make it 3 times the size and allow us color options.

((Five centimeter Circular Reticule with the cross hair blinking white blue orange then green, with a squawking alarm sound and flashing arrows pointing inwards ... Okay, that may be going over board))

stanley bourdon and Track Driver like this.
  6. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I'm not, and I still have a hard time seeing the crosshair. Being able to customize it- and for there to be better lock notice with homing missiles would be awesome

7. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

I'm old, somewhat color-blind, and have a myriad of visual limitations. It's frightening that I still have a driver's license. the cross-hairs are fine as long as your hands are empty. As soon as you grab a tool or weapon, they need to change to something bolder and more useful. Even the new pilot's HUD, while a definite improvement, leaves much to be desired in terms of visibility.
    Adjustments to color AND brightness are NEEDED!!

8. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

Late to the party but am adding my opinion here also...when crosshair turns red it becomes almost invisible, especially on the arid planet with all the red dirt etc.

Really need crosshair color select more than anything because of the red arid, and white frozen planets.

Though a sizing selection would also be nice, I play at 2560 - 1600 and that thing is tiny.

9. The white to red color change was just a bad idea in the first place.
    It doesn't indicate that I'm actually pointing at an enemy when it turns red, it just indicates that something (even terrain) is in range.
    But WHY?
    We know the range of the target, and we know our max range. Let us use our brains to determine if we are wasting ammo or not.
    The color red was a bad idea because it gets lost in too many backgrounds, especially when it's so small and the lines are so thin. They could have at least chosen a bright red and made it bolder and larger.

I'm constantly reminded of how Minecraft does its crosshair and it works so well in that game.
    No matter what background you are looking at in Minecraft the crosshair is always visible. It changes color in an intelligent way based on the color of what you are looking at.

If the devs really want to keep the changing crosshair to indicate that something is in range then why not go with a shape change instead of a color change?
    Keep the current + shape for out of range and go with a triangle when in range, forget the red. Something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2020
  10. Track Driver

I just hope the Devs can acknowledge this thread and perhaps explain their reticence to making what should be a straight forward and basic adjustment. :mad:

jones99306 likes this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I do hope they change it. It's virtually impossible to see if you are moving your mouse quickly to try and track a quick moving baddie coming to kill you.
    I was even contemplating putting a small circular sticker on my monitor, to help me know where I'm shooting :(
    I need new eyes....

jones99306 and Track Driver like this.
  12. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

As an avid shooter IRL, I don’t mind the reticle being kinda minimal with small arms. After all...you are technically shooting from the hip until you “aim” it.

But in HV/SV/CVs it’s a bit rediculous. We have the technology to warp matter through transporters, create items in magical constructors, warp light years in a matter of seconds...yet we don’t have a missile targeting reticle, a projectile reticle, and just 4 tiny little bars to aim our devastating firepower.

I would have placed the “targeting systems” a smidge above a new warp animation.

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

off topic /

And the drone... imagine if instead of having the mute version of Portal's Weathley we could build our own drone with SV blocks, and remote control it up to 2 km...

/ off topic

stanley bourdon and ChumSickle like this.
  14. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Yup...and I mean, I get it. It’s a game (a great one). It can’t have everything. They could chase a thousand different little tweaks here and there and spent a stupid amount of time on minutia that doesn’t really matter. But combat >is< a part of the core of the game.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No no, it was genuine off-topic, no hidden message there. :)

Making a customisable crosshair should not be difficult, it's just an overlay. But I think it's on the same region of the "to-do" list as the "tint" on windows and cockpits and similar things. Might get done in next patch, or in a year...

tachyon likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Does anyone know where this overlay is in the files? I'd love to see if I can change it.

17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Unfortunately we don't have access to the textures, they're compressed in resources packs for now.

They're in "... Content\Bundles" and we can't open them in Unity. Well... maybe, but I couldn't. :D

Spoon likes this.
  18. jones99306

jones99306 Lieutenant

I find it interesting that a lot of LCD projectors in the thread about them are simple targetting reticles. It does work, but fiddling with the placement is a pain, and it shifts with resolution changes.

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Track Driver

It shouldn't be the same as window tint or animation or sound effects. It is an essential mechanism that affects the playability of the game for myself and others. As you say, it shouldn't be difficult to change. Like some others, I have made my own enhanced cross-hair using the LCD projector. As my skills are not that great, the results are hit and miss. What worked in one ship didn't readily copy to another. It's time consuming and a pain in the ass! And as noted elsewhere, it's of no value outside the ship, whether in 3rd person view or on foot.

I have great respect and admiration for what Eleon has accomplished. I have put in over 6300 hrs since 24JAN16. I hope to play 6300 more. A cross-hair that I could SEE would go a long way to help me accomplish that goal.
    :cool:

Kassonnade and Spoon like this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This is what I wrote: