Fixed Explosions pass through blocks [7333]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Inappropriate, May 22, 2020.

1. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

Mode: Any
    Mode: Any

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Summary:
    Explosions pass through blocks.

Description: Explosion damage passes through solid walls and damage things on the other side.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Load the attached save game.
    2. Fly around the target CV and note the placement of the ammo box.
    3. Enter the weapons test CV and access the rocket turret.
    4. Fire at the red X.
    5. Move back around to the other side of the target CV. The ammo box should be destroyed.

Me test setup:
    Explosive Test_2020-05-22_10-10-57.jpg
    Explosive Test_2020-05-22_10-11-12.jpg

Attached Files:

2. I don't think this is a bug but is just blast radius working as expected.
    That ammo box only has 25 hit points and you have it what appears to be within 3 blocks of the blast area.

The CV rocket has a blast radius of 4 according to the configs.
    It deals 5400 blast damage, which is then reduced depending on the material hardness, and is then reduced further with each block in until it reaches it's blast radius range.
    That ammo box having 25 hit points never stood a chance. You'll have to move it further away (further to the interior of the ship) or add more layers to the outside.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  3. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

Sure, maybe if the WALL OF COMBAT STEEL that is between the ammo box and the blast were destroyed FIRST.
    No, this is absolutely NOT how explosions work nor is it expected behavior. In fact, I'm almost certain this is not the same behavior as in previous game version.

J'ee and Jacoviz like this.
  4. This is exactly how the blast radius mechanic works, even if the initial block isn't destroyed. There is an AOE (area of effect).

It's simulating a damaging shockwave. Just like in real life the shockwave from a blast can pass through solid objects and cause serious damage to softer things inside.

If it's not intended then it's been broken for a long time now. I've been experiencing this behavior since like A4 or A5 for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
  5. basingleton

basingleton Commander

I think what makes more sense is that the projectile hits the wall, and explodes, the 'blast radius' should only be left/right/down/up, basically, it should not be able to pass thru a solid non-destroyed wall..

I understand there must be a simple calculation where the radius is applied in a sphere from the impact point, but If I was in a blast bunker with a blast door (in real life), and you fire a projectile I should not feel anything if the materials blocking it are not destroyed.. not even a s compression wave because nothing inside the room has physically moved..

unless someone is suggesting that when there is an impact, the structure "shakes", but, that would apply damage to all blocks.. Shock waves only work if the material/building/structure in SOME way can be made to oscillate from the impact vibrations... which is not a mechanic in this game.

so I agree, the box should not have been destroyed unless the projectile first penetrated (destroyed) the blocks.. but the damage *should* be applied outward along the wall to the max radius of the projectile.

We've all seen starwars where they shoot the blast door with blasters.. you hear them, but there is zero impact inside the room except the sound of the blaster on the blast door.. nothing moves.

J'ee likes this.
  6. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

So your saying that a rocket with a blast radius of 20m should do full damage to a block that in not only behind 2m of armor but also has another 2m of air between it and the armor that took the blast?
    That really is not how shockwaves work. If that were the case then bomb shelters would never have been a thing.

Jacoviz and basingleton like this.
  7. basingleton

basingleton Commander

That's what I was saying.. the way the damage is applied (which 'objects' are affected) needs a different set of rules or calculations. Blast should NOT be able to get past a 'blast proof' anything (door, wall, bunker).. Otherwise, people are going to build a thick wall, and then have 3 blocks of pretty flowers before they have anything useful in their base.. what a waste of space/design due to a faulty blast mechanic!

JK79 likes this.
  8. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

I did some thinking and the simplest I could come up with is to apply blast damage in 0.5m steps, starting at the blast origin and working outward. Instead of applying damage directly, SphereCast from the blast origin to each block in the radius and only apply damage if the SphereCast returns the same block.

This would have the added benefit of allowing damage to attenuate as the distance from the blast increases.

9. J'ee

J'ee Lieutenant

I think the OP wants principally to complain that "combat" material has no elasticity to absorb blast damage. I think I would add, that like in the well designed screenshots offered, there is an actual blast dynamic in space. Real-world vacuum absorbs blast compression effects because there is no ambient atmosphere to be compressed; the weapon has to offer its own atmosphere to compress and create a blast wave, like plasma might as it dissipates, or a great deal of TNT which is a gas-based explosive, or some exotic energy wave. Piles and piles of TNT exploding in space would not be very Hollywood-like. Space should thus have a reduced effect on AoE, which may if I may add, add some sanity to the space cannons.

Now of course, once you've breached a ship with atmosphere onboard, well then it's party-time.

