Dichebach's General Feedback

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by dichebach, Jun 1, 2019.

1. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Having been away from the game since about 8.# something, and fired it up for a few hours yesterday (and a few more today) I wanted to offer my observations.
    1. It is addictive again (not crack cocaine addictive but chocolate ice cream addictive). That says A LOT given I have played the game perhaps as much as 1500 hours (no way to know because I played with Steam in Offline mode for many years). It says that: the new strategic puzzle part of the early game is sufficiently engaging along with the fast-reaction FPS parts and the pack-rat logistics / organization / planning parts that I'll probably be able to keep enough momentum to make it to a Moon or perhaps even another star system.
    2. With my preferred settings: Large planet (preferably with < 1.0g) Hard, High, High on the combat, drones, base attacks; Slow, and Slow on character progression and wear and tear, pretty much everything else normal, it is sufficiently challenging (have died / restarted about 3 times mainly because I underestimated how hard "hard" means on combat and/or I did not process how new game dynamics works fast enough, e.g, I drove my bike RIGHT into a Zirax zone on the map, jump a hill landed in a troop of Mechanoids, game over man).
    3. Look and feel are fantastic, UI is as good as it ever was, even a bit better, Love the volume/mass constraints (they are exceedingly generous at present and hopefully you will eventually incorporate easy Option pane settings to impose harshly realistic settings that force players to use machinery to move around heavy bulky stuff even earlier and more often).
    4. The relationship and dynamics between resources-decay-natural distributions-harvest rates etc. (at least for early game) seem to be well dialed. Not excruciatingly grindy, not ridiculously obscure and complex, not preposterously risky (even with my settings) but sufficiently challenging to be engaging.

Now for the "downsides" or the "neglected" elements:
    A. The motorbike is still a dog. It is loud (way too loud relative to other files, and the chainsaw too). No gears, no brake, ridiculous turning circle, no alternate camera modes. I realize it has never needed to be a priority, but it deserves to be revisited sometime.
    B. Critters have a surprisingly large "range" with their melee attacks. That is what it is, and it probably doesn't need to be changed, but it took me by surprise when a Triceratops trampled me while I was moving away from him and at the moment I seemed to be 2 or 3 meters away from him. I think it might have to do with the anims. I am the type of commentator to suggest that any effort spent on things like textures, models or anims MUST be matched with 10x as much effort on the logic behind computer opponents, text or story line content, and game play dynamics, so I cannot believe I'm saying this but: maybe the combat anims could deserve a look at some point :oops:

That is about all I can say at this point, given I have yet to progress to the point of placing a base block. Carry on! :p

Assuming this sub-board remains active for some time, i.e., the game does not progress to version 11 or something too rapidly. I will continue to put any new observations I make here in this thread.

Gromit, Supay, ravien_ff and 3 others like this.
  2. dichebach

dichebach Captain

One thing that occurs to me that I wanted to comment on that is very very bad: lack of sorting, filtering, and templating functionality in UIs.

I should be able to set my devices (as well as my various inventories) to auto-configure how I like: specify what types of items are allowed to land in which slot, how many should be retained (never used up/removed), etc.. Filters to only show certain items, sorts of various types. I have made at least one long-winded post about this long ago, and I'm not going to do it again. I'll just say: without this type of functionality throughout your UI your games use-ability is dramatically impaired. That means people are more likely to either dislike it from early in their experience, else to get sick of it sooner, and even if they love it to burn out sooner. Given how much time users spend manipulating inventories and inter-inventory panes this is a really, really gaping hole in the game design.

The old "Not Enough Items" mod for Minecraft (it was part of the Tekkit Lite mod pack, which requires an older version of the game I think . . .I still have it installed, but not sure how available it is) was an excellent example of this. There is a config file that allows the user to define types, as they relate to every item in the game and then to impose sorting rules on the players inventory using those types. A player can set up as many as 10 or so alternate configurations for their inventory. Relating this to EGS: one might want one configuration of Invntory+Hotbar for exploring early game; another one for mining; another for device operating/materials processing; another for PoI assaults; etc.

