Feedback Required EXP 1.7 - Player controller: Crouch

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    It's finally here!
    And as you see, the rumors on Twitter that when crouch is aded to the game the end of the world is near are somewhat exaggerated. Although...wasn't there a report the other day about an asteroid that...? :D

From now on your player avatar can go down by pressing and holding the C key (standard assignment).
    Press C twice in succession and you will remain in this mode until you either stand up (press C once) or jump, provided there is enough space above you.

[​IMG]

KRanKO5 and Kassonnade like this.
  2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Question. Is drone spawn position supposed to be lowered as well? My tests show it does not. :( Snif

Lyceq likes this.
  3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Why would it? You essentially pull this thing out of your... well, wherever it is, toss it into the air, it starts flying, switching your camera view and controls to it instead of you. Can't really see that tossing it from a crouch would really impact how high you toss it. We can simply assume you toss it a little harder when tossing it from a crouched position.

What would be FANTASTIC would be the addition of a modifier to movement controls, such as "Hold CTRL" to move yourself while operating a drone. I know, "When would I ever need to do this?"

If you're just starting to venture into space to mine asteroids for materials you can't get on a planet, you might use your drone to venture out of your warm ship full of air to not freeze in the cold void, but you may have to step out for a moment to deploy, then use your drone to push yourself back inside.

Or if you're scouting a POI before just charging in, guns blazing, you might find yourself using the drone to nudge yourself back into a hiding spot while you scout. Being able to hold a modifier key and move would be great.

You might also use your drone to aid in construction or painting of bases and vehicles, especially large ones, and "losing contact" can become highly annoying, so being able to move yourself without having to go push yourself around with your drone to stay in range would also be a major boon.

4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Cause it is supposed to work like this, you know!

upload_2021-12-10_19-20-35.png

stanley bourdon likes this.
  5. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I don't know. I've no idea what I'm looking at, other than obviously a still from a movie I've never seen, with some actor I don't know.

6. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Well the drone now supports holding shift down to move faster. Unless that was always present in 1.6 and earlier and I never thought to try it? The game just doesn't have a slow-walk control concept for fine control. It would be a welcome addition though, as sometimes trying to god-mode under devices to paint beneath them is frustratingly difficult.

ravien_ff likes this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Will there be some special bonuses when crouching, like lower detection from enemy (sight or sound based), a bit less damage when exposed to weapons with bulletspread, etc ?

8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Perfect.Feel free to use your imagination. :)

Try different angles while close enough to the block you want to manipulate.

9. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I imagine I know what this is supposed to be. I'm getting high-tech terrorist suicide bomber with a nuclear payload.

Kassonnade likes this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's an autonomous drone that can be launched from his suit.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I think he is trolling.

Stampy and stanley bourdon like this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well I too have no clue what it could be. I don't watch lots of movies or TV series, and to me it looks like a small jetpack exhaust.

Germanicus likes this.
  13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

By the look of it I would say the Character is from the Marvel Movie Franchise (under the supervision of Mickey Mouse).
    On the other hand .. what is actually shown in the picture doesn't give me a clue either what it is supposed to be.

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Finally ran a POI to test this. It's not a game-changer, but it's definitely welcome. It now gives you the opportunity to crouch up to doors to shoot at sentries, which could otherwise shoot your feet while the door blocks your view. And ducking behind walls or equipment for cover feels strange for this game but becomes natural after a while if you're used to other shooters.

Two feedback issues:
    1) I don't like the double-tap 'C' for perma-crouch. Maybe I'll get used to the cadence, but it took me too long and too many aborted attempts every time I tried to lock my crouch stance. It just pulls you out of the flow of the fight. I would prefer either a second keybind for locking crouch, or a "hold-to-crouch" option you can enable or disable in the settings to choose what you want the crouch key to do.

2) This now screams for tighter hitboxes on deco. Many times I would hide behind a console and try to shoot around it or over it, only to blow out the console and leave myself exposed.

krazzykid2006 and ravien_ff like this.
  15. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

He's not. He honestly has never seen this before and has no idea what it is or what it's from, other a movie of some sort he hasn't seen.
    Would have been much simply to just say "It's [this guy] from [that film]." and moved on from there.

Regardless, now that it's been established this is some sort of drone being launched, I can address this more easily, as a simple matter of device-designed function. Our drones simply do not established communication and control with us until they reach a pre-programming height above ground-level, and ground level doesn't change if you're crouching or standing. At the end of the day, it's such a minor nit to pick, like noting that, when we start to walk, we all take that first step with our right foot, never the left, suggesting that we are all right-handed as well, even though some number of players simply must be left-handed.