Feature request - don't make docked ships disappeared when freighter self-destructed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Casey, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Build: v1.5.3 3390
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME:
    SEED-ID: 59757

If Applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Freighter-Ship Self Destruction

Summary: Feature request - don't make docked ships disappeared when freighter self-destructed

Description: Feature request - don't make docked ships disappeared when freighter self-destructed

Steps to Reproduce: Take SV into space. Disable a freighter. Message comes up indicating 5 minutes to self destruct. Find and destroy the freighter's core. Go back to your SV and dock onto freighter. When freighter disappears, so does the SV.

Some feature requests to make this more "real". When a freighter self-destructs, right now it just vanishes, which makes no sense. Instead use a timer and explosive blocks. Same concept as you've used in bases when a motion sensor or switch triggers an explosion.
    There should always be debris after a ship self destructs. If a docked ship is in the blast radius, it would be damaged, which would make sense.
    I was inside freighter when it disappeared. If you used explosive blocks and a timer, I would have died, which would make more sense.
    Also, there was no count down. It would be nice to have a count down so I knew when to evacuate the ship before it explodes.

2. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

You cannot dock on anything in space which is not a ship you own already,, not on stations, not on other AI ships. If you did dock at the AI freihter it's clearly a bug. Did you hear the docking sound and did you get the dock icon in your hud? If not, you didn't dock.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. You can dock to public structures, which a de-cored structure becomes a public structure until a core is added to it.

The devs essentially have it set to use the destroy command on the CV AI vessels when it "self destructs".
    It may not be exactly that, but that is the basics of what happens.
    Vessels that are docked to a structure that gets deleted by the game are also deleted due to how they essentially become part of that structure while docked.

The devs do it the way they do to reduce clutter in MP games. That is why they don't blow it up with explosives, they want the entire structure deleted (and they are too stubborn to increase the absurdly short deletion timer on them).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2021
  4. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Oh yeah? Thanks for the info, that's interesting, I never noticed...

5. Casey

Casey Lieutenant

Good point - After destroying the core in the freighter, I did place my own core, making the freighter one of my structures, and allowing me to dock. I may have been able to dock without placing my own core, but didn't try it. My plan was to salvage the components whole.

As a suggestion, perhaps the devs could modify this behaviour to have the structure vanish 5 minutes after the last player was within 500m of it. That would keep things clutter free, keep the server from frying out due to too many POIs, and allow the player to loot the freighter which would significantly add to the gameplay.