Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Ranger, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Ranger

Ranger Rear Admiral

Sigh we've been infected. ANYTHING other than rcs. :p
    But Pyston, since you brought it up, yeah, theres a hardcap on how much torque can be applied. a 39kt vessel, Im guessing (I tested this on a 31.something kT vessel, and its cap was 700MNm) would be around 1000 MNm so, two T2 RCS is gonna do her up and anything over that just reduces your numbers because its just added mass.

2. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Ya its too much though, if the mouse held the turn it would not be that bad, but the second you let go from moving the mouse the ships fly straight. A player should not have to lift their mouse 20x over to make a giant arcing u turn ESP when the mouse is set fairly sensitive. Cv's should be slower turning no doubt, but this rate of slow removes ALL ability to navigate in a fight. Flying Cv's into asteroid fields is now a thing of the past. I am really not liking this, so much in fact it makes me want to quit and I have never said that before about Empyrion. Every CV I made is useless now.

Ranger likes this.
  3. Ranger

Ranger Rear Admiral

Yup. Every CV EVER MADEBY ANYONE is useless now. Im pretty sure they got the hint very quickly though. The announcement thread is literally 15 pages of screaming about the RCS nerf. For once, I'm not one of the screamers. I did some testing, posted my results, suggested they may have made a serious error, in my special tone that leaves no doubts... you know. I agree completely with the mouse thing, it would be liveable, still horrible, but playable at least if you could use the mouse to control the cv, but you cant. you gotta take your mouse hand, put it on the arrow keys... I think if they can come up with a way to make the ship continue to follow the mouse, people might calm down a bit, but its still pretty serious. And theyve gone about the formulas wrong. But anyways... this thread was for NON rcs stuff. ;)

4. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

Yeah the handling of ships, or the way we can control them needs to get some love. I prefer the simulated type controls that you see in games like Mechwarrior, Elite Dangerous(though not full simulation), and Star Citizen.

ion_storm, Pyston and rainyday like this.
  5. Valdimarian

Valdimarian Commander

So about the survival shack. I don't see a problem with it, and in fact I see a hint of what I hope will be a change to the current tech tree! That random console deco? I suspect it'll be replaced with the eventual replacement for the tech tree, maybe some sort of science scanner that you bring stuff to be scanned and advance the tech tree that way.

Ranger and rainyday like this.
  6. huhlig

huhlig Captain

The survival shack really doesn't make sense is all. Although with the additions of actual people on this deserted environment it makes even less sense now. What classical motivation does the player have to play Robinson Crusoe, when traders are available nearby. Where did the survival shack come from, who built it and why. I can see crash landing and then heading to the wreckage of the Titan (your ship). Break off the bridge of the Titan and make it a new Point of interest and use the bridge of the titan as your survival shack. At least that literarily makes sense. Part of telling a good story is making sure the motivations you are giving your protagonist make some logical sense and you avoid creating questions you never intend to answer unless they fit the narrative.

As for tech tree changes that makes even more sense to use the titan. Especially if story wise you were a lowly technician with a basic education but not necessarily a full understanding of the design of all the titan's systems. Tie research to repairing the titan bridge enough to access its design documentation(your progression model). You can ditch the titan bridge logically about the point you're smart enough to build at least a small shuttle with a computer you can take with you. Your low level progression is tied to your repair of the computer, and your high level progression is tied to... decrypting the high level data or recomputing the pieces missing from memory. Obviously the technology already exists, your civilization built it. You are not the scientist. You are an engineer, and given that you can only build basic things, you logically need to either find or redesign recipes for higher level tech, likely by filling in the blanks from something like the titan's memory core.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Ranger likes this.
  7. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

@huhlig that only makes sense for Akua starts. I'm still not really a fan of the starter wreckage bases. But I had a lot more fun with this restart with just getting my starting items out of it and just abandoning it right away. If i havent found plastic and fiber by the time i have a multi-tool, then i can come back to it and pull the 2 plots out of it. Especially because ever since they introduced the starter bases, i have had Patrol CV's show up at some point before the end of day 2 to smash it. A lot more fun looking for a start location of *my* choice, like it was before.

