Defeated Capital just vanished

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmaugBR, Jul 27, 2020.

1. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Hello guys,

Yesterday a friend and me defeated a Zirax CV in space. We destroyed its turrets and engines. The ship stopped. As we prepared to board it and loot everything inside, the ship vanished. It was just a matter of seconds (like, 30 to 60 seconds) before it despawned, taking all the hard-gained loot with it. It also happened before when we defeated a CV which was patrolling an arid planet surface.

Has this ever happened to you? Do you know if there is any server setup, option, config file, etc, I should alter to avoid this? My goal is that no ship despawn. If we destroy it, I wish to have the wreckage there forever, so we can loot it and let it sit there as a token of our history.

If there is no such answer, I'll report it as a bug.

Thanks.

dichebach likes this.
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think they should simply explode, throwing huge pieces of junk around and damaging nearby ships and killing unprotected players...

Edit : when an enemy ship is "disabled" or can't fight back anymore (just for PvE) I would trigger lots of small explosions all over the structure to show it's going to blow up anytime, to allow retreat to safe distance, then I would de-spawn it with a huge explosion.

Right now it's just confusing and not spectacular.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    dichebach and stanley bourdon like this.
  3. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I do not like that option but it is much better than the current situation.

If I spend the time and resources to defeat an enemy I should be able to loot the corpse, even if the corps had self destruct charges and blew itself to pieces I should get to salvage the pieces.

Deadalready and dichebach like this.
  4. The Salty Snake Chef

One of the best things to do in Empyrion was to attack and loot enemy CVs in space. Now we can only do that for the OPVs...Makes it not worth it to attack a CV from an enemy faction.

dichebach likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I edited. If we can't loot, then at least let's get a show for the victory...

stanley bourdon likes this.
  6. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Yeah, even though I'm no chicken little the fact that this STILL functions this way today in July 2020 when people have been complaining about it since before any of you were even born . . . not good. NOT GOOD AT ALL . . .

I can remember the first time I took on one of those Planetary Ships way back in like 1917.

The first INCREDIBLY maddening thing I realized is: it was ghostware. I tried to board it by jumping my hovercraft up in the sky or something . . . just passed right through it and wound up with a pretty bad sprain.

Then I spent hours designing the ultimate PS killer SV . . . spent probably 30 minutes blasting it out of the sky, landed, disembarked, ran over to it to loot stuff *Poof* . . .

Then I came on here and ranted about it and I think someone said something about having a core handy to immediately take control of it. I cannot recall if that actually worked or not . . .

So . . . I just resolved to totally ignore all the Zirax "space craft" (not drones, or transports but everything else) and evade them. Why bother fighting them if they just vaporize within seconds of defeating them? In fact, the fact that all the drops in this game despawns so rapidly (one of those examples where designing for PVP is likely giving PVE experience the old big time FOOK EWE) is pretty damned irritating. . . .

Kassonnade and stanley bourdon like this.
  7. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Up. Couldn't have said better.

If we can't loot, at least justify the vanishing with an honest explosion... but to be fully honest to players, if we kill, we want to loot.

Deadalready, Spoon, dichebach and 2 others like this.
  8. The Salty Snake Chef

Eh...At least I can still have that "oh shit" moment from OPVs just hanging around their CV Landing Pad.

9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

OPV? "Overpowered Planetary Vessel?" I'm not clear what you're talking about. In your previous post you said something about "being able to loot CVs" but was that ever actually a thing?

10. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Your post made me laugh, because I can completely relate to it (specially regarding dates - 1917 LOL - and having faced it for a long time too).

But seriously now, I don't believe this spare core strategy will work, since my server is configured to NEVER despawn something without a core... and we didn't destroy ship's core in both cases I posted about. We just destroyed it's turrets and thrusters. It seems the ship vanishes when thrusters are gone, because it kept flying without it's turrets.

11. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Yeup. One thing these devs apparently didn't quite comprehend at any point, or else they programmed their way into a corner: if you put it in the game, players are going to want to kill it, tear it apart, and "eat it." It is the DEPTH of poor design to include something in the game that is just basically a ghost . . . in my recent enthusiasm about the the updates and coming back to the game after so long away, I had totally forgotten about this stuff.

Very disappointing to hear it still has not been fixed . . .

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Hahaha ! Same happened to me, in the old Omicron/ Akua starts... I was in mid sky, the thing was just hanging there with no power. I thought that made no sense, it should fall at least. Then jumped aboard and fell through the illusion all the way to broken limbs in the desert...

stanley bourdon and dichebach like this.
  13. sulferon

sulferon Lieutenant

I was lucky enough to loot an Zirax CV. However, this was not a question of superior power, or anything like that. I had an SV, Tier 3 with shields, and so fast that I just spun around the enemy ship, shooting it down. Until finally, trying to "cut his head off", I got into the compartment with the core. It stopped instantly, almost without damage, and I had only to plunder it. Although I didn't really have any hope of defeating it - I wouldn't have been able to shoot down the turrets, nor would I have been able to shut down the engines.

dichebach likes this.
  14. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

The "arid planet" episode which happened to us was in Omicron too. Yep, we are also that old in the game... and I reported it that time. Too sad and disappointing things like these are making their way towards an undeserved end of early access.

dichebach and Kassonnade like this.
  15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe we can loot it by modding the multitool so we can zap half the ship in one sweep...

16. dichebach

dichebach Captain

So one CAN in fact loot it by managing to smack a core in there fast enough?

That is SO LAME that it vaporizes so fast . . . really, REALLY stupid design . . .

17. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

18. sulferon

sulferon Lieutenant

Obviously, just killing its core is enough. that's it. Without the core, it's just a pile of scrap metal for disassembly.

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

sulferon and dichebach like this.
  20. The Salty Snake Chef

OPV = Orbital Patrol Vessel (aka planet CVs)
    Before Alpha 12.3 you could scrap a Space CV for it's base materials and blocks. For now I'm probably just going to attack the freighters and space mollusks for now. I would like to at least get something and with Project Eden the Syndicate freighters are usually worthwhile to attack as they tend to give you CV ammo which you can break down for base materials.

dichebach likes this.