3. dichebach

dichebach Captain

One other thing: I have twice now had game crashes. I sent a report with attached log after the first one and received a confirmation email. I just had the second crash which seems to be of the same sort and I sent the updated log file as a reply to the reply (before I noticed the top line instruction saying not to do that). The crash was unusual because it didn't only crash to desktop, it crashed to Windows login (I think . . . it MIGHT have actually crashed the whole system and I unwittingly rebooted it). My Monitor went black and the monitor started telling me it was getting no signal on the HDMI and to check if the device was activated. I dont' recall exactly what user inputs I made the first time, but the next time I know I'm at my User account login screen. The second time the same thing happened: crash resulted in "No signal" from the HDMI.

My hunch would be: drivers for RTX 2080 Ti not liking something about how Unity handles rendering?

If it crashes one more time I'm going to have to just stop playing and might even just uninstall so I'm not tempted. Would be a shame, since, like I say: it IS addictive and I'm very impressed with where the game has come to and is going! But I'm not going to subject my rig to incessant ungraceful shut-downs.

4. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

I'm no expert, but I would doubt that; I have an RTX 2070, latest NVidia drivers and never had a crash anything like the one you describe. Sounds more like a hardware fault (overheating, maybe?)

5. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Hmm, that could be. Based on ZERO crashes with graphics turned low that would seem to corroborate. I had to replace my watercooler recently, not to mention it is about a month old VGA . . .maybe something is out of whack . . . *sigh* guess I gotta load up AIDA or whatever that app is to stress test it again.

Germanicus likes this.
  6. dichebach

dichebach Captain

So what is the deal with solar power in this latest version? For a base. I've got 15 smalls on a base with nothing in it but: fridge, core, wireless, 1 cargo, 1 small constructor, 1 clone chamber. No lights, no grow lights. 1 capacitor. It barely generates enough to keep things running throughout the day. Game has changed so much, most tutorials and guides are questionable (e.g., I see the UI has changed and there is no "battery" pane in the Statistics window, but battery has a single line over to the left . . .)

Had them pointing East West sloped = 1 green and 1 yellow dot. Moved them all pointing North sloped = 1 green and 1 yellow dot. I'm guessing it must just be that I'm in a swamp?

Gromit likes this.
  7. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

I am placing them just flat most of the time. Its very rare to have them not at 4/4... but it depends on where your base is built: Solar power is weak at the equatorial area and not worth the effort elsewhere.
    That is, if you dont go into the config file and do some twaking... a better efficiency is good, but quite unrealistic. But i dont see any reason not to allow hundreds of solar panels per base - if you can spare the space and ressources and are confident to be able to pamper them in a base attack.

dichebach likes this.
  8. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

in my experiences you have longer days in the northern hemisphere, so that seems to help with , my solor… but it does need to be buffed

dichebach likes this.
  9. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

I tried once to utilize this; i dont remember the facts exactly, but i never tried again. Maybe, the computing of solar power was not in sync with the light yielding too less sun hours, or else. As said, i cannot remember exactly.

dichebach likes this.
  10. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Yes, the artificial item limits are excruciatingly ham-fisted bad game-design . . . As long as it is understood and they are working toward incorporating the CPU-based constraint system, I got no problem with it at present and I turned it on in order to experience as it presently stands.