I'm loving the night vision, like others have said it seems a tiny bit too bright, but otherwise very realistic. (ive blinded myself with it so many times already, lol)

Patrol Cv's are still really buggy where they get locked up on a target after a while (like the smashed starter base) and stop patrolling and just pitch around kinda wildly in the air until they eventually de-spawn after several days. Since they haven't put in a delay on them spawning in yet (like giving the player a few days of breathing room before patrolling) It means they aren't a threat later, just at the start, the one time that it is incredibly difficult to deal with them.

The new booster icons are nice, but a little bright. I open a container and they pop visually like "AHA! LOOK UPON ME AND WEEP WITH JOY! YOU CAN GO IN SPACE NOW!"

rainyday likes this.
  8. huhlig

huhlig Captain

No argument for that in the slightest. I was meaning if Eleon insists on a starter POI, then use the titan as a logical start. It wouldn't have to be the bridge either, it could have been anywhere on the ship, or even a larger more logically built ship (given that the titan seems to be missing basics like living quarters, medbay, etc). The bridge was just an easy explanation for a small self contained POI from the titan. You could also stuff a couple growing blocks or other materials in a container as well. I prefer stocking an Escape Pod with basics (gun, bullets, emergency rations, medicine, drill, chainsaw, constructor, o2 generator) and let you find the rest. If properly rebalanced, change the requirements for growing blocks to be steel, concrete, or wood, nutrient solution (water and spoiled food), and rock. Maybe make a new soil item made from spoiled food too. Why it requires plastic and why it only grows with a grow light is beyond me. Sunlight should work just as well.

9. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

for the plants in the environment that you pick and can make seeds from, sure. But the random-drop only ones (tomatoes, durrians, pumpkins, wheat, etc) could have special light requirements that the natural sun in this system doesnt satisfy, hence you cant find them growing naturally anywhere.

It is less about reality though and more about a way to code them so all the plants fit into one mold for all locations and situations.

rainyday likes this.
  10. huhlig

huhlig Captain

I know that it's a gamification. Although I do find it funny that random earth plants exist in the inventory of the natives in large quantities.

Zor_The_Cruel and Ranger like this.
  11. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

I have been remiss in praising the new Control Panel.
    <Gush>
    It makes the entire game so much better. This is a VAST improvement, and I offer my thanks and congratulations without reservation or qualification.
    </endgush>

12. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@Ballard Indeed. I tried to praise the new Control Panel in the announcement thread - but all I managed to do was pour more gas on the RCS nerf discussion with my poor ship stats... :rolleyes:

It is really good and welcomed addition. And its still WIP :eek:

Zor_The_Cruel likes this.
  13. foxes

foxes Lieutenant

The inconvenience with the RCS not so much the speed of rotation as in the reference to the speed of rotation of the camera to the ship. It would be easier to rotate the camera with the same speed but not less than turning steerable vehicle. The vehicle must rotate with its speed in the camera position. In principle, reducing cornering speeds reasonable for large ships, they should be clumsy.

14. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

This is not the thread you are looking for ;)

15. foxes

foxes Lieutenant

What about camera rotation?

rainyday likes this.
  16. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

We now need IR scopes please.
    And rangefinder modules for SV/CV. (to give the distance of the nearest object inside your crosshair like the T2 sniper)

Zor_The_Cruel and Ranger like this.
  17. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Certainly. My bad, was too hasty/did not read properly (im just seeing RCS everywhere...) :)

18. foxes

foxes Lieutenant

But it was necessary for a full understanding. Actually probably need a separate issue for discussion of the complexity of the mechanics of this process.

Also there are many pitfalls in task information of the sight camera and the direction of the gun. As the ship in this case
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XsySDR

rainyday likes this.
  19. Ranger

Ranger Rear Admiral

And Zirax carrying canned tomatoes...

Zor_The_Cruel likes this.
  20. Ranger

Ranger Rear Admiral

THIS
    IS
    GOOD