Extendable landing gear for HV please

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Samoja, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

I hate how my HV always lands on i's belly, even if it causes no damage, i wish landing gear could be put on HVs and furthermore i wish we could extend the landing gear manually, so we can land our ships properly.

2. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

The reason on why we don't have extendable landing gear for the HV is that they would be constantly dragging on the ground, all the time.

Currently, extendable landing gear always has it's full extended hitbox, even when not extended. This is just how things work currently.
    So, if the landing gear always has it's full hitbox/bounding box, then it constantly drags on the ground and constantly gets hung up on every little thing.

It's unclear if this is something that will ever be changed as well.

TLDR, extending landing gear is just an animation. It's always extended.

3. Samoja

Samoja Lieutenant

Is there no way to resolve this? Perhaps when retracted the landing gear could be counted as some sort of "ghost Block", like air (IDK if this game counts air as block but anyway) just make the block completely non intractable when retracted.

4. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

As I said, that's not how it works currently (as in they would if they could.)
    We don't know if this is something that is planned to ever change or not.

All we have for now is fake moving landing gear. They don't ever move, they just appear to.
    The landing gear always occupies that full area. It changes visually and the player is allowed to enter that area once it's "retracted", but it's very much still there.

Just try placing a block on the bottom of a "retracted" landing gear. The block would be floating down at the bottom of the fully extended location instead of at the retracted spot.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

They can fix this part if they want. The "collider mesh" is correctly not including it, that is why you can walk through it (or walk through open doors, for that matter).

I think the blocking problem is actually how retractable landing gear work - they're automatic and retract when you're near the ground. With a ship, that's fine but with an HV? I think you'd need to make them manually retract via a switch.

I've had problems with a certain HV that had thin walls and docking pads on the bottom. It would not dock, even though the docking pads are clearly thicker than the thin blocks they are next to. Retractable landing gear would have helped very much with that problem.