Dynamic Armour Balancing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Furious Hellfire, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

I know we have boosters for this but as well as having those boosters that give small bonuses we can sacrifice a stat completely for a large increase of another.

With our armour we have 2 tanks, jet pack and o2.

Maybe we can have a slide switch in the armour screen to tradeoff between the 02 tank space and jetpack tank space.

example

I float in space building a CV, i set the slider to max oxygen, the oxygen tank is increased a significant amount for long space walk and the JP thrust tank for planets is now non functional, I will have to fill my oxygen tank up to meet the new capacity.

When I reach o2 planet, I drag the slider to max Jetpack, I now have no oxygen capacity, the oxygen has been purged but significantly increased jet pack time is now available. And if i want to add some oxygen capability, I can still add oxygen boosters !
    Player would lose existing oxygen supply when setting to max jetpack so will need to refill their tank.

There could also be a trade off for radiation protection vs armour capacity.
    And maybe the higher level the armour the more tradeoff options there could be.

Allowing for on the fly armour tweaking via the armours built in software.
    Boosters are added hardware to supplement your armours tweaking software.

Kassonnade and Ambaire like this.
  2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Isn't swapping out boosters the whole point of the system being modular? If you're building stuff in space, then loading up your armor with O2 boosters would seem to be the way to go (as you likely have no need for armor boosters). Once back on the ground, a trip to the armor locker to swap into boosters more appropriate to combat and ground movement would seem reasonable. In the limit of having a lot of suits and boosters available, you can have essentially pre-made loadouts that you can swap into with a click at the armor locker.

That said, I could see an option to tweak performance once the suit has a proper power system (one could ramp up heat removal or increase O2 capacity via compression at the cost of additional power expenditure).

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Did you read ? He's talking about something players can select/ adjust with a slider, while boosters have to be found or bought.

Ambaire likes this.
  4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Non-craftable boosters have always been ridiculous; making boosters craftable would be a better solution than creating another game system that exists just to fix the fact that boosters aren't craftable. Possibly my previous post should have been explicit about that.

5. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

Earlier today I visited a Polaris trading station on the starter planet (maybe a couple hours into the save) and traded a bunch of shotguns, pistols and assault rifles for credits to buy 2 multiboosts and some other stuff. They may not be craftable, but I think Polaris trading is fairly reliable.

I would like a blueprint creation station that accepts x number of an item to let the player craft that item, though.

Also, the OP was specifically talking about a tradeoff between o2 cap and jetpack cap, in addition to whatever existing boost mechanics. The boosters only adjust the consumption rate. They do not add additional capacity.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Right, it doesn't make any sense that we can't build human tech given the very impressive constructor technology that we have available; if a constructor can build a warp drive from raw materials, it should definitely be capable of building any suit booster.

Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

In any case, not even building boosters but just a few "redirect" or "trade-off" systems for what the "vanilla" armor already offers.

Only problem I see is that if this can be done, then we should also be able to save CPU by turning off some devices, but it looks like this is not possible, which points towards hardcoded values that can't be changed during runtime. I know that nothing is impossible, but that seems to be the case presently for a few features.