PLZ Retest and Re-Report Falling through world while attempting to collect resources or mine terrain

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by obsidian29, Feb 25, 2022.

1. obsidian29

obsidian29 Ensign

Build: 3717
    Mode: Single-Player
    Mode: Suvival

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: I'd have to check. If it's necessary, I'll do so after breakfast and update the OP.

Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: I'd say game-breaking

Type: Physics

Summary: Falling through the terrain while attempting to mine a resource rock, or the ground, apparently.

Description:
    Every time I fire on a resource rock with the survival tool in Resource mode, I notice my camera dip suddenly, as if I'm being pushed lower into the ground. Also seems to occur when collecting plant resources with F. If I just keep firing (hold down the button), it shoves me down through the terrain and I commence falling, after a moment I die on a second layer of ground, and then my backpack continues its infinite fall through reality.
    Twice now it has detected my incorrect position and teleported me back up. The second time, this resulted in fall damage and death, but the first actually did save me, so nice job on that, it did its job. Found this in the log file from those two occasions:
    25-21:01:10.758 15_01 -WRN- Entity 'obsidian29' with id=1104, type=Player, pos=(211.6, 38.1, 32.2) is out of the playfield (Planet_BelowTerrain), reposition it to (211.6, 119.7, 32.2)
    The third fall was actually while mining terrain. I had thought it would be safe, it was not dipping me into terrain when I fired on the ground itself (just rocks), and I was mitigating the rock issue by firing once at a time so it snapped me back out of the ground each time instead of dropping me faster than the game corrected my clipping. But then as I was mining into a hillside to collect a copper vein, I plunged again with no obvious explanation this time for why I noclipped through the ground.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Crashland on a planet (in this case temperate), collect initial tools and switch to survival tool's resource mode.
    2) Sustained-fire on a resource rock.
    3) Fall infinitely through space.
    OR
    1) Crashland as mentioned before.
    2) Mine into a hillside.
    3) Apparently, fall infinitely through space.

Now, I was quite frustrated when this happened, but in retrospect it's actually a rather humorous bug. I'd still like to have it playable again. I should note that I'm playing on subpar hardware, but it's all I have available and I don't really think it's the problem, I was playing fine (albeit with freezes related to RAM and VRAM deficiency) before the update, and did not have any clipping issues at all.

I will return to the game and get any info required by the devs by me, but after breakfast. XD

Tristan Dover likes this.
  2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi I don't have this issue nor can I trigger it can you show some video of this ?
    Also can you supply a copy of a save game with your character left standing in a location where this can happen for you ?

How to attach a save game to a report:
    Go to:
    For SP or Co-op:
    Right click on "Empyrion" in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse > Saves > Games
    or: SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games

For MP:
    Right click on "Empyrion - Dedicated Server" in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse > Saves > Games
    or: SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Dedicated Server\Saves\Games
    1. Right click on the save folder & place your mouse cursor over 'Send to' create a compressed copy of it (or use winzip or 7zip)
    2. Drag & drop a copy in your reply box or use the upload a file option on the forum.
    3. If the folder is too large use a file hosting site like mediafire, dropbox or google drive & add a share link to it
    4. If you are sending us the info via an email please add a share link to the file or files you have uploaded

3. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

-AKEVA-BANSHEE- Commander

Tools/weapons seen this happen with. Survival Tool, t2 Pulse rifle & laser minigun. Even had this issue clip me into the floor today. Use the t2 Pulse rifle on full auto while on top of BA/CV railing block group "Grate" with 1 block empty space underneath.

Attached Files:

4. nautilus-avalon

nautilus-avalon Ensign

Hello, I'm on a French server so excuse me if I lack understanding. Recently I noticed a small problem. When exploding players tend to slide into the ground from POIs. After having organized an event on my server I could see that it was becoming more frequent. It remains all the same random to such an extent that it is difficult to predict when and why. I would have made a video but it is still difficult to anticipate the problem. Am I the only one to have noticed this?

5. Pantera

• Developer
    Ok when you load into this save can you reliably trigger it with specific steps ? when I load in I'm stood here:
    1.7.6 Test-220227-1504_2022-03-01_16-57-15.png

I shoot full auto with all full auto weapons, I drill on flat & non flat terrain at deposits & non deposits, I pick harvestable items & mine surface resource rocks & nothing happens.

Germanicus likes this.
  6. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Hmmm odd. I mean I can do a video showing it, but that does not really help. Would log files help? Just let me know what you need me to do. I'll go ahead and attach log files as a pre-emptive response. Both logs for 3717 Version and 3718 version.

Attached Files:

7. Pantera

• Developer
    If you don't mind just a short video would be appreciated as I haven't seen it happen.

The logs won't really show anything that's of use for this.

8. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Okay I will get to recording.

9. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Okay so I was doing recording, but it was not happening again. (this is the first time I have played since the 3718 update) However I did see what was happening. It was the recoil mechanic that was added in 3717. The recoil was pushing me around through blocks and even with the survival tool. I don't know if that helps. But sadly where it was 100% reproduceable yesterday it is not now. I just ended up recording random stuff instead of useful footage and it was not noticeable. I'm going to leave recording software open and keep on the look out for the bug.

10. Pantera

• Developer
    Update:
    We have a potential fix in the works & will have a test build ready at some point very soon.
    I'll update here again when it is ready.

-AKEVA-BANSHEE- likes this.
  11. Tristan Dover

Tristan Dover Ensign

I have this exact same issue, my guy does a little jump immediately after picking plants or firing the survival tool. If the trigger on the tool is held in he will fall through the floor, if you pick or do a single shot you may get lucky and he will do a little jump. This was happening to me yesterday, not tried it today yet.

12. Tristan Dover

Tristan Dover Ensign

I have been on again the game again today and the glitch happened as soon as I picked my first plant. Do you still need a recording of it? If so how do I do that please, and could you write the instructions so an idiot like me can follow them?:):thumpUp:

13. Pantera

• Developer
    Hi there I was wondering does your gameplay look like this ?
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...s-character-movement-00044.99534/#post-449355

what FPS are you getting in game ? press F8 when in game to display a FPS counter in the top right

14. Tristan Dover

Tristan Dover Ensign

Had a little mess around with in-game settings today as, for some reason my fps was way lower than it had been in the past. Anyway I now have my screen resolution set down to 1280 x 720 (16:9) this is giving me 14fps which is way lower than I was getting with a higher resolution before the latest patch but is now playable. I have been on there for about 2o minutes without falling through, I still do a little jump but I can cope with that.

15. Tristan Dover

Tristan Dover Ensign

I think I have resolved the issue for me glitching through the ground. I went on the game earlier and noticed my fps was up at 75 after about 5 minutes in game it dropped to about 40 then a few minutes later down to 12 fps. I came out of the game did some head scratching and googling and as a result checked my GPU temp which was up around 80 degrees C, pretty high when not gaming. Did some more searching and found a video on how to clean and reapply thermal paste. The GPU was properly dusty inside so Im was not surprised it was overheating. Anyway, I have been on the game for 20 minutes fps is stable at 75 and gpu temp was at 80 degrees C when in game. Right now the gpu temp is 35 degrees C.:) Hope this helps some of you.;)

16. Pantera

• Developer
    A fix for the reported issue is available on the experimental branch please opt in to the experimental branch & let us know how it is with this build

https://empyriononline.com/threads/v1-7-8-patch.99596/

Please note as this increases the version to v1.7.8 it is recommended you make a back copy of your save games first before you load in to any of them in case you want to go back to v1.7.7.