Feedback on version 1.3

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Robot Shark, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I started a new game in v1.3 and here is what I have observed so far.

No Zirax dreadnought/destroyer in the starter system. YAY!
    That thing has given me so much grief in the past, I am glad it is gone.

On that note, it's a little too easy with it gone.
    Perhaps use the planetary patrol vessel in the starter systems?
    For a nifty feature, have it chase you from the planet and into space.

Speaking of the patrol vessel, it finally came after me and I shot it down. Then I had a devil of a time trying to scrap it. It kept moving on the ground, always bouncing and never standing still. If I ran into it I ended up punting it across the playfield. I even tried god mode with noclip and I still ended up punting it every time I ran into it.

I plan a start a new game so hopefully I repeat the issue and submit a bug report with the patrol vessel shot down in front of me.

I am very curious about what changed in the attack/defense calculations from 1.2 to 1.3.
    The v2 in the screenshot was blueprinted in v1.2, the v3 was blueprinted in v1.3.
    The v3 has almost the exact same armaments as the v2, with 3 pulse lasers added.
    So why is it's attack value so much lower than the v2?

20201202173447_1.jpg

The infantry (Atk/Def) is new, I'm guessing that pertains to BA's?
    It does not update on my BA's saved under 1.2, so I'm guessing that the blueprint needs to be saved under the new version for it to update.

I really wish that you could see the CPU information without having to scroll.
    Back to kicking the tires, I will post new feedback after I have progressed further in the story line.

Kassonnade likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I might need to update an info thread, but as a brief summary

Combat = all the large turrets and fixed weapons
    Infantry = basically all NPCs that spawn + Sentries

Attack = Calculated from DPM of weapon, Reload time, Clipsize etc pp
    Defense = Basically HP of turrets etc.

Note: the Combat/Infantry only takes devices that have a relevant function to the survivability. What means: If you put your generator on the outside of the hull, it does not matter if your ship is made fully of Combat Steel. (Thus, pure building blocks are not reflected in the calculation, just offensive/defensive and function devices like turrets, guns, thrusters, cockpits, generators and shield)

3. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I guess I did not phrase the statement correctly.
    I was wondering why a ship saved in 1.2 had a higher attack value than a ship with more weapons in 1.3.
    The v3 has almost the exact same weapons loadout as the v2, but I added 6 pulse lasers to it.
    6 more weapons, and the attack value went down by 228 points.

4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I have a question for the builder of the new Derelict Ship.
    Did you intend to use Exploding Blocks (radius) instead of Exploding Blocks (self)?
    (I'm guessing that's what you used).

I flipped the wrong switch in the hangar when I arrived and was instantly killed.
    I was also insta-killed multiple times while exploring by other exploding blocks.

On the other note, that ship is very well designed and it took me a very long time to make my way through it.
    I also like that you have to think in 3 dimensions to get through.
    I'm just worried that it may be too difficult for a POI in a starter system.

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Probably because the calculation was refined - it was not yet final in 1.2, but it should be getting there soon.

Also: You need to re-save the blueprint for the data to update to the new calcluation as this is tied to the "bluepring header".

What you can do > check the console 'help prefabinfo' > there is a batch command that can do the "updating" without you needing to spawn and resave >> use the '-touch' command with the batch.

Robot Shark likes this.
  6. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

The exploding blocks (radius) is intended to destroy the switch and console it's mounted on. It shouldn't harm the player unless you're standing next to the console or behind it since the explosive block is behind the console and explodes 3x3x3 centered on the block.

Ideally, it shouldn't be in the starter orbit. Though since it's in space, reaching it is only possible with a ship. If you have one of those, you have the weapons and equipment to beat it.
    Unfortunately, the ONLY option for it to spawn is in the starter orbit or EVERY orbit. Because there's only starter-orbit and everywhere-else-orbit as an option for playfields. Ideally, there should be an orbit playfield for every planet type, not just the starters (which also share the same orbit and moon playfields). Otherwise, the game is limited to putting missions only in the starter system.

Robot Shark likes this.
  7. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Should be star type and planet type as well as starter planet and start solar system.

You may not want something in the starting solar system at all, or only in a specific planet type in the starting system perhaps?

8. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Thank you for this, a thousand times thank you.
    I did not know a batch command existed for updating the header on blueprints and have been dreading updating all of my blueprints manually.

Maybe mention this command in the release notes? (I will kick myself if you did and I missed it.)

*** edit ***
    I tried "prefabinfo $all -touch" and checked my blueprints, many were given Atk/Def values of 0 and the values for the v2 did not change.
    Did I use the wrong command?

I noticed that the command supports $stock, $intern, & $all but I do not see a flag for $own.
    When I used $all I did not see any of my blueprint names in the output.
    (But that was pretty long and I'm betting it was cut off.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  9. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I did a little experimentation and found out that if you update the "group" manually the rest of the numbers update automatically but I think that is based on when the blueprint was saved because the numbers for the v2 and v3 did not change.

However...
    Before:
    20201204135607_1.jpg

After:
    20201204135615_1.jpg

10. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I guess I was a little too close then.
    I was killed twice by the exploding blocks.
    Once when I flipped the switch in the hanger, which really annoyed me.
    The second time when I was walking down a hallway.
    Just >boom< >splat< dead.

Germanicus likes this.
  11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I just wanted to say something.
    I started a new game when the new version came out and I have been noticing little things.
    Little modifications to the POI's like the club that make it look nicer.
    I do not know who is making those little tweaks, but I felt they deserve a kudos.

