Fixed entire structures missing on entry into game [6527]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by imlarry425, Apr 14, 2019.

1. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Version: 9.7.0 (2313)
    Mode: Survival, Dedicated Server
    Servername: theyrus
    Seed-id: 1041
    Repo: random on playfield enter
    Severity: moderate
    Type: playfield initialization
    Resolution 1920x1080

Both yesterday and today the game initialization hangs during the "Structures" progress step. After a minute or two it appears to timeout and drops me into the game with random entities that are partially present but not instantiated- for example a console "ents" shows that a ShipCV is present but hitting F4 does not show it in the logistics list however the floating green text that names it is sitting on the ground where the CV was last night. Leaving the game and rejoining fixes the problem .. the floating label now six meters above the deck vs. on it so during the first session it existed but had no volume.

Yesterday, not only the ship but the base it was sitting on were not there when I entered the game ... the world is a cold and lonely place when you fall from where the base used to be and it's just you, an autominer, and an ice golem. ;)

Pach likes this.
  2. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

... sounds like a typical new-game start for me (minus the autominer). ;)

imlarry425 likes this.
  3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Have had this happen before - build a base, use a base, log out, log in later to a barren plain - log out and back in and base grows back.

4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Did you notice this behavior at a certain point i time? Maybe related to "after Update v9.xx" ?
    How often does this happen? (Repeatedly or one-time issue?)

5. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

It's happened twice, both since the 9.7 update and both times on the same play field on the initial joinGame. First time a CV disappeared and the second time the same CV and the BA it was sitting on were gone. In both cases the progress hung during structures .. first time at 75% and second time at 100%. Those hangs felt more like a timeout then a waiting for Godot and he showed up late sort of thing.

This seems different from the issue where critical blocks of a vessel appear to be missing for some players in a multiplayer game (attached pic of SV shows that one- enter game and all the guts were missing .. exit/return and they're back) but that also happens on initial join so it may the same problem.

missingBits.png

6. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Follow-up .. more pics of missing bits on entering game- an HV missing the cockpit ..

hvMissingBits.png

.. and an advanced constructor missing one of the component blocks of what appears to be a multi-block model.

constructorPartial.png

The first sort of thing predates 9.7 ... I'd never seen half a constructor before the 9.7 drop.

7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

For me this has happened on only a few occasions, in previous builds and in the current build, just about two weeks ago. Quitting to the menu and logging back in restored everything the way it was.

8. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Happened again today .. hang at "STRUCTURES 50%" for a minute or two then drop into the game with both this base as well as another user built two hangar door base (volcano lair lid) at the top of the mountain behind it. The CV (Elinor's house from The Good Place) along with a couple of SVs are floating where the base used to be. I ran around at that point to check other POIs (all seemed to be there) and when I returned the Slime was gone but the bases had returned.
    missingBaseOnStart.png

9. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

I noticed this is still in the "more info needed" state but not sure what you want me to do at this point since it is an intermittent fault. This is happening in an MP game and as I mentioned it looks like a timeout ... is there anything I can do by way of console commands or logging levels the next time it happens to capture information that would be useful in tracking the problem?

10. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Is there any use case of this at all reproducible on a local dedi server where it can happen atleast sometimes when trying to trigger it ?

11. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@Pantera I didn't have exactly what he described, but I have a dedi server where I logged into an area with a lot of structures, and one of them was missing. It just happened to be one I was going to take a screenshot of, so I noticed it was gone.

I relogged and it showed up.

I run EGS client on the same box that runs the server, so the ping time is under 10ms for me.

If a copy of the server with the large number of structures in one spot would be helpful in troubleshooting, I can pack it up and PM the link to you...? (you will probably cringe at how we abused the game when you see it, though...)

It doesn't happen consistently at all, and relogging fixes it.

12. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

What he said on repo .. it is an intermittent fault. My config has client on my desktop and the server running on a separate machine- ping <10ms.

