death mechanic too soft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monkworks, May 15, 2019 at 1:49 PM.

1. Monkworks

Monkworks Ensign

death is a useless mechanic in this game.

Maybe it's just in the start of the game. death really has no teeth and is an alternative to some situations. Were it's easier to just then respawn. with no death effects to deter this behavior,
    it was really obvious when I got my friend to play for the first time. He would just die and let the food and water, air all pill up...nothing negative happens unless your corpse is camped...

So my question to the dev's How is this balanced? there is very little risk for the reward.. I think the game would improve immensely if there was something bad about death?

maybe i am missing something...

2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

What more do you want from it? You die, you drop your inventory for anyone who wants to pick up. This isn’t Dark Souls. If you want death to be miserable, give that a go.

Arrclyde and Germanicus like this.
  3. hound

hound Captain

Maybe in a RELEASED game, that could be a factor. In the bug fest we are playing right now, it would be player anger of unbelievable proportions. Maybe you have never had to "walk" home from orbit? Maybe you have never gotten EVERY single ailment possible from one attack? Maybe you have never hit the green wall and gotten stuck. Maybe you need to have some idea of the back story before you start talking about changing the entire game.

4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

As @hound noted, until the game is in a more finished, less-buggy state, there's not a lot of point in introducing more penalties for death. In any case, there have been a number of threads discussing various implementation of penalties for death; you may wish to do a search on the forums for them.

Arrclyde likes this.
  5. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

There is/was a mod that would wipe your character every time you died.

The API can handle more than that though, so if you wanted a mod for practically any penalty you can... You know what, I already made a list, in a thread, on the steam forums. Seriously, he API can handle a Lot more than most people realize.

Btw, that thread was called Carrots and Sticks.

6. Monkworks

Monkworks Ensign

ok...
    i get the hasle removed while in Alpha. Maybe i sound trollish or something i seem to always get a strange response in this forum.
    So death is not a topic for discussion?

I just think there is something broken with dieing to avoid effects, food all the basic survival stuff...

I am actually not play testing the game i am actually playing it to play it. so having a reasonable death system is not too much to ask for.

there should be some type of cool down at least and yes i have walked home from a bike falling through the world and placing me 13k away from my base that I had to walk to. so i get that .
    but right now this game is just not challenging and can be a bit of a yawn. i love the game so i want more!

make me fear death.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 6:37 PM
  7. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

I wish there was a way to limit the available respawn options, while at the same time I'm glad the spawn near death option is there to cope with bugs.

Sorry about the attitude earlier, I'm just really annoyed that there are a ton of people asking me how to get into modding but then giving up before they make their first mod because modding for this game is really complicated.

Sephrajin likes this.
  8. hound

hound Captain

Oh you just want more frustration for what reason? Exactly why do you need the validation of a PC game to prove that you are "tough"?
    Exactly why is there a reason for you to demand that everyone else that has huge numbers of hours in this game suddenly go to a "e-peen death level"? Perhaps you need to go and look at the history of this game and the attempts to "MAKE IT HARD"----like the foolish temperature mechanic that killed you because there was no way to get warm. Or the orbital death mechanic, that would kill you while you wearing a space suit.

Sephrajin likes this.
  9. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Captain

Try a non-arid starter planet, or any harder Environment to start with.
    You'll get your 'punishment' of not getting your items back.

And within a harsh enviornment, beeing killed by a (or multiple) rocket drone while you just have a pistol, shotgun and a rifle is a drawback, and as you said, then beeing camped by drones, it'll be hard if not impossible to get your guns back. And all your gathered resources.

You joined the Forums like 2 weeks ago, so i assume you have played your first playthough.
    Most likely that was a on an easy starter planet, with air, lots of resources, few to None enemies (Aliens, Zirax, etc) at all.
    Granted, you might get that Impression, but many of us have played for a longer time than you, so, Maybe, just Maybe, we have a Point you didnt experience just yet.

The Server I Play on atm, i started on a planet with no air, with temperatures between 40 to 150°C, with RADs from 16 to 45, with lvl 5 rocket drones defending every ore. (starter planet)
    Lets see if you then still think it's too easy, or that dying hasnt got any 'drawback'.
    Ever tried to fight a drone with bare Hands?

Oh and a side note, you "Play for playing", so do we, we just report Bugs we come along while doing so.

'make me fear death' go Play Dark Souls - or try an 'Iron Man' apporach.
    But that would require discipline, which you probably cant be bothered with. (I cant - well, i only aim for an Iron Man apporach on 'easy' planets, because on harder planets Bugs are just too deadly/annoying.

There is NO real punishment of death in the Forrest either.
    There is no real punishment of death in ANY game (I know of) for that matter, you start with a new Avatar/clone/whatsoever after dying EVERYWHERE.