Other things that are absolutely ridiculously bad:
    1. Weapons that will fire in space but not in atmosphere.
    2. Placeable items that just *poof* disappear into oblivion when you zap the landscape they are sitting on

With that said, having now placed a base, done the Talon missions up to honored status and made it to about Level 9 (slow progression), used the blueprints a bit (designed a base, HV and SV in creative), and experienced at least the early game dimensions of this latest build: my overall assessment: VERY GOOD verging on EXCELLENT.
    I have always had a positive view of the game, and I believe what I said about their design approach years ago was it was "textbook good practice for an Indie dev." That has been somewhat moderated by their imposition of artificial game mechanics like item counts and the persistence of certain technical glitches (seeing through collidable surfaces in certain special circumstances . . . which I have seen again . . . but I cannot locate the screen shot . . .it was a pet Triceratops of the Talon sticking its head through my door . . . I used the alternate screen cap hot key that game has and I'm not sure if that creates a file or simply saved it to the clipboard in which case it is gone forever . . .). The other technical glitch of note: quite a bit of "tearing" in the ground surface model, though thankfully error handling deals with it nicely now, so not game breaking so much as just aesthetically unsavory. It seems to happen quite a bit as a result of deformations to the surface resulting from placing and picking up items (tent is particularly bad I think). Without having run the stress test, I cannot say if the game's high-end graphics are well-tuned or if it is something on my end, but crashing frequently on high graphics settings with my rig (assuming it is functioning properly, which it does SEEM to be . . . Witcher 3 for hours on high settings with no problems . . .) is sketchy.

The improved Logistics, modular containers, manufacturing and logistics UI are all fantastic and remarkably smooth functioning! This was an enormous need and it enhances the game tremendously. Honestly I think that the tedium of Inventory handling was the main reason I had burned out on the game after however many hundreds or thousands of hours, so this really was a huge relief to me. The system also seems to be designed in such a way that it will be extensible and moddable and that is a boon!

The new factions, territories, faction missions and related elements seem good. Hopefully the content and mechanic surrounding these are well-exposed in the API or modding SDK (or will be) because in the long run: THIS is where this game can live more-or-less FOREVER.

One of my old favs was Jagged Alliance 2. Published in 1998? (maybe '99). Fantastic game play, though by today's standards visuals are excruciating. Good UI and experience though, even by today's standards, and EXCELLENT narrative and characterization. Some of the finest game design and game play I think in existence. Sadly, as a result of mismanagement by publisher/owner types, i.e., not developer types, SirTech (the developer) went out of business only a few years after that, and the rights for the IP have been contracted out and/or sold (e.g., a German developer did a nice revisit of the game called Jagged Alliance Back in Action which is good, and much improved visuals, but a bit rough in UI and UX). One of the last acts by the developers was to release the source code and that is now available to anyone who wants to get it off of Stack or the Bear's Pit repo. As a result of this, the game has had a phenomenal modding community which persists in creating extensions and elaborations of the game to this day. This is not to say Eleon should release its source code, it shouldn't. But the point is: a good API or modding SDK can achieve most of the benefits which releasing the source code achieves (better in fact, when you consider what a tiny fraction of would-be modders can decipher C# or C++). The long portion of the sales tail cannot possibly suffer when mods are still being released for an application which was published 20+ years ago, eh?

Obviously that is long-term thinking given this game is not yet in gold version, but suffice to say: you guys will be doing YOURSELVES a huge favor by making this game as moddable and extensible as possible with a really good API or SDK, extensive documentation which you commit to updating for at least a couple years and a vision for how to transition those community resources over into effectively full fledged community stewardship. The Minecraft communities are another good example in tihs regard . . . Assuming you do this, the long-term possibilities for this game are astounding, though it is sad that it is based on C#, such a sad little language :p

11. ViralGamer

ViralGamer Ensign

I like where this is going, please give us a list of the sorting factors by which you would sort your inventory. I will start with these:

types (as you mentioned - I am assuming you mean user-defined categories.)
    mass
    volume
    hit-points
    value
    alphabetical
    level

Please add to my list if you think of anything else.

dichebach likes this.
  12. ViralGamer

ViralGamer Ensign

Not sure if this will help, but I was having crashes quite often. I figured out that my video memory was hitting a mark and failing. By simply lowering my resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 1600 x 900, with no other changes, problem solved. Also, I have a new graphics card on the way.

dichebach likes this.
  13. ViralGamer

ViralGamer Ensign

What has consitently worked for me is to look at the map and determine the direction of the equator from where I am and then to set them facing in the direction of the equator and then some towards the east and some the west. So, if the equator is to my south, I place my solar panels facing half to the southeast and half to the southwest. Also, be sure to go into your device manager and turn on your capacitor. If it runs out of power it will auto shut off, but then not come back on line automatically. So, you end up with no stored power from your solar panels.

