Dying is to easy with no penalties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SilvRav, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

Got to say this, currently dying is to easy...not as in easy to die but dying as no penalty. I wonder how many people actually carry med packs, pills, injections etc.

currently if you sick of food poising (for example) why rush and try to make a pill. Just die, select respawn at current location, pick up backpack and move on.

Some suggestios
    I suggest that if you die you can only spawn at a med bay (work around though is to just fly around in your CV)
    I suggest natural effects remain with you after you die (or lets call it pass out? and not actually die) So if you get food poisoning you will rather faint and re spawn but still with the food poising.
    POI raiding - you better make sure you stocked as if you die you spawn at medbay

alternative just take backpack away - no more backpack when you die. Enough incentive not to die.

2. michaelhartman89

I would say take some items away from them randomly in their backpack each time.

2 inventory slots each time at random or more, as well as stamina penalties and loss of gained experience since last autosave.

3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

Once I was familiar enough with EGS I started playing "If you die, you die," for the reasons you mention. I agree with you and michaelhartman89 that dying should incur some losses. I also think that it would take some fine tuning in order to be a deterrent without provoking ragequits in the average gamer. Losing some of your inventory on an Akua start would be annoying. Losing it on a non-Akus start could make it too frustrating to play on.

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  4. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

on official Empyrion EU/US servers you can not use personal drone around bases & POIs, so when you die - picking your backpack in most 'combat cases' is quite hard (one of the Drone Bases I visited for first time ever don't have any door at the bottom, and I entered from the top where I parked my SV... I died inside, and could not back in or up to SV... getting back to 'mission' and collecting all my stuff included night running on foot of couple of kilometers back to base, new little SV, daredevil jumping from it flying over Drone base tower to catch main SV and to get to the door on top, etc.

... and I really hate dying in this game

5. GTv

GTv Captain

It's a game. If you want to when you die, you can start a new chr. and play permadeath. Is that challenging enough for you?

6. GTv

GTv Captain

Some people try to not die for the challenge of staying alive. I try to never die in the game and always carry med kits and O2 and antidotes and bandages. Try it, it is a challenge and if dying is too easy for you try staying alive, it's a bit harder.

7. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

There was a gamea while back when the parked SV bug cost me a brand new hand built SV. I played on like any mature gamer would by enabling godmode and killing everything on Akua with a chainsaw.

8. Darkscis

Darkscis Commander

I laughed :)

I'm one of those people who starts fresh when they die. It's just how I play - If you need an actual setting or something to force you to play that style, then you would only get frustrated at perma-death and look for ways to circumvent it like taking copies of your save folder anyway. In a normal setting, yes death does feel too "easy" - especially when people use it to keep fed on harder starts etc. At some point though, the responsibility falls on the player to maintain their own enjoyment. If you feel death is too easy, impose your own punishment and stick to it. There's really no point in making death this horrendously punishing thing that will drive away the more casual player.

9. michaelhartman89

As a casual player, i like using my drone and dont want to be punished. Im not a hard core survival guy, so I enjoy coasting through the early game.

If there are changes to difficulty settings please don't make Empyrion into Rust or Dark Souls. I only get a few hours to play a week and i want to be able to steadily progress without losing everything in one fight.

I understand it is different playing on a server, so its my choice to play there and I'm not going to ask the admin to change difficulty settings.

In my singleplayer game I cruise through on normal and like the current pacing.

If anything is going to change just leave easy and normal the same and introduce a new difficulty for the masochists out there.

10. SkulkLife

SkulkLife Ensign

Depends on where you die. I died by other players and I couldn't go back. I died by multiple monsters and I couldn't respawn there to get my backpack. And I died at POI's where I couldn't go back easily.

Sometimes I die because of random DC, game crash or long loading time. I would use penalty when the game status steps into beta.

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  11. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

It's probably this way currently due to bugs that can cause unfair deaths/loss of equipment. I would imagine that once the game has more bug fixes and polish they will look into making death have bigger penalties. I would have thought being dead would be a pretty big penalty in itself. :p

12. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

Agree, but some people in MP do use it as an exploit for ammo draining or or or... give the admins the setting to change this.

Agree, and therefore i request it to be a setting. In SP its different but in MP the server owners should be able to say what losses a player must suffer.

13. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

geostar1024 likes this.
  14. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

SP: that's up to you. You could be hardcore and start a new game whenever you die. You have the power.
    MP: Depends on the server settings.
    ~ Expanding on MP~
    Do you have any idea how easy it is to wipe a new player off the server completely when they die? Countless rescue missions to some of the early planets on a few servers I've tried out just because some newbie is getting established and a patrol vessel wipes them out or they get marooned on a planet without a survival constructor and can't retrieve their backpack? Some just leave the server if an admin isn't on and some will wait for however long it takes for a community member to load up a rescue boat and get him, give him a starter package if they're so inclined (drill, some ingots, charges, a survival constructor, food, happy trails dude)?

XeroTerragoth and binhthuy71 like this.
  15. Ivellios

Ivellios Commander

If anything, I'd say to add the option for hardcore play, and not force it upon everyone.

Death has no penalties?

Oops, the POI popped your SV, and you died. Everything you were carrying (backpack) is within range of the POI's defenses, and you're probably not going to be able to collect it before it despawns.

The whole concept of the backpack, is a penalty. If there weren't penalties, there'd be no backpack, you'd just respawn with everything. Sure, there are situations that could be considered exploits, like when poisoned, just wait till respawn, but since they took out the drone looting ability, you're more likely to be killed by POI defenses while you try to loot your bag, and head back for cover, than you are to not.

Even when you're able to collect everything from the POI example, there's still a penlaty... the time you lost. The time you spent respawning to get your Survival Constructor because you spawned at night and were immedately beset upon by 5 night raptors, and 4 humanoid insects, so you have to just keep respawning, and trying. You may get an Emergency O2 generator upon respawn, but not a new Survival Constructor. So, if I didn't have a backpack drop when that happened to me, a true game stopper what's the point to keep playing after that? Run around collecting corndogs and eating them, because there's pretty much nothing else you can do. Need constructor for seaweed snacks, need power for O2 generator, for more seaweed.

Yet, despite the few penalties that come with dying, I try not to, because having to get the backpack is a total pain in the $%%, and if it takes less time to remake everything, I 'll do that instead.

You do know the reason someone would just stand around when poisoned... and die.... yet, you want to put them in the exact same position again.... you do know what'll happen right? The exact same thing. They've already belabored with an annoyance that kills, and you just simply want them to suffer from it multiple times. What if they did what you want, but used up all thier antidote pills, don't know the game enough to know what cures (food) poisoning, or even knows what module they need to manufacture antidote pills? Just because you know, and this hypothetical other player completely "ruining" your experience by doing things that don't affect you in any way, doesn't mean the new player knows... nor should they suffer for it either.

Some of your suggestions simply punish new players, simply because you know how to 'game' the game. Instead of punishing other players, if you die, simply select Medbay if you have one, and if not, delete your save. Or simply never play on that server again. "Problem" fixed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

I generally play perma death now. Starting on non-breathable planet is extra hard as you have to find promethium to fuel the emergency CO2 generator. So If I don't find anyway quickly I start to get anxious.

That being said, if I choose to continue playing, there are situations you simply can't recover from like mentioned above. Near a POI, or inside a nightmare-filled corridor in the abandoned mine. Might as well respawn somewhere else and forget about the backpack.

17. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

Agreed. I play perma death and I don't use BPs. Yes, I get killed out fairly often by stupidity or bad luck. That is rarely game breaking after the opening game. Playing this way makes even the smallest decisions important and that has sharpened up my game immensely.
    It isn't for everyone - particularly if you aren't a fan of games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or This War of Mine. It's just another way to play EGS - no more meritorious or better than any other.

18. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

On a side note I was obsessed with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games because I am obsessed wit Chernobyl and Pripyat, still on my to list to visit. But those games are amazing- unforgiving, but so satisfying. I just saw there is a virtual tour of Pripyat for the Rift, but the ratings are not great.

19. GTv

GTv Captain

You should add Hiroshima to the list, very interesting place now.

20. Ivellios

Ivellios Commander

The only reason I stopped playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R... something else caught my attention... as things always do. I wasn't obsessed with Chernobyl, like I was with Hiroshima... maybe it was because less materials available? But yeah, totally piqued my interest.