Fixed Enemy CV Invisible Wall Harvest Issue - Cause & Fix [7735]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Movado, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Movado

Movado Lieutenant

There is a glitch where some enemy CV's have an "invisible wall" making it extremely hard & time consuming to harvest the blocks. I have figured out the cause & fix for this glitch.

To recreate the issue, you simply need to kill an enemy CV's Core before all of its thrusters are destroyed. If you target the Core with your own Rocket Launchers, you'll usually accomplish that.

There are two ways I've found to "fix" the issue by a player:
    - Remove all of the thrusters of the defeated CV with a multi-tool. Once the last thruster is removed, the invisible wall goes away.
    - Place your own Core on the defeated ship, go into the P Menu of that defeated CV, and turn off all thrusters remaining. This is much quicker than removing them, and also removes the invisible wall.

The permanent fix I propose is to automatically turn off all thrusters of a ship as soon as it's Core is destroyed. I believe that would be a simple change, and eliminate this issue going forward.

Here is a video showing me defeat a CV & the glitch occurs:

Here is a 2nd video, again killing a CV and the glitch happens. In this video I actually remove all the thrusters & show the issue is fixed afterwards:

For whatever reason, YouTube has not processed 1440 on these videos, only 1080, so the screen is cut off a bit.

I hope that helps!

Aersaud and Pach like this.
  2. Weeks [15thMEU(SOC)]

Weeks [15thMEU(SOC)] Ensign

In my experience, if an NPC ship is still moving (no matter the source of its locomotion) when its core is popped, it'll glitch like this.

Prior to 1.3, when you popped their generators and the power went out, they'd stop dead in space and you could precision-target the core at that point. The CV would act almost like a POI in space at that point, and be completely lootable. Post-1.3, killing the power doesn't kill motion, so they drift, meaning they're invariably bugged when you finally do pop the core. I get that Eleon were fixing the "press Y to stop" exploit, but they've inadvertently made space-salvage/looting an absolute nightmare.

3. Movado

Movado Lieutenant

Of the many ships I’ve killed & tested this on (all Legacy, Zirax, Kriel, some pirate, and some Polaris ships), removing the thrusters works 100% of the time, so the root cause is related to thrusters. This is not a new issue, and not at all related the the new change to “Y” key stop. This existed in A12, and all release versions.

I was previously told this was known, but recently heard they could not recreate the issue. The issue presents itself 100% of the time a ship still retains ANY thrusters after the core is destroyed.

Manually removing them, or turning them off in the P Menu, both will fix it. If you run into it again, do either of those and the ship will be normal again.

4. Aersaud

Aersaud Ensign

I can confirm what Movado said is true. Tested on single player vanilla and on multiplayer online. I even tested this theory on a Rados Patrol Vessel on planet and it held to be true. So disabling thrusters one by one and/or removing them with the multi tool fixes the ghost/container everywhere bug.

5. Movado

Movado Lieutenant

I have tested this in v1.4 exp and can happily confirm this is now fixed!!!

I killed a Kamirat Battlecarrier, Dreadnought, Periat Frigate, Destroyer, and a few transport vessels. All contained thrusters after the kill, and all harvested like normal.

Thank you!!

Germanicus and Pantera like this.
  6. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks for confirming.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Movado

Movado Lieutenant

Official Eleon Default MP Server.

I cleared out 4 Infectors from a Legacy sector today, and one of the Infectors retained the thrusters as "On" after killing & adding a core, causing the invisible wall issue. I have it on video & will work on uploading to YouTube tonight. I did previously discover this Infector in v1.3, and I'm not sure if that matters. Also, it was an orbital patrol vessel, not the freighter type.

Adding a core & turning off the thrusters in the P Menu fixed it, but wanted to let you know I noticed this today. So far, that is the only instance of a ship not having the thrusters off after kill, that I've noticed.