Custom POI not placing flush with the ground

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by spanj, Jun 23, 2018.

1. spanj

spanj Captain

Hello,
    I am trying to get a custom POI to spawn in a new scenario i'm working on.
    I can get it to spawn in OK, the only problem is I cannot get it flush against the ground.

I have the offset to -26
    Flatten ground is ticked.

But there is this huge gap between the wall of POI and the ground wall where it have been flattened.

upload_2018-6-23_21-21-59.png

The POI is perfectly rectangular with no overlapping blocks outside of the wall you see above.
    Is there a way to close this gap?

Thanks.

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Can you attach the blueprint here so people can take a look? It's hard to tell from a screenshot.

3. spanj

spanj Captain

attached.

Attached Files:

4. spanj

spanj Captain

I have worked around the issue at the moment by turning the POI flattens ground option off and changing the yaml to spawn it in the forest biomes which are typically flatter. By randomly changing the seed and reloading i have now found a seed where it spawn almost perfectly flush with the ground.
    As the POI is raised up quite a lot it works pretty well.
    But this does unfortunately mean i cannot regen it as its now partially underground.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

If Maester Spanj takes some time for himself he finds eventually a usable solution...;):cool:

6. spanj

spanj Captain

LoL
    It will work for now.
    But i would like to be able to regen it so you can loot it multiple times.
    I think someone mentioned if there were non flat blocks on the outer wall then this gap happens. I know there are a few slope blocks on the outer wall so will see if i can correct those and try again with flatten ground.
    I will let you know if it works.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Thx, you know, I like the stuff you 're building. A different solution to the "gap" would be to make it part of the defence for the POI...like a Anti Tank Ditch, ground littered with Dragon teeth or other spikey things...Yeah, I know, that military attitude of mine...ancestors, ancestors:rolleyes:

8. Ravis

Ravis Captain

I believe flaten ground flatens it to the bottom of the building. Which is where the mote comes from. Not sure if you can have flatten ground and sink into ground at the same time.

9. spanj

spanj Captain

Ok , I sorted it.
    All blocks on the edge of the POI need to be Full cube blocks not any of the shaped blocks.
    It seems the shaped blocks is what causes the gap.
    I simply added another layer of cube blocks around the outside and it now spawns flush to the ground even with flatten-ground ticked.

I also found that the offset from ground is in half block measurement so if you want to lower the POI into the ground by 10 blocks you will need to specify -20 in the offset.

I'm now having fun with the option to spawn it on water. might see if i can get that Atlantis POI from the workshop to spawn on the water, should be fun.
    Anyway, i hope this helps other trying to figure out custom POIs.

Needleship, malrose1 and Germanicus like this.
  10. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

He did it! Huzzaaah!:D

spanj likes this.
  11. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Thanks to your enginuity I designed the basement layer of my (WIP) Imperial Outpost without shaped blocks to prevent an unintended ditch.;)

spanj likes this.
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I know this is an old thread but I've been working on a base that spawns on lava and I just figured out that you can use decimals in the blueprint offset to better line up the water line exactly where you want it. I set mine to something like -5.5 and it works as expected.

Useful if you're designing a POI around being in a specific height of water, or lava.

Thundercraft likes this.