Feature Survey 2018: Results

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists,

Early December, we started our Feature Survey 2018 and now it is time to reveal the results!

Survey Statistics:
    - We have received more than 11.000 completed surveys in about 2.5 weeks (the last survey in 2016 took more than 2 months for the same amount of replies!)
    - We have received more than 8500 feedback comments with the survey (which we are still evaluating)

Global Gameplay / Group Preferences:
    - The average player has played Empyrion for about 101-250 hours.
    - Most of the multiplayer groups consist of 3 members.
    - The average size of the default multiplayer "group of friends" is between 3 and 5
    - Most players that participated in the survey prefer to play PvE, i.e. fight against the environment (combined single player and PvE players in multiplayer)

Thanks to your overwhelming participation, we now have a very good overview about the features we should prioritize when planning the Alpha 8 and 9 features for early next year.

Please find more stats and graphs below!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you all know, we are monitoring our forums for feedback and we have started to add several major discussion topics in the last weeks - which we will continue on a regular basis.

These feedback threads are especially important since the results of the survey are manifold. So it is very important to make use of the forums and suggestion threads in the next weeks to add more context to these results!

The same applies to our Steam forums and of course the reviews on our Steam Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival
    If you enjoy playing Empyrion, please do not forget to add a Review - thumbs up or down. We will read your feedback and take it serious.

Said that, please enjoy the most recent update Alpha 7.5 and Happy Holidays from all of us at Empyrion Galactic Survival! :)

2. Philipp

Philipp Commander

Happy Holidays to you and thank you for an awesome Empyrion Year 2017!

3. Polnoch

Polnoch Lieutenant

Developers, thank you for your work & have a happy holidays!
    Could you please add an ability to vote against specific features? Becouse while many people may want something, it's possible that even more people dislike this.

4. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Captain

So less than 15% of people voted for Bigger Planets as their first primary feature, good job guys !

5. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

It's funny, because they've already done solar energy and they'll probably never do walking in moving ships. And then building is rated as the most important aspect, but improved building tools was one of the lower features that got voted. I don't really get why so many ppl are obsessed with bigger planets, doesn't really add much to gameplay IMO...I guess ppl like getting lost in space, but I don't think Eleon can push out enough new content to make larger planets or more systems meaningful.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  6. markoredflag

markoredflag Lieutenant

[QUOTE = "Sofianinho, post: 207100, member: 14932"] Então, menos de 15% das pessoas votaram em Big Planets como sua primeira característica principal, bons empregados de trabalho! [/ QUOTE]
    vocênfortunatelt :(

7. Polnoch

Polnoch Lieutenant

Agree. The larger planets is anti-feature for me and for a several of players who I know. I think, we'll see a big and pretty empty planets (still has forbidden poles). Also, WARP drive and docking HV in the SV also antifeature for me, because it broke SV/CV balance and CV's value in the game.

I think, movement in the ship and rich life is more important. Also I hope to see the battles between predators and preys animals, between alien AI factions. And I want to see a better automation: conveyors(looks like Fallout 4 and Space Engineers) and working bots in the game (I want to assign bot for a garden. It's too bored to get a harvest every time by hand, and fix a damage of a ship by hand - I want to see the repair bot in the game, looks like R2D2 - the repair bot should has ability to restore a vessel to original blueprint).
    I think, it's most important features...

8. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Exactly we need multiple biomes, caves, dungeons, underwater caverns and cities. More places to go and more things to do.

I know they are working hard on lore and story based content with the addition of the factions on the Empyrion page. It will be nice when that stuff starts making it into the game.

Besides focusing solely on bigger environments, I would love to see more NPC content, interactions, conversations, misson giving and employment as well. We need the addition of data pads and computer terminals to start adding lore right into the game where you come across it in POI's or talk to an NPC to learn more about the history of these factions.

Another thing to remember is Faction relations and building rapport, but I'm sure these things will be added with an army of writers, scenario designers, builders, modders and our wonderful dev team.

9. demolish50

demolish50 Commander

I'd like to know what those 85% of people do after they have reached end-game state. PvE becomes boring almost overnight. What are these people doing? You can't just keep building forever, the engine will choke. I thought end-game was PvP but apparently not.

Serious question, what am I missing?

10. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Captain

Exploration is the most important aspect, and right now we are exploring a fish tank, people want to explore the ocean ! The planets size will determine most of the other features, it's the foundation of the whole game, you can't have more POI's, bigger structures like cities, caves, dense forests, deep oceans and whatnot in tiny midget planets ! And yes we like getting lost in space, it's precisely Empyrion's pitch.

WolfEyes, Arguro, monktk and 13 others like this.
  11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

The point.

In order to get something we have to ask for it.

In order to ask for something we must first have the need or desire for it.

In order to need or desire something we need to know a bit about it.

Players who know nothing about PvE can't desire its features.

