Dear Devs...PLEASE FIX THE "SAVE GAME" FUNCTION

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dziadek, Aug 1, 2020.

1. dziadek

dziadek Ensign

Overwriting my saved games is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I already save 2 or 3 times instead of just one time - and still I lose my saved games. Also -changing time stamps is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    I do not know the reason why the game works this way - and I don't really care: no other game I ever played behaves this way. It is practically impossible not to dig myself into a hole with this system. I play as a single player.
    In case the above is not clear enough - here it is in simple words: THE CURRENT SYSTEM IS A GAME BREAKER. I love the content of the game - but the method of saving games is just broken.

Miznit likes this.
  2. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

You know unlike other games you don't need to savour game actively. It saves automatically. When you click the "save" button it just makes a copy of your game at the current time.
    As soon as you open that copy it will overwrite itself again and again. It's part of the survival that there is no easy way back.
    So it's a feature not a bug.
    Or do you mean by losing that the save literally disappears there is nothing you could load?

3. dziadek

dziadek Ensign

No - nothing literally disappears :)
    But I do not consider this a feature - my saves are my saves, period. Why cant the game mind its own business - and leave my saves alone ?!

4. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Bro, it only over-writes the one you reload doesn't it?

I empathize with you as I share all the philosophical points you make about the end-user being given COMPLETE control over the files on their machine. The attempt to 'enforce' reloading from a last save is an interesting idea, but it doesn't actually achieve it's goal; the system can be easily bypassed and with a little bit of folder fu on the part of the end-user you can operate freely doing whatever you want, and with just a bit of extra effort to circumvent the silly attempt to enforce a "one save only" rule.

Here is how I operate, and this may work for you.

I start a new game, I make sure to name the new SP campaign something recognizable like "Crashed_On_Plumi_RG" (for Reforged Galaxy).

As soon as I finish the crashing sequence I do a "manual save." Now, no matter what, I can start over fresh. I also save periodically while playing too, and can reload from any one of those saves too. This results in a massive file of saves (in my case it is inside the game directory in Steam under a parent directory called "Saves/Games" and I suspect that is where it is for everyone), so I routinely go in and prune that down to the last 5 or so save files using file explorer (Windows).

Just before I shut down from a session, I do a save. Then IMMEDIATELY quit the game. This always results in two save files with almost identical nomenclature (identical time stamp anyway). You cannot delete the auto one the game made for you on exit . . .until you reboot the game (or just do it in file explorer, you can delete it there anytime you want).

So with all that said: I do appreciate Eleon's efforts to try to create a save file process that allows players to adhere to a more "hard-core" playstyle, call it "one save only" or "dead is dead" or whatever. I myself am terribly afflicted with "Dead is Dead Neurosis" and have been known to replay the early chapters of some post-apocalyptic ultra-violent comedic superhero games dozens of times in efforts to NOT DIE. The fact that there is a "Clone Chamber" functionality in this game is neat, and I like it, though I think it is "too easy" (should be somewhat costly to maintain, require it to be charged up with various organic compounds and using the backup body should (a) cause a short-term 'hangover' and (b) take some time to 'recharge' with a new body. Also, it would be neat if it were possible that the game could 'encourage' a true "Dead is Dead" playstyle along the lines of : die before you have your clone chamber set up and fully charged/prepped: sorry man Game Over Man. I am contemplating a mod which would feature that functionality and naming it "Game Over Man!" :p

So, while I empathize with YOUR perspective on wishing to have complete control over the app you have a license for, and the files it read and writes on your system (indeed, I FULLY empathize and agree with you on these points: denying an end-user control of their property is NOT the least bit okay), I ALSO empathize with Eleon's intent with their auto-file thing. I just think it isn't very well implemented.

A system I have in mind for a project is to have a couple of different "Save Modes" (which would be a separate issue from "playmodes" or "Difficulty Modes").
    I. Complete Control: all auto-saving and file restrictions are shut off. Player can pause the game and create a save file at any time. Hotkeys for quicksaves are fully functional.
    II. Partial Control: (intended for those who are less engaged with file maintenance). Game auto-saves at set intervals, retaining a total of 3 auto-save addresses, and then overwriting the oldest one with each new one. Player can still pause and save at any time, but cannot over-write the auto-saves or edit them fron in the game (perhaps CAN from the main menu). The interval for auto-saving might be 10 minutes by default and adjustable to anywhere from every 2 to 360 minutes.
    III. Restricted Mode: Player has no capacity to manually save at all and the shortest interval for auto-save is 5 minutes (player can adjust this up 360 as they desire). Intended for those who don't want to literally play "Dead is Dead" but do like to be "punished" and forced to go back to an older save and replay a certain amount of game content if they die.
    IV. Dead is Dead Mode: Save files are obfuscated. They can be deleted, but without substantial effort, cannot be read edited in a hex-editor. Manual saves are not possible. Auto saves occur once every 15 minutes and the same system of over-writing the oldest one is used. However, with an additional caveat: the app will only load the newest file that it sees in a directory (yes, I know, a player could still remove the newer files in order to save scum from an older, less 'forked up' save situation, the intent here is not to create the perfect encryption algorithm, but to create some 'hurdles' that can assist Dead is Dead Neuroses sufferers in nurturing their affliction :D)

5. dziadek

dziadek Ensign

This is a very sane and sensible proposal :)