Fixed Dedicated server POI issue [06194]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Tarc Novar, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Mode: (Survival)
    Mode: (Dedicated Server)

SERVER NAME: (If the issue happened on a public server, please add the name here)
    SEED-ID: (11345)

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: (Always)
    Severity: (Major)

Type: (Global / Enemy POI issue)

Summary: (Dedicated server POI issue and drone issue.)

Description: (Enemy POI turrets and spawn pads do not function using Default Multiplayer. Also, no drones are on either starter planet.)

Steps to Reproduce: (Load the Default Multiplayer mode and play it.)

When I load a dedicated server using the Default Multiplayer mode, the turrets and NPC spawn pads do not function. Turrets do not track me, they act as if I do not exist. Additionally, drones do not spawn. After placing a turret on my base, the drones never attack, despite getting the notice that they are on the way.

I stumbled across the solution when I changed game modes and realized everything was working. When using the Default Akua-Omicron mode, these issues are not present. POI's act like they should, as do the NPC spawn pads. Also, drones spawn and attack like normal.

In my attempts to trace the root cause, I tested using the vanilla server. No modified config.ecf. I just added the adminconfig.yaml file so I could get to a POI to test.

Don't know what the issue is, but this is the pattern I have been able to deduce.

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Is this happening for ALL POI or maybe only for some that have white nametags? Please have a closer look, as those POI are "neutral" and will not attack, nor will NPC spawn.

3. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

No, this is happening for POI's with an unfriendly or hostile faction, namely Zirax.

I tested again this morning and learned some new things.

The current game I started about two days ago is now having the same issue. That is, with the Zirax faction unfriendly or hostile, I went into their territory to a drone base, and waited near some turrets. The turrets never fired. Even after altering the faction level to hostile, the turrets still will not fire, nor were there any drones present.

This made me wonder about the save game itself. So, I made a copy, and then deleted the game save folder.

C:\Google Drive\server\empyrion\Saves\Games\Voices in the Dark (deleted the bottom-most folder, left everything else intact).

I started a new game and used the following admin commands: GM & map. With the whole map revealed and me being invincible, I proceeded to the nearest drone base. There were drones present, then the turrets, soldiers, and drones fired fired at me. Using the faction command, I altered the faction levels for the human faction I created. That is, I made the faction level honored. The turrets, drones, and soldiers immediately stopped firing. When I changed the faction levels to hostile, the turrets, drones, and soldiers immediately responded again by firing at me.

Is that what you needed?

4. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Hello, we have this same bug on our server.

Drones are not attacking, and turrets aren't firing at us. We noticed it on the moon, but based on the OP's message, I went to our drone base, and had the same issue: no turrets attacking, nor are the drones coming to the base. The minigun drones did shoot at me, so I shot them back, but there is a rocket drone that came right up to my face and smiled at me, and never fired a shot. I didn't kill that one, so it's still in the save file.

I can provide a savegame of the server with me in an SV at the drone base location (with the rocket drone somewhere in the vicinity to check), but would prefer to PM it, since it is a server (just let me know who to send it to).

Note: the server game started in an older game version, but I haven't seen any patches since then that looked like they would completely break the game, so we haven't restarted.

Side note, unreleated: when I undocked my SV from our CV to fly out for this test, I had horrible power issues I hadn't had when I built or flew it before (running at 150% power just flying across the planet). When I landed on the ground and went to re-adjust where it was, the power clicked back to where it should be. I can log another ticket for that, if you need me to. Not sure if it's reproduceable, though.

5. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Now I am seeing the same issue arbitrarily happen on the Akua-Omicron mode, too. I wish I could track the root cause, because if it is something I am unknowingly doing, I need to know so I can fix it. I keep trying again and again, but I still am unable to learn the source of the issue.

6. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Following up: I still have the save file where it happened for us; but I didn't see if there was someone I should send the link to? We still have the issue, and I'm happy to provide any info I can that might help...

7. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Please make your own thread on this.

8. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I was under the impression if we have the same issue, and can provide additional information on the same error, we were to use the same thread, so the devs have all the information in the same place, and can communicate to everyone having the same error in one place (they have merged threads on the same topics). The error I'm getting is exactly what you described: turrets not firing, drones (except for the minigun) not firing, no drone attacks.

9. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

My apologies, many forums usually like separate threads. I didn't realize they wanted the info in the same thread here.

Pach likes this.
  10. MouseEatsFace

MouseEatsFace Ensign

We've been having the same issues on DeadFishGamings servers. I've noticed that if you charge a POI right after a new Save game/server is made then the POI's will properly function, but they stop functioning very shortly after.

The faction/players are hostile. We left faction to see if that fixed it; deleted to regenerate playfield; checked pve vs pvp playfields; checked template, scenario, and playfield yaml to ensure POIs were assigned factions; And started a new save.

Now here comes the interesting part-- After that we went to the Beta section on Steam and went to Alpha 8 game version, deleted the boot.config folder (to clear errors), verified game cache, and downloaded the Alpha 8 server. Everything worked... That is, for 20 hours it worked but then the same bug with the POI's started again.

Below are the logs and save files for all worlds as it was reproduced.

"Alpha 9.5.0"; Log Files
    ;; World 1-CustomScenario ;; World 2-DefaultMPScenario

"Alpha 8.7.1"; Log Files
    ;; World3Server2-DefaultMP

I've seen this issue on a lot of sites with no fix to the problem in exception to one person who has claimed to fix the issue by manually cracking the game open, fixing some POI scripts with python, and then recompiling [not sure how true it is, I didn't do it]. Please fix this problem. I just bought multiple copies of the game for friends and feel like I wasted my money on what used to be a truly amazing game.

--Edit--
    Addt'l troubleshooting attempted tonight: Ran the server on a Win7 machine with AMD CPU and a Win10 machine with Intel CPU (both with up to date drivers and good specs). Used regenerate command on POI's (failed to fix bug), deleted POI's then booted to fresh spawns (failed), changed POIs faction to a neutral one then back to native faction (failed), reinstalled both game and server files (failed).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

I'm glad this isn't just an isolated issue, because it has been plaguing me for a long time. Single Player works properly, if that helps any. Thing is, I don't want to play Single Player, I want to use the dedicated server like I have been using since 2017. Everything was just the way I wanted it, then this issue arrives.

MouseEatsFace likes this.
  12. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

@Pach u can pm me the save
    @Tarc Novar if u have a save please upload or pm

13. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

To be honest, I had deleted the saves in order to try again and pinpoint the issue. Now, in a new save, the POI turrets, spawn pads, and drones are responding like they should. I don't get why, but I will keep a watch on it. If and when it happens again, I will send you the save immediately.

14. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Got it. Issue occurred again. I also have a screenshot of the EAH and an error it gave me. Maybe this is related somehow?

PM'ing the files.

15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

@both ty for the save ill log it

Pach likes this.
  16. MouseEatsFace

MouseEatsFace Ensign

Alright so... @Taelyn , I know that you said it can't possibly be the AdminHelper program and perhaps you're right. Maybe this working is just coincidence but I reinstalled the server again and this time avoided opening the AdminHelper. It's been running through the weekend without issues. The reason that I thought to try this was the AdminHelper program was giving me errors and having a lot of commands not work on the other servers. Again- Maybe it's unrelated, maybe it was a symptom of whatever the real issue is, or maybe the program is attempting to alter configuration files in a way that is corrupting things?
    I'm curious to know if @Pach or if @Tarc Novar was using the AdminHelper and had similar experiences?
    [[Sorry if this is a false lead on the issue at hand]]

17. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

It is possible. At one point I considered if it might be the EAH causing an issue, but I didn't have enough information to form any ideas on it. I very much like the EAH, because it simplifies running a server far more than before. I will do some testing tonight to see if anything changes.

18. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

We found an isse, not EAH related. Isnt fixed yet. Will be fixed for A10

ravien_ff and MouseEatsFace like this.
  19. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Oh? What sort of issue? I'm quite interested in knowing what it is.

20. MouseEatsFace

MouseEatsFace Ensign

Is it something that we can fix temporarily on our end that way we don't get the bug while waiting for A10? It hasn't hit the server yet but it makes the game sort of unplayable every time that it does.