East / West map transition while hovering over water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoob, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

I wanted to ask if others are having issues with this like I am. Basically, I'm fairly early-game and have an HV that uses the Small Hover Engine - the kind that goes over water just fine normally - along with a mix of Medium and Small Thrusters.

The issue is, when I drive through the map "join" between the East and West end of the map (where it "wraps around" if you like) my HV just drops like a rock. This happens regardless of terrain, but while on regular ground it's an annoyance - HV crashes into the ground, out of control and might roll (vulnerable) - it can usually be recovered quite quickly. If this occurs while hovering over water though, it's a different matter. The HV sinks to just below the surface instantly - literally, it's 3m above the water then it's partially submerged in the blink of an eye - and is a nightmare to recover. It become super slow (<1ms) in all directions while submerged, it will not lift (space bar) yet reports to be at 3m hover height still. I try to boost out of it, and that rarely works. It's a total PITA.

The HV will generally eventually recover, suddenly popping up above the surface once more - equally as blink of an eye as when it sank - but this seems to happen regardless of any control input on my part.

Is there some new knack here? Is there a way to avoid it? Sinking and being immobilised while the local PV approaching is not fun lol. This East / West map transition issue needs sorting as HV's simply plummet when it occurs, totally out of control, and is quite frustrating.

I assume I'm not alone here. I know it's been around for a while, but it seems to have gotten a bit worse over time and it's taking longer and longer to recover from it when over water. I find myself only doing the East / West crossing on land bridges - currently on an Ocean planet made up of lots of islands - but that's not ideal.

Note that this issue seems to be far worse when using the cruise feature (Ctrl + w) to set a speed. If flying manually, just holding w, while the HV still sinks, it can be recovered much more quickly in my testing. Disengaging cruise after the HV has sunk doesn't help. A bit odd really.

Scoob.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021