EGS reminds me of that Scifi book, series, etc.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by SGP Corp, Jun 1, 2020.

1. SGP Corp

SGP Corp Captain

As I play EGS and roam over the mostly wilderness worlds with the occasional POI catching my attention I am frequently reminded of many of the books written by Jack McDevitt. In particular that its not uncommon for his characters to become involved with ancient ruins or abandoned installations found in isolated places. One book, Deepsix, the featured world of the title is exactly like the sort you find in EGS, wilderness with the occasional animals, no obvious signs of civilization except for an old ruined tower found sticking out above a glacier. In another series about a relic hunter named Alex Benedict who ,living in an era 1000s of years after ours, his adventures often feature a scene or two of him exploring lonely POIs on faraway planets in search of objects.

The universes in McDevitt's books often are places where advanced civilization exists in population concentrated systems but the rest of space is very much of a wilderness frontier area with only the occasional artificial structure to be found which is the same sense I get playing EGS in that the planets and systems we are traveling among are in the frontiers while the true cradles of civilization for humanity and the other alien factions are found elsewhere off the stage we are playing on.

Anyone else read his books and get the same EGS vibes that I get. Are there other authors and their books you think share the same EGS-like environ settings.

KRanKO5, Hector G and cmguardia like this.
  2. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

Well ... Jack McDevitt just caught my attention...

Bien... Jack McDevitt acaba de llamar mi atención...

3. Hector G

Hector G Commander

Been awhile since I have read "books" :oops: I'll definitely check it out!

4. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

It is not anything similar but the search for Empyrion is like the search for Earth in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, in its last part.

No es nada similar pero la busqueda de Empyrion es como la busqueda de la Tierra en la serie de Fundación, de Isaac Asimov, en su última parte.