If you're mad enough at AoE effects not to play even single-player (like me) until it's fixed or turned off, then you can turn AoE effects off altogether in the ItemsConfig.ecf file yourself with Notepad. Go to the Steam directory and do the following:

NOTEPAD "steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Configuration\ItemsConfig.ecf"
    replace BlastRadius with #BlastRadius
    replace BlastDamage with #BlastDamage

This will remove AoE damage for ALL projectiles, including nerfing your own AoE guns like the plasma cannon. Your "explosive devices" aren't affected, though, which would be controlled in EClassConfig.ecf for their death effects, among other things like player drones exploding in people's faces--everyone's favorite party trick.

Of course, then noting how the developers once upon a time had AoE effects for laser cannons and then removed it and adjusted the direct damage values, you could use their own ratios to likewise buff the direct damage values--and greatly fear direct hits from drones, haha. I did that... it was calculatory fun. And I did get killed by great big plasma cannons which should fry you anyway, horrible bad. It's not a nerf in practice, but it is better game play overall because now structure armor actually works.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  10. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

Shockwaves goes through any matter. And the higher the dense the stronger it transports the shockwaves. That also meeans, than the damge to the ammo box should be higher in atmosphere than it is in space (ecept of course the area got filled with air by you). That is physics and that is the reason why water bombs against uboats even work when they don't (and they are not intended to by design and idea,) hit the uboat directly. Thats also the reason why important parts within uboats are shockwave proofed by damper system.
    funfactI have intel through an engineering friend that modern german uboats have their batteries protected from g-forces over the thirtyfold of standart g.

Kassonnade likes this.
  11. J'ee

J'ee Lieutenant

Not so much.
    https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/can-you-have-a-shock-wave-in-space/
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...itigation_through_matrices_of_solid_obstacles

Now, through water, that's different. Water is dense, unlike space, and fluid, unlike blocks. I would like to see underwater stuff in Empyrion, one day. I think water flowing was an option to vote on in the last major feature wish list. We got shields, instead, which was cool but my first base construction attempt was underwater. I was a little disappointed when it leaked. More to the point of shockwaves, if torpedoes and subs and depth charges and actual depth, and such were a thing in Empyrion, then yes I'm definitely tossing grenades, as soon as we get grenades, into the water to go fishing, as soon as we get fish. Shockwaves eagerly traverse in water, just like sound does.

Sound is a good measurement of how something should mitigate shockwaves, since sound is a shockwave. If you can't hear something through something, like a crystalline medium such as soundproof glass, or the six feet of concrete which is a typical base block, or in space--you can't hear in space--then shockwaves likewise should be at least partially mitigated if not very, very near fully as in the case of hard vacuum. In water, however, well that's different.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  12. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

I am bit confused here now @J'ee
    First you disagree and post two links. Then you grip on my uboat example. Suddenly you go of topic. (Btw i would like proper water too but hey its a space game so that's where the priorities are.)
    And then you have something like a valuable argumentation thats' conclusion is not so different to mine.
    So it could be easy to end the discussion now if i would go with a little compromise now how this AOE damge in space should be handled now.
    But that would not be satisfying for me. Because i disagree on how the game should work.

So first things first.
    Now i don't now about soundproof glas so i got to skip that but concrete transports shockwaves damn well. The reason you cannot hear someone's talking on the other side of a 2m thick walll are the airgaps between the talker and the wall, and betweeen you and the wall. If you would put your ear on the wall and the talker would be a wall knocker you would he the knocking amn well.
    You cannot hear in bare space is a fact (And none of those Trump's alternative facts). But the rocket emmits its own matter. And at the same time is works a bit like a splitting grenade.
    Still till here you would be right, the Ammo box in the shown example should be zero or damn close to zero.
    But what if the rockets have a HESH?

13. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

True enough. However a proper implementation of shockwave propagation isn't exactly something I would trust Eleon to code. As the current AoE damage implementation has severe negative game play implications (completely invalidates armor), it would be much simpler to just hand wave the problem away by saying that all blocks come equipped with magic shockwave absorption tech. At least then there would almost be an excuse for building blocks using CPU.

Depth charges only work because the haul is already under massive amounts of pressure from the water. Any structural damage to a submerge sub and the haul gets crushed by the water pressure. A depth charge would almost certainly not sink a surfaced sub.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  14. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

And most people don't need this level of accuracy in a video game. They just want to blow stuff up. AoE damage works fine for that. :)

Germanicus likes this.
  15. J'ee

J'ee Lieutenant

Okay, I didn't realize how easy it is to actually fix the impact of blast damage in Empyrion's files. I see this was done in Reforged Galaxy, how blast damage is mitigated for certain devices behind the walls due to the space between the wall and whatever else.