Deco not spawning in planet creation

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Jawatraders, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

I recently started getting into creating planets again, and I've been using EPD and EPG. I wanted to create a forest world, so I got right to work. When it was time to spawn in the deco plants (trees etc.), they would not show up in game. Only the grass showed up at all.

I have tried changing the frequency and the types of plants or anything else that I could possibly think of. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

2. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Hi,

would be helpful, if you sent me the playfield file (PM) or upload it here as txt file. Then i can check, what's wrong with it.

/jmc

3. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

Here is the text file for the playfield. I haven't finished all the tweaking on the planet, but everything that should be there is within the file. Thanks for helping me!

(On a side note: do you know how to add a preview pic on the game selection screen for the planet? I've been trying that as well but have had no success)

Attached Files:

4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

So here's what was happening:

Check out the uploaded fixed playfield.txt.

First thing, Do you have your own created terrain named forest? Because that's what was set up under terrain. I didn't have this, so i changed it to 'temperate' (Akua).
    If not, only set up terrains listed in the drop down, otherwise the game can't find any terrain and will crash.

1. You need to specify some BiomeClusters:
    You have to define areas the trees and deco can spawn in. You just added one BiomeCluster with altitude and slope both set to 0-255 and placed your deco right in there.
    What you should do (as shown in the playfield.txt):
    Add some limited area (Biome Cluster) with the 'Cluster Sizre' and 'Number of Clusters' options:
    e.g. ClusterSize=50 and Number of Clusters=100
    In here you define all the deco and grass for that height/slope range. You can have multiple with different deco and grass, of course.

In the Biome list AFTER those cluster areas you just defined, you should add a so called dummy biome, that covers all previously set up height ranges and a slope from 0-180 (or 0-255, although this doesn't make any difference with slopes).
    Excactly as you have set it up in your file with height and slope ranges set to 0-255. But here you define only RealRock1 as deco with a density of 0 as deco. It's just a so called dummy biome for empyrion.

2. The Values for deco were way to high:
    Deco works differently from grass. The values for density should go from 0.01 to maybe 2-10 max. depending on you biome cluster size. Too much deco can cause empyrion not to spawn any deco at all.

Best way to experiment would be to use EPD's Reload feature.
    - Start empyrion with the empyrion.exe in the game's folder. NOT via Steam!!!.
    - Start a new game with the basic set up playfield.
    - Fire up EPD and load the playfield directly from the savegame path,
    e.g. "Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games\NewGame_178\Templates\_Test\playfield.yaml"
    change something and hit 'Ctrl-S' and immediately 'Ctrl-R' and your playfield gets automatically reloaded in Empyrion.

That way you can change/test very fast, if your settings look right.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

PS.: regarding dummy biomes and creature spawning you can check out this post:
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/tool-empyrion-playfield-designer-v1-34-3.9789/page-13#post-123342

/jmc

Attached Files:

5. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

just put a .png image named 'preview_empty.png' into the playfield folder
    e.g.: "Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Playfields\_Test\preview_empty.png"

/jmc

6. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

Thank you so much for the help. I honestly had to clue about the 'dummy biomes'. Also thanks for the tip about the preview picture.

jmcburn likes this.