Feature Survey 2018

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe there is no need for a sophisticated map model if they make wise usage of the chunk system, where only the visible segments of the world are loaded. If players are able to see a good portion of the hemisphere they are on when at a significant altitude, meaning many chunks have to be loaded simultaneously, then they have to rely on a proper LOD system to show that part of the terrain without killing fps.

binhthuy71, Sofianinho and eLLe like this.
  2. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

A smi

A smidge over half the features. Again reference:

Even though the "Not" category was not perfect... it still illustrates a hard picture.

Click on the attachments. Not necessarily complaining as much as disappointed. I understand the want of the new survey... Though im not sure it was needed. IMHO I think they missed the message players were trying to send lol. or maybe they dont have the staff? Who knows. My curious mind does yearn for some solid facts however.

Kassonnade likes this.
  3. Cleff

Cleff Captain

I wouldn't say the new survey wasn't needed, just that they could have stuck with only implementing the incomplete features on the old survey. I understand the worry that the new one will interfere with getting the old survey features but many of those made a reappearance. The important part is that IF Eleon doesn't lose sight of the old survey features that were not addressed properly yet, the new survey helps re-orient their development direction since there were quite a few updates that surprised a lot of the community. These were features or changes that nobody really asked for and I distinctly remember some members on here crying out for a new survey before Eleon began to stray too much.

Hopefully that's the main purpose this new survey will serve, to help push Eleon back on track, not to distract from features we have been wanting since last year.

nexus_absolute likes this.
  4. Androniko

Androniko Ensign

Priorities change thou, so this new survey will highlight what the new priorities are.

5. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Chunks work well with ground-based games because you can limit the ingress and egress points on each chunk. Depending on the scene, chunks can give the impression of grand vistas with relatively low overhead. Unity can put together some monster maps. I think that hardware puts a practical limit on the size of game maps.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

Unity can easily handle suspension, doesn't require any special programming really. The default Unity scene used to be a car you could drive.

7. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

Why would this require extra CPU? You'd just total the mass in each cargo box block when adding/removing from it. The math to add each item to this total could be done 700 times a second on a calculator watch. A modern CPU/GPU can translate and draw millions of polygons a frame 90 times a second.

Mortlath, eLLe and Androniko like this.
  8. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

I don't see how portion of features unimplemented from previous survey, would in any way make the new one redundant. Assume for sake of example, that there had been features in old survey that 90% of people voted, and features that 10% of people voted. If the more popular features had now been implemented, and meanwhile new possible features came up.. it would make sense to toss all the currently potential features (the old "10% features" and the new available ones) into new survey, and see what the opinions look like now - are some of the "10% features" now more popular, or does majority of people feel like the new options should come before them.

Regardless of how many of the things from previous survey managed to get implemented, it's a good idea to poll the opinions from time to time.

Mortlath, 1979danb, old_guy and 2 others like this.
  9. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Indeed. Unity has built in wheel collider object that takes care of wheel object physics. You do need to code a controller script in C# for your vehicle. Unity provides a good example in their documentation.

Christianholmes and Kassonnade like this.
  10. Mireru

Mireru Lieutenant

I voted for the larger worlds, with oceans of flowing water..filled with critters and caves and random PoI... going around in subs and torpedo scooters (DPV)... hullbreaches flooding out your gardens etc

...but my computer informed me via popup we're getting a divorce if you do.

Be gentle? =P

11. TK85

TK85 Captain

For those who like numbers, some more:

2017-12-09.png

Personally I think the development is going well, but they should focus more on "Major Features".

* Correction:
    54% of the last survey was completed or partially completed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Kassonnade, Jᴧgᴧ, Slimer and 4 others like this.
  12. old_guy

old_guy Captain

Does anyone have an idea about what feature is being referred to by this remark in the announcement?

"PS: Are you missing a feature from the survey answers that has been discussed in the forums? Stay tuned for the feature reveal of Alpha 7.5 next week ;-)"

Runeshadow likes this.
  13. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Yes, the red barrier (and spherical planets) are a major, a really major code overhaul that needs time to code.
    And while I'm sure too that Eleon is working on that, I don't think we will see that available in the near future.

BUT... the green border and / or bigger planets on the other hand, are having nothing to do with spherical planets.
    I'm realling in for that particular change to happen way way earlier (soon™)...

Sofianinho likes this.
  14. Cleff

Cleff Captain

I believe they were referring specifically to the ability to harness solar power through solar panels. Reference the General Discussion post by Hummel below.
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-7-5-teaser-harness-the-power-of-the-sun.33685/

We thought it was included in the "other power sources" category with wind and geothermal but apparently not.

15. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

I think this is where they reveal which features will be in the next update. And it is the last day of the week.

16. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Captain

Crickets.....Crickets

Runeshadow likes this.
  17. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Cant remove the green barrier until the planets go round.

More surveys is better than less or none.

Mireru gets comments of the day !

ion_storm, TK85 and binhthuy71 like this.
  18. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

Can't check back on the survey now that I've gone through it, but I don't remember seeing the automatic repair of destroyed blocks in it. There was the physical shipyard, but that's not the same thing. It would make me happy if that was implemented relatively soon - it's the main issue that's currently keeping me from playing the game. It's certainly a feature that's been discussed on forums, at length.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Thundercraft likes this.
  19. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Exp branch has solar power. It will likely be in the next general release.

20. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

Wasn't alternate power sources in survey though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.