There are about 6-8 entities (BA (2), CV (2), HV (1), SV (2) within 2km of the place this happened last but I've had it occur on another playfield with only a base and a CV.

If it were a database engine this looks like a deadlock or in a device drivers a MUTEX wait failure. For either of those the process I'm used to following to help track intermittents like this would be setting verbose logging and then triggering a bug check dump to spool out state information the devs have instrumented the next time the issue occurred and sending them the bundle.

If you have some suggestions on how I could try to force a repo I'd be happy to try them.

For me this problem started with the Unity update and based on the release notes it sounds like networking was a concern, especially for MP games .. are there parameters I could tweak to try to force the problem to see if it is a network timeout?

13. I think this is strictly an issue with the DSL mechanic not properly working when entering an area with lots of structures (and other triggers). We see similar issues on HWS all the time, and I know Rex reports it directly to Eleon when it happens.

14. Pantera

• Developer
    Ok sure PM it to me when you have time & I'll see if I can trigger anything with it thanks.

15. Pantera

• Developer
    Is it possible for you to supply a copy of the save game with your character left standing infront of the structure you show in the screenshot ?
    Also to ask how long were you away from the server before you logged back in ?

16. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

NP .. I'll grab a copy and PM you a link. I rolled back to 2307 this morning so not sure if that might be a problem. As you enter game on Gallatrix there's a farm to your right (Waypoint Farm- kudos to jrandall for fat stacks of ration packs factory farming blueprint!) that also disappeared at the same time as the base. There's a planet called Hakalden with a single tru faction base- that and the CV that's currently parked here at the Gallatrix base both disappeared at the same time. In both instances it was first connection of the day so there would have been at least 6-8 hrs since a client was connected.

17. Binidj

Binidj Ensign

Occasionally while loading into a multiplayer game the structure load count will not reach 100%. When the game becomes playable, some or all buildings and vehicles will be wholly or partially missing. The problem can usually be resolved be reloading the game. Also happened (once) when returning to my base from an orbital mining run

18. Binidj

Binidj Ensign

As an illustration of the issue.

1. Logging in to see half my farm
    20190523154455_1.jpg

2. After relog farm completely gone.
    20190523154910_1.jpg

3. Third attempt, farm is loaded.
    20190523155010_1.jpg

It's not that it's not rendering, it's actually not there. If I log out inside a missing structure then I fall to the ground, in the first image I could have walked right up to one of the exposed elements and interacted with it.

ETA: The missing structure on return to the planet is becoming a bit of an issue as my crops are dying in the time it takes me to realise I need to relog. Currently taken to keeping a full set of replacement seedlings on hand so I'm tending to just lose a single crop but it is frustrating.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  19. ZobyTwo

ZobyTwo Ensign

I host a multiplayer game to play with a friend of mine. As of the recent update (2491 build), we can consistently reproduce this issue across all of my savegames, both old and new. Neither structures nor SVs are loaded for him (they are invisible and he can walk through them). They are loaded for me though and I can interact with them just fine.

The weird part is that it worked once (with alpha 10 part IV) and worked before (with alpha 10 part III), until he reconnected because his PC crashed for unrelated reasons. Since then we can reproduce it consistently. We figured that his installation may be the culprit so he reinstalled the game and we cleared these caches in the savegame folders (his and mine) but to no avail.

Restarting and relogging multiple times with and without restarting the dedicated server did not help.

Not sure whether a savegame would be of any use, since all of them seem to be affected, even ones created on the stable branch.

We suspect the network connection because when I start local co-op, I can invite him via steam, but not the other way around. Let me know if you want us to try something else that may be able to pinpoint the source of the issue or narrow down the steps to reconstruct a relyable reproduction (like configuring other ports etc.).

20. miah0357

miah0357 Ensign

Parts of my base are suddenly missing. Windows, fridge, constructor, floor pieces... but nothing around them are damaged as if the base was attacked.

There are just random pieces missing, I left for about 10 minutes to take a POI and came back to it. Single player, survival. Sorry I am at work or I would post the seed it is in.