Pach and dichebach like this.
  14. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

The base block is set with its edges pointing straight to the four compass points, and thats the orientation all subsequent devices have to take. So the panels can look south or east or west, but not southeast or southwest. To achieve this, you have to turn them around 90°, placing them vertically, and it wont be exactly southeast, but 30° east from south. Did you mean this?

dichebach likes this.
  15. ViralGamer

ViralGamer Ensign

Yes, I use the angled panels, turn them on end and stack them 8 high and 7 high. I use the opposing side as a turret platform.

Also, just as an FYI. You can use the setrotation keyword from the console to set any angle on any of the 3 axis.

dichebach likes this.
  16. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Ahhh.. i constantly forget about this. Thanks for reminding.

17. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Couple simple questions:
    1. Do multiple capacitors help?
    2. How much difference do the large panels make versus the small?
    3. If I have a "Fuel" tank in a base (but no generator) and get all power from solar (15 small + 4 capacitors) is it possible that the game somehow takes the left over power and puts "fuel" into the tank? That seems whacky but, I noticed that a fuel tank I had placed had some fuel in it . . . like "14% or something." It is possible I put some bio-fuel in it, but I am not sure. It is also possible the solar panels "put fuel" in it?

I think Eleon needs to incorporate a couple changes:
    1. Make at least one capacitor required for all bases. Capacitors would have the same function as they do on real world Earth: smoothing, tuning, stabilizing, and storing (to a small extent) the current in a system. The number of capacitors needed would depend on the variance between min and max current loads for the base (or something like that). In sufficient capacitors, some stuff might shut down or get damaged under certain conditions.

2. "Battery" block required for all bases. Allows storage of current. More/bigger/better batteries = more power stored and less dissipated. Something like the "extension" blocks would be cool (same for the capacitor).

3. Keep "fuel" and "generator" but clarify their roles: generators "consume" fuel in order to generate current "power." This is why they can "burn" either bio-fuel or promethium, etc. Functionality would stay pretty much how it is, except that user would be given more functionality, and clarity in power regulation.

4. Generators, burn fuel, to feed batteries which feed current into capacitors which then power other devices. Solar skips the Gen + fuel link and goes straight for battery.

5. Batteries could be given additional setting options. Most notably: a pane with every item connected to the base listed that allows a "Turn off" threshold in terms of battery power remaining. Say for example: at 100% feed power to ("turn on") everything. At 90% turn off, the lights (unless they are manually turned on by signals). At 50% turn off everything except growing lights and fridges. At 25% turn off the growing lights. There are lots of other functionalities the batteries could be given but simple power management is the most obvious.

6. Capacitors = easy item limiting mechanism that makes some sense: Want to have 20 Uber Cannons on a base? Hmm, lessee (takes out slide rule) that is gonna cost you 200 T1 capacitors (1 x 1 in size), or 100 T2 (make them about 10x as expensive and 1 x 2 in size) or 10 T3 (make the T3 capacitors INSANELY expensive and maybe about 1 x 2 in size?). Versus something like say Sentry guns? 1 capacitor can handle maybe 10 or 15 of them without any notable degradation in functionality. Not enough capacitors for the amount of junk you are trying to run? Junk's functionality degrades (firing rate, production rate, whatever).