12. Polnoch

Polnoch Lieutenant

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Right beside "alternative energy" there is a small asterisk ( * ) which is detailed at the bottom right of the graph : * = wind + geothermal.

Walking in a moving ship is mostly PvP, because in singleplayer there needs to be a pilot... Although we can have the ship moving forward on inertia (in space) there is barely enough time between destinations to do anything significant while the ship is moving that can't be done by the control panel... unless the playfields get a lot bigger ! Hahaha... And walking on a moving ship might prove network intensive, error prone and does not bring anything more to gameplay, since the control panel allows to do everything important.

Building might not need many more new tools now, but that does not mean that it's not important to Empyrion. But at least it shows that players don't want building to get "worse" or to loose feathers because "not important".

Mountains, rocks and grass also bring nothing more to gameplay, as well as various wild animals (one would suffice for meat), as well as making fancy lakes and rivers shapes and contours bring nothing more than a round hole filled with water, as well as clouds that are useless, as well as stars in the night sky, bare asteroids, deco plants that yield no wood, etc. In fact terrains could be flat and resources could be colored cubes, and playfields could be 100 m boxes with a door to activate travel.

Why make anything more than this box ?

Bigger playfields should cut the PvP complaints by 50%.
    Bigger playfields should stretch exploration duration by a lot (now it lasts three minutes per playfield, a bit more around a planet).
    Bigger playfields would allow more different terrain features, deeper water bodies, more space between POIs... when AI will "appear" in the game, it will impose a whole new layer of "scripts" that are usually heavy on systems ; having a little more space between NPC-packed areas will alleviate this.

Immersion ? Proper travel from one point to the other without being restricted to East-West directions ? (if polar barriers are removed...)

While the game tries hard to slow down progression with fixes, tweaks, material requirements, hunger, leveling mechanics, there is one simple thing to do to extend the time required to progress in a game : put space between the player and his objectives.

There are many games that require the player to run from one part of the map to the other, while leaving the freedom to explore en route. Why did the developers not put all objectives close to each other, in an ordered, linear manner? Why do we have grass and clouds?

14. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

There is no way in hell this game is even half ready to move to Beta. *Facepalm*

For the Topic: I most of all look forward to Real Planets with Real Liquids in Real Size. 2nd Place, death of Weapon Max Count. All else can come after, including but not limited to the future Galaxy that can someday be populated for the first time already having Real Planets with Real Liquid in Real Size to work with. :)

15. michaelhartman89

This game is no where close to going to beta. We still have a ton of features on the horizon that the community wants in place and no working spherical planets, or mid/late game content. I would expect at least a year and a half to 2 years before beta from my point of view judging by the current pace.

That is a conservative guess and I would hope it'd be 2 to 3 to fit everything and the kitchen sink. There are really good ideas out there and this could be the space game to end all space games. By the time we hit beta, let's pray this has monopolized the space game market and kicked Dual Universe, Space Engineers and the other wannabes to the curb.

There is no way in hell we can catch up with Star Citizen on details, lore and story, but from a creative standpoint, I feel we will surpass them all!

There is no need to rush a perfect game, especially when it is playable and fun in it's current state. We still don't have much to keep people around besides die hard fans, so unless you want this to be vapor ware, you better hope and pray this doesn't go to beta any time in the near future.

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I'm laughing because I've have said time and time again a majority of people who play Empryion play single player mode and it's the same as Space Engineers, Starmade and other building games they all have a HUGE Single player community. That is why you can't ignore single player gamers in games like this because they are the ones that will play this game even after the brand new Battlefield game or MMO space sim comes out.
    I just hope the Devs keep this survey in mind the next time a change is made for Multiplayer but affects single player gamers without at least having a open conversation about it. 47% vs 35% MP vs 17% coop? I mean come on. All game modes should get the same attention but I don't think you should ignore your base either.

17. michaelhartman89

There is actually a mod that someone in the community made to walk on ships. Look in the suggestions threads.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/players-walk-on-ships-whilst-it-is-moving-code.32589/

18. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

@Kassonnade is very right in his post - MAIN reason for most new outside players from 'space gamers spectrum' that come to EGS, play a bit and then go away are VERY small planets (with barriers) and this strange mix of one solar system/universe.
    When you look at some other space games forums and internet comments you can see this from people that actually like game - but don't want to play it (another major complain from that type of crowd and it is about not so great/realistic flying model).

Survey results are OK, you can see what you need to see :)

19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

WOW looks like people really want the ability to walk on a moving ship. LOL I do too. To be honest looking at the survey, it's pretty much what I expected. I love the fact that a lot of people in the community wants Exploration, fighting and adventure to be improved because I do believe those are areas where Empyrion is lacking right now. The one thing I didn't expect was Larger planets being more important than more solar systems but oh well. Either way sounds good too me.

20. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Not everyone cares about PVP. There are a lot of games where people stay away from PVP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.