Editing Playfield templates

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Yuka, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Yuka

Yuka Ensign

I have a playfield.yaml file for a planet that I need to tweak. I understand the process to do this is to edit the playfield.yaml file and then delete the corresponding directory under the Playfields directory in the save game directory.

I'm not sure if I can do this while the server is running and the particular playfield is unloaded without problems. Can someone clarify and confirm that my process to edit the playfield is correct before I go and do something that may cause save file corruption?

EDIT: Updated for correctness and clarity.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Errr, not sure who told you delete vanilla template files, but do *not* delete vanilla template files. It will break every other game outside your scenario. If you are editing this with the dynamic/static configuration (assuming it's a planet), then editing the dynamic part will produce more variable stuff, static will help setup where POIs and stuff should go.

If it's space, then yah, editing the playfield file. Note that none of these should go into /content/templates/, but rather content/scenarios/<your scenario>/playfields. The game will use the scenario version before pulling vanilla version

3. Yuka

Yuka Ensign

To be clear I'm not editing the scenario - I'm talking about the playfields directory in the savegame directory on the server. Got my wires crossed when I wrote Templates. I've corrected the error in my OP.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I don't know if this is viable anymore. Doing so could corrupt your save game's database and cause further issues.

What are you trying to change in the playfield.yaml file? Maybe you can do it without needing to wipe the playfield itself.

5. Yuka

Yuka Ensign

I made a back up, made the changes, wiped the playfield, and was good to go.

I was trying to change a playfield from PvP to PvE.