Syncretos likes this.
  18. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

ad 1.: They are just that: capacitors. they store energy, what helps you to pull through periods of bad weather or let you accumulate the energy you need to repair your ship from time to time. They dont help if the power gained is too low in general.
    ad 2.: A huge difference. They have a better efficiency and a higher overall output. And both count towards the same limit of panels per base.
    ad 3.: No, i dont tink this to be whacky. It is a common "power to gas" - approach. But, sadly, the game has not arrived in the 21th century yet ;)
    I think, the control logic inherent in the generator does that already.
    Thats what the capacitors are for.
    I dont see the need for a second device? I would appreciate this functionality, bu why splitting it in batteries and capacitors? Its basically the same thing: it stores electrical energy.
    A main flaw in all that is, that the base (HV, SV, CV) can easily exceed the power capacity provided by generators and capacitors without any penalty. If i understood right, this is about to change, and at this very moment your wish No6 comes true automagically. Then you have to worry about if you did install enough power to feed all that stuff and bells and lights.

19. dichebach

dichebach Captain

A battery is not the same thing as a capacitor though. At least not in real world 21st century Earth. Capacitors store current in an electric field form (and thus have functionalities distinct from batteries); Batteries store energy in chemical form (and thus have functionalities distinct from capacitors). Current technology (on real world Earth) for chemical storage yields higher energy density (energy storage capacity per mass) for batteries than for capacitors. However, capacitors can charge and discharge more rapidly than batteries.

So we have a "capacitor" in the game. Is it a battery, which primarily stores current and secondarily regulates is movement in a system, or is it a capacitor, which primarily regulates its movement in a system and secondarily stores current? Or, are we meant to infer that: based on the 27th century (or whatever it is) level of technology in the game, batteries are no longer in existence, and "capacitors" can now achieve the realworld functionalities of both batteries and capacitors in a single device (high energy density and high power density)? The game is not presently clear on any of these points. Presently the "capacitor" has no pane in the Main/Power window indicating its current level of "power" stored, though there is a "Power" pane which seems to be saying something about power storage. I see in YTs there was recently a "Battery" pane. There is also, at present in the game, a "battery" row in one of the top panes on the far left.

All in all, very unclear . . .

My reason for these suggestions was primarily that: it is NOT clear what a capacitor "does" in the game. Does it "store energy?" Does it translate solar panel "energy" into fuel tank "energy?" Does it work without a fuel tank? Does it store energy like a battery?

Clarity is the number one priority and the game presently is not clear on how this solar stuff works. I really do not care what they do, but if they want the game to be more popular still, they should make what they mean by what is in the game more CLEAR, and in particular where they use terms identical to realworld terms like "capacitor" "fuel" "generator" "tank," etc.

From a "real world" viewpoint (and based on my first semester undergraduate in electrical engineering level of understanding, i.e., VERY low level), a "base" like that presented in the game (or a vehicle for that matter) WOULD have devices (whether separate or integral) that would resemble BOTH batteries and capacitors, as well as likely a fuel storage capacity of some sort and a generator of some sort. Eleon could easily say "in this fictional world, the technology is so advanced that all these functionalities which used to be performed by 4 or 5 different devices (generator, fuel tank, battery, capacitor, etc.) are now performed by only 3," or even by only 1. It is their fictional world, so they can define the laws of nature and technology, but they need to be clear with it, and they need to be consistent if they want the fictional world to be engaging by promoting suspension of disbelief.

20. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

This difference is not fundamental, though. They store enery and give it back in form of electric power.
    No. Energy density of capacitors is much higher than that of batteries ( -> super capacitors). But they are expensive, and the sheer amount of energy stored at a fixed cost is strongly in favour of batteries. btw - there are myriads of battery concepts noadays, and on top of that the fuel cells, each with a distinct field of application. As much as i find this intersting, both to explore and to program, i doubt the game as a whole would profit from dealing with this differences. I would prefer to call anything that gives back electricity as either "capacitor" or "battery".

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Everything altogether.
    Full ack on this. The description of the functionality of devices is very frugal at times. I want to believe this is due to the ever ongoing of game development.

Pach and Germanicus like this.