Oh eventhough i mentioned dark Souls, what ya loose there? Souls?
    But you get to Keep your armor, your weapons.. so.. what punishment is that?
    Next to None, you're not naked after dying, in EGS you are 'naked' (no weapons) - the suit is required to breathe (on planets without air).

Just saying / Food for thought.

10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

So there was either some heavy moderation here, or you had a rant to go on, one post at a time - posts # 5, 6, 7, 8 just sound like a conversation with someone who was removed, or a fractured train of thought. Yes, I have had to walk home from orbit. I've also wound up in orbit following a motorcycle dismount. It's certainly annoying. Yes, I have been plague with an endless barrage of ailments, and even sprouted new ailments as I've treated the ones that were listed - ever use a bandage to treat a broken leg, only to have to use another to treat the Open Wound that shows up after? I've never heard of or seen a green wall, except for the one I built around one of my bases once, made of Alien Steel blocks, so no, but I have gotten stuck in many strange ways, in many strange places. Ever get hit by a slow-moving NPC Transport Ship, and dragged through it in double-slow motion while experiencing the combination of a bad acid trip and a stroke at the same time?

You do seem to be venting a lot of mod-related frustration, which I suspect to be largely unrelated, but I do understand that frustration, but in reverse - I have a number of things I'd love to create for Empyrion, but find the tools and (almost entirely outdated) lack of documentation maddening to no end.

11. Zisi

Zisi Ensign

When you are at your base, particularly at the start of the game, it does seem a bit off to intentionally die to get oxygen and food back. However in other circumstances death is pretty punishing, it can be pretty easy to die in a POI in a place that is very hard to return to if you don't have enough backup weapons. Add to that the bugs... I do think death is punishing enough currently. Instead of adjusting the death mechanic, providing desirable buffs for being "well fed" or longer lasting bonuses for non-basic foods could make it more desirable to use the food system, and therefore less desirable to respawn at half food.

ravien_ff and geostar1024 like this.
  12. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

There is Subnautica on hardcore mode. When you Die you are dead and start completely over in the Aurora getting into your escape pod.

13. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Captain

Basicly, that's the Iron Man Approach ;)

14. Fenris

Fenris Commander

Yeah, we used to call that play style "Dead is dead" on the Elder Scroll and Fallout forums (back when Bethesda was actually a good company). There was no in game mechanic that allowed for Iron Man, so people would just leave a post on what their character achieved and how the character died. Then delete the character and start a new one, complete with back story and sometimes the goals needed to achieve before retirement and a new character.

Personally if I ever play Iron Man/ Dead is dead, I'd never allow in game mechanics to do it for me. Even a game that has few bugs sometimes acts up and you die through no fault of your own. I'd rather just delete the character on my own and start a new one if I ever went with that play style.

15. Zisi

Zisi Ensign

Yeah I remember those days. Back when Bethesda released quality games that didn't crash and supported them with patches long after their release.

Oh wait... that was never the case and Bethesda was always a terrible company that released bug ridden games that barely worked, then ignored them after a few patches. Like for real, when has Bethesda ever released something that actually worked well? If anything their most recent games run better than their past ones. Morrowind was a complete trainwreck quality wise. This is a company who made small rocks with thousands of polys and modders came in later to clean it all up. Good game concepts though...

16. Fenris

Fenris Commander

Yeah, they have always been buggy. Even when Daggerfall was shipped out and before people could even start it up they needed to download a patch. I always use the unofficial patch.

I was thinking more of their business model when I made that comment. Their current one makes me worry about the future of the company, since I do love their games ..... once modders patch them up.

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

So who has released a completely perfect v. 1.0 title? What game hasn't had a bug, glitch, or been compatible with every possible hardware combination?

18. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

Well, since it is not a full release game i would guess that this is only an alpha type of death penalty. Or what do you think cloning stations are for in the future?
    The way i look at it is: after alpha stage the "spawn near death" is going away. When you die, you drop everything you have on you and you have to respawn at one of your cloning station, refit your equipment and go to where ever you died to get your loot and stuff back. Amd if you have none, there mihht be a destict place (like the spot your escape pod crashed) to start again your journey.

19. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Captain

Or that 'one thing' you selected as your 'home spawn' - regardless wether it's on the same playfield - or not.

20. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

There is one thing being consistently forgotten here:

Your Drone.

Being something of an expert when it comes to dying in Empyrion, trust me, I’ve done plenty of it^, your personal drone is marvelous for retrieving your stuff. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve turned a corner only to find myself face-to-face with an RPG Zirax all To glad to blow both of us up, or snuck up on an aw-crap-that’s-an-Armor-Golem with dire consequences.

Drone to the rescue. A quick Take All, and it doesn’t matter if they smash my drone after that, I’m putting all my stuff back where it goes.

I will say though, Miserable Death Mode should be an option. Not everyone want to have to be born, go to school, join the space program and get shipwrecked all over again when they die.