Back to playing through the storyline.

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  12. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Question, is the patrol vessel supposed to be hanging out by the Heidelberg and the Monolith?
    I normally use the swamp starter, and I have been finding it hanging out in that area every time I start a new game.
    I try very hard to avoid it but I think it's a little too powerful to encounter that early in the game.

20201215121820_1.jpg

Germanicus likes this.
  13. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I should have said this sooner, but starting the player with a multitool and color/texture tool when they start a creative game is a nice touch.

... but, perhaps add some ammo for the multitool?

Even better, a creative-only multitool that does not require ammo?

14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I know that we are beyond the experimental phase for 1.3 but I have some more feedback.

I finished Ancient Revelations and I will say that the new Derelict Ship is now (by far) the most difficult POI I have encountered while playing the story line.

The mobs are overwhelming and I have to wonder what the crew compliment of the ship was.
    I lost count of how many times the Nightmares killed me, and I had to run back for ammo many times.
    After you get killed there are few shortcuts back to where you were, so you take the long way back.
    Many times I got lost looking for objectives.

That single Legacy turret? I had a devil of a time trying to get past that.

For the final ironic touch, I was jetpacking around the core, looking for a way out, when the core exploded.

I think the balance of the POI should be reviewed. But thats just my two cents.

Sup likes this.
  15. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Also my feedback on Derelict Ship. Note: spoilers ahead.

Generally speaking it was too tough, too long and too convoluted. I did it in two sessions, too.

Kudos for a very cool and immersive build. Loved the detail and the ship design especially the engineering and bridge areas.

The whole unlocking-of-doors-that-were-previously-locked shtick got a bit old. My brain was starting to turn to mush with all the backtracking. I swear if I read "Door not accessible wrong faction" or whatever one more time...

Not a fan of mobs spawning right in your face. Once or twice for the shock value is OK but more than that and it becomes too cheesy. At least there were no sentry guns popping out from a panel after you walk past.

If you incorporate special environmental areas (like that bit leading to the broken turbine switch which is -200 deg C or something) then provide a suit locker nearby. I came prepared with a variety of suit buffs (already on the suit and others in my inventory) but changing into an EVA upgrade required a long backtrack to the last known location of a suit locker. You're actually not exposed that long if you jet pack quick enough but unless one knows that ahead of time (and if someone has the forethought to bring along the exact upgrade they need for the situation they're gonna want to use it).

Having done the old Ilmarin about four times I knew to bring plenty of anti-toxin and biohazard meds but I kinda expected more replacement meds from lockers and such as I progressed through the POI.

I was at a loss to find the switch for the lower level blast door (the one on the lowest level of the warp drive chamber). The broken turbine switch had me wondering what to do next other than backtracking through the whole ship again looking for another clue. After searching for a while I finally godmoded around the warp drive area until I stumbled upon the operational switch. Was it really necessary to have the first switch broken after already having to knock out a sentry turret and fly through a -200 deg C area to get to it? Anyway, continuing on...

The laser turret almost took my head off. Of course I scouted with the personal drone first but I didn't recognize what that red thing at the bottom of the shaft was (no new player would and I've started six(?) games and I haven't seen one up close yet either) and as I poked my head out I almost died (300 to 24 health in 1/2 second). It was a good thing I ducked back out when I did because normally you can take a few hits from a sentry gun while you figure out where it's shooting from. Anyway, after looking around for some switch to deactivate it I gave up and godmoded around the area to see what the solution was supposed to be. I guess you're supposed to parkour hop on or use those floating upside down cones as cover to get past it? There's no knocking it off with a weapon (I checked and it was 3500 health or something and the plasma gun I bought from the Polaris trading station barely takes 150 points off of it per hit).

Anyway, I was far too tired to try the parkour-past-your-not-so-friendly-near-insta-death-beam thing and frankly I godmoded it the rest of the way. It looked like it was near the end and I felt I'd already killed more than my fair share of spiders, mechs, Infected, Overseers, Nightmares already and a turret designed to put holes into CV's was more than I wanted to deal with at that point (and tbh I was too tired to care) and just wanted to end it already.

Minor observation but it would've been a nice touch to be able to fit the Destroyed SV into the hanger. It's sort of part of the chapter but it's juust a bit too wide for the bay doors.

After the purge of container 4 (yet another backtrack) there is no hint as to what to do next. I kinda just meandered my way back to the warp drive and followed the screeching noises. I liked the previous instructions from the hologram console:

"Access the container maintenance console below the landing platform (Deck 3). You are on Deck 1" (paraphrasing from my notes).

That was excellent and the most immersive bit of the mission. For once I felt I had an objective and a clue as to what to do next. Need a few more examples of that instead of all the hunting around for whatever door was unlocked behind you.

I think the loot is fine: I'll take the large thrusters, warp drive, mining laser, CPU devices, etc. any day over a few more epic weapons (and you actually do get a couple of epic pistols).

Given the convoluted-ness and difficulty I don't think I'll be doing that chapter again in a future game. If I do do it again it would be in several trips so I'm fresh for each portion. The old Ilmarin although also long was at least linear and repeating it again in another game start wasn't too much of a hassle.

This is all meant as constructive: I still massively enjoyed the immersiveness and the build was quite frankly an eyegasm -- just tone it down and linear-ize it a bit and it'd be perfect (and replace the laser with something less lethal -- no one wants to run into THAT after already plowing through all the other spawns). Still not sure how one gets past it legitimately, tbh.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021